LXIV. Getting Juliette

Joshua's POV:

"We're going to get Juliette?" Dad mimics mom like a parrot.

"Josh and I will go. You go to work."

"I can go-"

"No," she didn't even hesitate. "You can't go." Mom glares at him. "Did you want to go to meet your old lover?"

Oh shit. She's jealous. "No," dad immediately responds. "I do not want to meet her. And she's not my love. If I could, I would never see her. If possible, I do not want to see any females."

Mom stares at him. "Then, what about me? Am I not a female?"

Dad's lips twitch slightly before he looks at me. His eyes went toward the door. It wasn't difficult to pick up the signal.

Steadily, I got up. The chair scrapes against the floor. "I have to go use the restroom." I left the room.

"Short Stack-" I knew it. "You know you're the only female in my life," he cooed. "No one else."

"No one?"

"No one."

"And you never love that other woman?"

"No. You're my first love. My only love. The only woman I can ever love."

I'm grateful that dad gave me the signal to leave the room. I don't know if I can stomach this conversation.

In the evening, dad left for work. Let's say everyone around the house and at the company was relieved.

If my parents were to ever divorce, things would get messy. The news media will eat us up. Who will get custody of the children? What will the ex-Mrs.Greyson do with her fortune? (Mom didn't sign a prenup.) Did Mr.Greyson cheat on his soon-to-be ex-wife? The media will somehow twist the story and make it a lot worse. Like somehow, I tried to kill myself with drugs because my parents are separated.

Least to say, nowadays, dad pays an extremely high price to keep us all out of the media.

Mom kisses everyone's forehead. "Mommy and your big brother will be back soon. Be good. I love you all, my precious babies." We will always be mom's babies even when we're taller than her.

"We love you, mommy," they all said.

From behind mom, I gave them two thumbs up.

Mom presses her hand against her chest. "What did I do to get such wonderful children?"

Well, considering how you whoop our ass whenever we're bad, we can't help but be afraid of you. I'm not joking. Mom spanked us when we were younger.

I remember I went rebellious when I was around twelve. I got cocky when I realized the importance of my status and talked back to my parents. I would push others around, and no one would talk back. I even pick up smoking a few times.

I told her I want to be independent, and how she isn't the boss of me, how she can't control my life—all the good stuff.

She gave me independence.

She forced me to get a job and pay rent. When I didn't, she kicked me out. The only thing I got was the clothes on my back. Hit a friend's house. She called that friend's parents and told them that she took me out of the family tree. She told them they could adopt me.

The further she pushed.

The more I pushed back.

I didn't believe she would do it until the lawyers showed up. She disowned me in front of everyone and said that she didn't want to have a son like me.