LXXVIII. Break Up

Alice's POV:

"I want to break up."

"Why? Please, Angel lets ta-"

"No. I can't do this anymore. I tried, I really did, but I can't do this anymore."

"Y-You can't do this?"

"I can't do us."

I laid on my bed, staring at the white ceiling. My eyes quickly traced around the bedroom, feeling its unfamiliarity. After my breakup with Neilson, I ran back to the place I once called my home.

Curling myself into a ball, I stared at the closed window, hearing the constant beeping of the cell phone.

"I'm sorry," I whimper.

Soon, my whimpering turned into a silent cry: "I'm sorry, Muffin."

I had to break up with Neilson. I was spoiling myself with his love, neglecting those who are around me. Some people depend on me, and I can't let them down. I repeated that over and over inside my head until it made sense. It never made sense, no matter how many times I repeated it.

Why?

Why can't I accept Neilson's love?

Because of his background

Does a person's background really matter?

Yes.

Carla said backgrounds don't matter.

Carla's lover doesn't kill.

Neilson's hands are covered in blood.

Carla's lover isn't dangerous.

Neilson is dangerous.

Carla's lover is innocent.

God will never accept Neilson.

Neilson Yi is a good man.

However, Neilson Esposito is not a good man.

Carla is wrong; background does matter. Loving someone who lived in a different world is difficult, especially when the whole world disapproves of your relationship. Carla's parents disapprove of their relationship, but society as a whole still supports them. If the world finds out who Neilson Yi truly is, they would tell me to run, far away.

I didn't know how long I stayed in bed, but when I woke up. The sun was beaming through the windows, yet I still laid there under my covers.

Monday rolled around, and I resumed my old routine before Neilson and I got together. I managed to avoid him in the morning and asked Nina's parents for a ride to school. They didn't question why, which I appreciated.

Monday turned into Thursday, and I still haven't seen him.

The last message I received was on Tuesday at 2:32 am with a voicemail of a drunken Neilson threatening to break down my front door if I don't come out and meet him.

"I missed you hiccup Angel. P-P-Please, come out hiccup and see me. Let's talk it hiccup hiccup out. I-I-I loveeeeee youuuuu, amore miooooooo. I d-don't know what t-to do. I'm in f-front of your house; please open the door. P-P-hic-Please. I'll quit. I'll quit. I'll hic hic quit. I-I need you p-please."

There was a long pause.

"Alice Lee! Open the fucking door! Hic! Hic! I fucking swear I will drag you out and force you to listen if I had to!"

I had to call Mrs.Yi and ask her to take Neilson back inside before anyone calls the cops.

A part of me was disappointed that he didn't chase after me anymore.