LXV. Heartwarming

Joshua's POV:

Mom knocked against the door.

Melanie flings open the door, and anger was an understatement. She looks like she aged overnight. My eyes skew behind her, and I saw Juliette all beaten up. Her hair tangled across her face, and there were bruises and cuts all over. She wipes the blood from her lips.

Melanie pushes the door close to us, preventing us from seeing Juliette. "What do you want?"

"Joshua," mom said. I press a hand against the door and push it open.

"What are you-"

Mom pushes past Melanie and heads towards Juliette. She exhales softly, "Let's go." She held out a hand.

Juliette bit her lower cut lip and grabbed it.

"Juliette. I swear-" Melanie marches towards Juliette and mom.

I stood between them. "Don't touch my mom."

Melanie knew she couldn't fight against me even if she wanted to. But, I can say. The woman can really give out a death glare. Mom led Juliette out of the room.

"You think he wants you?" Melanie screams. "He doesn't want a child like you!"

Inside the car, Juliette cried. She didn't say anything, just cry on mom's shoulder.

Dinner was spent in silence.

Caleb leaned towards me, "She's really our older sister?" He whispers.

I shrug, "Eat your peas."

"Juliette," mom said. Everyone pauses. "Do you have anything to do tomorrow?"

Juliette immediately swallows her food. I can see her struggling to get it down. After we got back to the mansion, mom called in for a doctor to treat Juliette's wounds. The doctor said they were all surface wounds, but Juliette has to be careful, so she doesn't get an infection. "No, Mrs.Greyson."

"Would you like to accompany me tomorrow to the store?"

Juliette smiles despite the pain in one of her black eyes. Yes, a black eye. I didn't notice it at the motel, but on our way back, one of her eyes turned black. It was apparent someone - Melanie - punched her.

"I would love to Mrs.Greyson."

Mom smiles softly before resuming her dinner.

I watch as Juliette shoves the food inside her mouth as if she hadn't had a proper meal in a long time. She barely touched the food the first time I saw her.

"Slow down, or you may choke," mom said.

Juliette places the fork down and carefully chews the food in her mouth. I can see it, the smile.

Soon, dinner was over, and we all went back into our bedrooms. I laid in the backyard and exhaled heavily. It's been a long week.

"Josh," Jada said.

I open my eyes, "Yes?"

"Here is the phone you asked for, and everything is transferred. Don't worry. We erased everything on your old phone," she informs me.

I grab the phone, "Thanks, Jada."

"De nada," she responds before heading back inside the house.

I turn on the new cell phone and instantly set a password. Then, it arrives, the stream of calls and messages. I'm not surprised. I packed up and left without a single word.

When I saw Hailey's phone calls and messages, I clicked on them. There were streams of messages on whether or not I'm still angry at her. I can tell she's sad.