Parallel World: The Portal (Part I)

"What if it wasn't Alice who died?"

Alice stares at the dark void and instead of celebrating her lifelong accomplishment, her feet are magnetized to the ground. The longer she stares at it, the more it seems to look back.

There in the middle of the four-walled room was the greatest discovery thought by mankind - a time machine.

"Well, I'll be damn." The scientist behind her takes off his glasses, "We did it." He rubbed his tired eyes again to make sure he wasn't hallucinating.

Alice continues to stare at it.

She wishes she could see what is on the other side, but she can't - darkness.

"Mom," a soft voice appeared.

To her left, stands a middle-aged man - the reason for her existence. He smiles, "We did it."

Alice's sight went back to the dark portal, and she unconsciously held onto the ring on her left finger.

Fifty years.

Fifty years ago, the love of Alice Lee's life died in a brutal car accident.

Forty years ago, she destroyed those who destroyed her life.

Thirty years ago, she became one of the best inventors known to mankind.

Ten years ago, she survived an attempted suicide.

And now-

Someone holds her hand, "Mom?"

Alice smiles, "Ryder. I'm okay." She turns around, "Emerson. Shut it down."

Emerson stares at her, "Wait. That's it?" He looks at everyone in the room, "We're not gonna celebrate or anything?"

"Most of us are in our seventies. You think we got the energy to celebrate?" Alice takes off her glasses, "I'm going to go eat."

Ryder followed his mom out of the laboratory.

"Sure. Let's not celebrate. I mean, we only invested thirty years of our lives for this," Emerson grumbles. "Shut it down! Go home! We're too old to celebrate!"

"Mom. Are you sure you don't want to do anything? I mean-"

Alice stops, "Ryder." She stares outside.

Fifty years.

"What are you thinking?" Ryder asks.

Her eyes traveled around the city. "You know when I was younger. I thought the future would be...better."

Ryder chuckles, "Better? Like how?"

"Maybe...dragons?"

"We got flying cars?"

In the future, the developed nations never get over their entitlement. They never saw what they owed to the developing nations. The produce picked by starving hands still exists. Developed nations become more developed with the help of engineers, scientists, inventors, and whomever else. Developing nations never hold a candle - still in the hands of those hungry for power.

Leaders of the world died and were replaced by someone of the same hunger.

For the past fifty years, Alice experienced life but at the same time, her life is somehow stagnant.

"Grandma! Dad!"

They turn their heads to see two women and a young man.

One of the women kisses Ryder, "How's work?"

He smiles at his wife, "We made great progress today."

The young woman and man hold Alice. "Grandma," the young woman pouts, "I wanna go to Italy to study grandpa's culture, but mom wouldn't let me."

Her mother glares at her.

Alice only laughs at their interactions.

"Mom," Ryder's wife says. "It's not that I don't want her to study in Italy, but you know how spoiled she is."

Growing up, Alice never thought about having grandchildren. But, she had heard about grandparents who spoiled their grandchildren rotten. Unexpectedly, she's one of them.

"Come. We'll talk about it over dinner."

"Yes!" Alice's granddaughter throws her arms in the air before she wraps them around her again. "You're the best grandma!"

At dinner, Alice listens to her family rambles about their days.

Focus.

Her granddaughter says something about her friend touring the moon.

Focus.

Her grandson says something about meeting a girl.

Focus.

Her daughter-in-law says something about doing well in school.

Foc-

Her sight falls on the photo behind her son.

Fifty years.

She was so young fifty years ago.

Her eyes drift to the young man beside her. Even the dulled printed photos of the past can't conceal the life in his eyes.

"Mom?"

Alice's attention returns to her family, "Yes?"

Ryder hands her a pod, "Aunt Nina is calling you."

Focus.

Alice didn't know how it happened, but soon, she found herself on the balcony. On the cold chair, she stares at the endless field of greens.

After Neilson's death.

After traveling the world.

After experiencing everything to be experienced.

Alice found herself back in the town that started everything - MistVille.

Ryder lays a warm cup of tea in front of his mother. "What did you talk to auntie about?"

"Oh, you know." The wind blows softly, "The same ole thing. How her family is doing. How our family is doing."

Ryder holds his mom's hand.

Finally, she looks at him.

Ryder didn't speak.

The longer Alice stares at Ryder, the more prominent the wrinkles and sunspots become. The grey hairs on his head overshadowed the dark ones. When she smiles, more wrinkles appear.

Fifty years.

He smiles, "I'm going to be okay."

"Ryder."

"Everything is going to be okay here...so you...you-"

Ryder's hands tighten on his mom. His gaze drops and he notices all the wrinkles in their flesh - hers more than his.

For as long as Ryder could remember, Alice had always been a wonderful mother.

She gave him everything.

Her smiles.

Her youth.

Her health.

And even when she wanted to die, she didn't.

She stayed alive for him.

Stayed until he found his own path.

-until he's ready for life.

-until he's ready to let go of her hand.

"You should go."

"Ryder."

"Go to Dad."