LVIII. All that Matters

Alice's POV:

Rolling my shirt up, I pressed the warm egg against my bruising stomach. Attempting to even my breath, I leaned my head back to look at the ceiling.

"Don't cry, Alice. You'll be okay," I mumbled.

A low knock caught my attention. Holding a hand against the railing of my bed, I stood up. Steadily, I limped towards the door.

Cracking it open, he stood there, eyes flat on the carpet. He pushed the door but didn't step inside. He held my shirt and lifted it to reveal the red and purple bruise.

I smiled at him as he dropped my shirt. "Welcome back, dad."

He placed a hand on my head, causing me to freeze. My breath shook as he stroked my hair. "What happened?"

I bite my trembling lips, "I fell down the stairs."

He nodded, stroking my wet cheeks. "That's my Princess," he walks away. Dad stops walking, "So, you're dating that Neilson boy."

My grip tightened on the knob. "Yes, dad."

"Don't get pregnant," his voice was lethal. He walked into his bedroom, closing the door without sparing me a glance.

I stood there, staring at the wooden door as the tears dripped down my chin, soaking the carpets. "Why do you have to come back now."

The next morning, I stood in front of the mirror, staring at the bruise. I grabbed a shirt and pulled it down. The bell rang, and I rushed downstairs to see dad opening the door.

Neilson was on the other side, "Mr.Lee, you're back in town."

Dad smiled, "Hello Neilson. Are you here for Alice?"

He nodded, then peeked over dad's shoulder and waved at me. Neilson looks back at dad, "I understand this is odd due to the age difference, but I'm serious about Al-"

Dad chuckled, patting Neilson's shoulder. "No need to explain, son, your mom told me everything. I trust you," he smiled, and Neilson blew out a deep breath. He turned towards me, "Princess, your boyfriend is here."

Neilson chuckled awkwardly and waved at me. I smiled, "Let me grab my stuff," I said, and he nodded.

Rushing upstairs, I can hear dad trying to be a dad and talked with Neilson about me. I bite my tongue, wanting to applaud his performance.

Jogging back downstairs, Neilson and dad were laughing over something. They stopped when I walked over, uncomfortably shifting my body. Neilson grabbed my bag, laying it on his shoulder. "I got it," he said, then turned towards dad.

"Take care of her," dad said.

Neilson gave him an affirmative nod then shook his hand. "I will, sir," he glanced at me, "I'll wait in the car."

Digging my nail down my finger, I looked at dad, whose smile disappeared when Neilson turned around the corner. "Behave," his tone, firmed.

Clenching my hands together, I bit my lower lips. "I will, dad."

He brushed my hair back. "I miss you," he wrapped his arms around me. My breath hitched, my body froze at his touch as he rubbed my back. "Don't leave daddy, okay, Princess? Remember, we only have each other," he whispered. His grip was tight, almost lethal.

I nodded my head, laying it on his chest, gripping onto his shirt. "I won't."

He unwrapped his arms, and I took a step back, seeing Neilson smiling on the side as he walked back towards us. "I'll bring her back," he reassured dad.