Parallel Word: The Portal (Part II)

Alice twirls the ring around her left finger. When it slips off, she sees the light-tanned outline underneath. Despite spending most of her life inside her lab, her skin underneath the ring was somehow lighter.

To her, that color shows loyalty.

After Neilson passed, Alice never once took off the ring.

At one point in her life, with her family and friend's encouragement, she did try dating again.

But, every time she sits at the table with a stranger on the other side, her sight somehow finds its way back to the ring.

And, she can't find it in herself to move forward.

Emerson sat down beside her, "I can't believe you're doing this." He turns toward her, "Are you sure you don't want to wait for a few years? Maybe after we learn more about this."

Alice slips the ring back on, "A few years? Do we even have that much time left?"

Silence drops into the room and they find themselves staring at the black hole.

Emerson's phone rings.

Alice chuckles when he pulls out a cell phone. "You still use those things?"

Thirty years ago, after the government decided that electronic corporations were getting too powerful, they split them apart. After the split, the government sponsored multiple small businesses to compete with other countries.

But to sponsor these small businesses, the government started a new bill to tax religious donations. But, those taxes supported the small business, and Alice happened to be one of them. She didn't figure out how holograms work, but she did encourage the person who did. 

Emerson exhales, "Jack says he can't deal with those holograms stuff." He slides across the screen and presses the phone against his ear, "What's up?"

"When are you going to come home?"

Emerson looks at his watch, "Probably around 6? Why?"

"Did you forget?"

"Forget?"

"I knew you'd forget." He exhales, "We're supposed to meet the kids early for dinner before we visit Piper. Remember?"

"Oh. Yes." Emerson pinches his forehead, "Sorry Jack. There's so much going on here and-"

"It's fine. Pick up some flowers on the way back and we'll meet you there. Alright?"

"Alright."

The phone calls end.

"Alice-"

"It's okay. Go. Today is an important day."

Today is the anniversary of Piper's death.

Birthdays, wedding anniversaries, Valentines, holidays.

Emerson and Jackson never once missed spending those days with Piper.

After thirty wonderful years of marriage, Piper passed because of cancer.

At first, it was painful but as time passed it got easier. Unlike many people who couldn't find someone who shares the same tragic pain - Jackson and Emerson did.

They became each other pillars, forming a bond no one else could understand.

"Go to your husband and wife," Alice says.

Emerson smiles, "Fine. But, don't you dare leave until I come back."

Alice smiles, "We'll see."

Emerson got up and made his way to the exit. He stops, walks back, and hugs Alice. Emerson closes his eyes to stop the tears from flowing. "Be happy."

The tears fall to her quivering lips, "I am happy."

After two weeks of saying goodbye, Alice's heart was still not ready to leave. No one found joy in her decision, but no one prevented her from leaving. Because they know.

Closure.

As you grow older, you're bound to lose those you cherished.

Hellos.

Goodbyes.

But, what if there were no goodbyes?

No goodbyes.

No closures.

And that's what Alice Lee needs - closure.

After Emerson left, Alice sat inside the laboratory and continued to stare at the hole. Many different scenarios dive into her head.

She could travel to the past.

But, will she stay the same?

What would happen if she found herself before the accident?

Would the world change?

What if she travels back after the accident?

What if she never went back in time at all?

What if there's nothing on the other side?

"Mom."

Alice got off the table, "Ryder. Why are you here?"

After all the goodbyes, Alice had one last request - it's for no one to be there while she's gone.

Why?

Because she knows if someone was there, someone she loves, she wouldn't be able to leave.

Ryder smiles, his red swollen eyes narrow, "What kind of son would I be if I let my beautiful mother do this all on her own?"

Alice embraces Ryder. "I love you."

"I love you too Mom."

It was supposed to be a short last goodbye, but it wasn't. They couldn't find it in themselves to say: "It's time." Alice and Ryder sat in the large laboratory room and talked. Seconds turn into minutes, minutes into hours. Smiles become tears and tears become laughter.

Until finally...

"Ready?" Ryder asks.

Alice exhales a sharp breath, "Ready."

Ryder presses one button...two...and then a switch.

The machine turns on.

Alice takes a step forward.

"Mom-"

She stops and turns around.

"Tell Dad I said: hi."

"Anything else?"

"Basketball," Ryder says. "I've always wanted to learn how to play basketball."

Ryder knows he will never learn how to play basketball from his dad. At least not this version of him.

Alice smiles, "Definitely."

Alice turns back to the portal and exhales a deep breath. Her moist fingers wiggle and she closes her eyes.

She could go back in time or...this could be the end of Alice Lee.