LXXX. 1+1 is not Always 2

Alice's POV:

Marvin smiles, then pushes his dark blue cap to cover his dulled eyes. He was in a white shirt, covered by a dark silver zipped up jacket. His ripped blue jeans hung on his waist, ending with dark sneakers, white laces dirtied by the dirty water outside. Hands firmly tucked inside his loose pockets.

Grabbing the top of the chair, he pulled it out, causing a squeaking sound. He sat down and cupped his hands together. His eyes went down, "Can I have a taste?"

I push it over to him.

He grabs the cup, linking the edge with his lips, then smacks it together, "Not bad, orange?"

I nod.

"Weird. I usually see you with coffee."

"The smell of coffee has been making me nauseous."

Marvin settled it down and resumed his previous actions. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

My teeth started chattering, despite the warm atmosphere inside the room. "You're alive."

He smiles, "I'm alive."

I swallow and return his smile, "And in one piece."

Marvin looks up and down his body, spreading his arms slightly. "One whole piece."

"You didn't pick up my calls."

His brows deepen across his chiseled features. "You don't seem to know how going into hiding works."

"You're going into hiding?"

He stood up, causing the chair behind him to creak once more, and placed a hand on my forehead. "Are you sick?"

I bit my lips and shook my head, "Perfectly healthy."

He sat down, rolling the cup on his palms, "Do you know it's possible to die of a broken heart?"

I blink, eyes cast on his, "You can?"

Marvin nods, eyes analyzing my body. "You lost weight."

I chuckle, "How would you know? I'm wearing like five sweaters."

Cautiously, his hand reached for mine, thumb grazing my sleeves up, feeling my skeleton flesh. "You lost weight," he repeats, eyes daring me to lie.

I withdraw my hand, pulling the light brown sleeve down. Pushing my hands between my thighs, I shifted back and forth. Marvin smiled a small one and withdrew his hand from the table.

"A-A lot of things are going on," I mumbled.

"Such as?"

"Such as my so-called hero behaving as he is dead for weeks after rescuing me."

He chuckles, leaning back against the chair. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder," he winks.

I laughed lightly but didn't respond.

"But, the person you're missing isn't me, is it?"

"I also miss Randy."

Marvin ran his tongue across his cheek. "I heard what happened. I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing for something that had nothing to do with you?"

There were glass clinking in the background as we sat there, staring at each other. After some time, Marvin nods, "You're right. It's not my fault that he died. Let me rephrase it, my condolences."

"Thank you for your condolences."

My thumb rolls around each other, "There is a reason why you're here, isn't it?"