XXIV. Liar Liar

Alice's POV:

I skipped school for the week.

I hear another ding on my phone, knowing it's another message asking me if I'm okay. Everyone thinks I'm crying in despair inside my bedroom because of my break up and I intended to keep them thinking that way.

I grab my jacket to cover up the faint bruises. Holding the powder, I put on the last bit of makeup and looked at the mirror to practice my smile.

"I'm fine. Thank you for asking."

I pause, inhaling another breath.

"Yes, the breakup was hard, so I needed some time alone."

I nod to myself. "Good enough," I mumbled, standing up to go to the grocery store. When I walked downstairs, there was some money in the usual spot. I grab the shoes and head outside. The sun hit my eyes, and I slipped on my sunglasses.

When I hear a car honking, I turn around to see Neilson and Marvin. My heart froze when Neilson gave Marvin a quick word then jogged over to me.

I played with my long sleeves, "H-Hi."

He bent his legs, concerned eyes staring at me. "What happened?"

"What do you mean?"

He placed a hand on my arm, and I flinched. "Last week, I thought we were going to bake together, and I haven't seen you this past week."

"My dad asked me to do something, so I must have forgotten. Sorry, Muffin."

He glances down at my bag. "Going shopping?" He asks, and I nod. "Need a ride?"

I smile, "Please."

I sat in the car, looking at Neilson and Marvin talking about something. Neilson would turn towards me, waving his hand, which I return. Soon, he slips into the car, and we wave Marvin goodbye.

Arriving at the market, Neilson helped me pick out the food. I push the cart around, wondering what I should cook this week. My feet stopped moving when two hands grabbed the bar from behind me. He held my hands, pushing the cart forward, placing his chin on top of my head.

"I think you need spinach," he hums, grabbing a bag, throwing it inside the cart.

"If you want to push the cart, you can say so," I mumble.

He shook his head, "No, I like this position."

My eyes widened when I saw a few students from the school, and I turned around.

"What's wrong?" Neilson asked.

"Th-They are from my school," I mumble into his chest, feeling his arms wrap around my shoulder, pulling me in.

I can see their shoes passing us, and I held onto him tighter. "Are they gone?" I whisper.

"No."

We continue standing there, his chest-beating inconsiderably loud. My head lifts, meeting his browns, staring at me, so seductively. "They're gone, aren't they?" I ask.

A foolish smile appears on his face. "Maybe."

I punch his arm.

Soon, we finish, and Neilson helps me with the groceries. I pack the stuff inside the bags, seeing him taking out his card. Instantly, I drop the milk, rushing towards him. "What are you doing?"

"Paying?" he snorts, turning towards the cashier. "Card," he said.

I shake my head towards the cashier. "No, cash."