XIII. Moving On

Alice's POV:

My body feels tense as I stand there, staring into Neilson's room. Tears were dripping downward as he hovered over the same blonde girl in his bed. She pulls him down by the tie and crashes her lips onto his.

Biting my lips, clothes were thrown to the floor. Instantly, my blinds close, and I glance over to see Nina. "Come on, let's go for a walk," she said, taking my hand and leading me out the door, turning off the light to my room.

When we pass Neilson's house, my eyes glaze over to see the lights in his bedroom still on. Nina continued walking me towards the park, and we sat on the swings.

"Pancakes, are you okay?" she whispers.

And that's when I crack, shaking my head as I crouch down on the ground, wrapping my arms around my legs and a muffled cry left.

Nina came down and wrapped her arms around me. "Look, you don't need him anyway. Pancakes, one day, you're going to find a guy that cherishes you and loves you with all his heart."

I wrap my arms around her and nod.

I'm so stupid, drowning in my overactive imagination, believing that Neilson may have some feelings for me, but in the end, I'm nothing more than a younger sister to him.

Hearing an annoying ringing sound, I gather up all my strength to get my cell phone. "Hello," I replied groggily, still wanting to sleep some more.

I don't remember much except crying, blowing my nose, and eating on Nina's shoulder until I fell asleep. It doesn't matter. That's probably what I did the whole night anyway.

My eyes roam over to see Nina, laying beside me, a blanket covering her face.

"Good morning, with whom I'm speaking with?" a gentle voice question.

"Alice Lee," I reply, stiffening a yawn.

"Hello Alice, this is Lizzie from Princeton," she said.

I jolt right up. "Y-Yes."

"I'm calling you to inform you that we have selected someone else for the youth scholarship," she said.

Great, I had to watch the love of my life getting it on with another woman, and now I'm rejected from Princeton.

I need some pizza.

"Oh, well, thank you," I whisper.

"But, Mr.Davenson was quite impressed with your applications and interview. I'm calling to ask if you would like to join the Princeton Young Genius Summer Program and perhaps join us in the future. We will provide you college credits, living requirements, and many other things if you're interested," she said.

I'm at a loss for words.

"But there is something I have to inform you. Your application is technically considered late, and we are enrolling you as an exception," she continues.

"Yes," I responded, my leg refusing to stop shaking.

"And we need you to fly to New Jersey tomorrow morning. Are you able to do that?"

My eyes lurk towards the window, and I step out of bed. With a shaky hand, I open the blind to see Neilson sitting on his bed, working on his laptop. He glances up, and a smile emerges, waving at me. I lift a palm, waving back.

"Want to eat breakfast together?" he mouths.

I tighten my grip on the phone and shake my head, mouthing back. "Busy," while pointing my finger at my cell phone.