XXXVIII. Masked Man

Alice's POV:

I cracked into a peal of laughter when Carla made some joke about two trains and one tunnel. Changing out of my regular clothes and into my cheerleader outfit, I got ready for practice. I hugged my arms around Carla's neck as she dragged me towards the football field. My eyes pinpoint a certain thick glass female.

"Waffles!" I shouted, waving at her. She turned her head and threw out her arms. I rushed towards her and leaped on her body, "Take me towards the field!"

"Oh, yes, oh so great master," she said in a mocking tone and started walking towards the school football field. "Hey, Carla."

"How was the student council meeting?"

She attempted a shrug but failed because of my massive head on her shoulder. "The same, boring," she responded.

It's been three months since I've avoided Neilson, and life wasn't that different. Except my heart aches more and more each day. He would send me a good morning and good night message every day without a miss, but that was just it. I didn't respond, but he didn't stop. Sometimes, I would catch him waiting in front of my doorstep, and I would hide behind the bushes until he left.

I want to talk to Neilson about it, but the images of him walking out of the house, dripping with blood, keep replaying inside my mind every time I see him. I'm afraid that Neilson may be like my dad, and he will hurt me if I make him angry.

A part of me tells me how Neilson could never hurt me, but then there is another part that is telling me to run away. This push and pull lurked continuously inside of me, unable to settle.

Can I be with Neilson knowing that he is lurking on the streets, doing some shady shit all day long? What if he is like those guys in the gang movies and beat up his girl, calling that love?

I released a sigh when we reached the field. "Please, don't gooooo," I begged Nina, who dragged her leg.

"I have violin lessons! My mom will kill me if I skip!"

I pout.

"Mom brought ice cream today."

Will I be bought by ice cream?

Yes.

Ice cream fixes everything.

After that little entertainment, we started stretching, jumping, splitting, backflipping. The music started rolling, and we all followed the beats seeing the jocks checking us out. Some of them aren't badly looking, but they aren't as handsome as Neilson.

My eyes met with Ian, who waved at me, and I returned his wave. A few of his friends started teasing him, probably about us getting back together, but I doubt that will happen. After all, we were never together.

Three months ago, Ian gave me this rabbit keychain for my birthday, and I tried to return it. He insisted I keep it as an apology for what his friends did to help him ease the guilt. I decided to keep it attached to my gym bag since it's cute.

I did a tumble, landing on my feet with a grand smile.

Many think cheerleading is all smiles and pom-poms, fluff, and pretty outfits, but no. It's gymnastics without the safeties. Once, I slipped from the top of the pyramid and ended up with a bloody nose. I couldn't even skip the next day because Carla told me to walk it off. Now, I understand why she is the captain, ruthless.

My smile dropped when I saw three guys in some school of white shirts and long dark pants uniform hanging on the stands, staring at us. They started pointing at me and talked to each other. I grouped back towards everyone else, and we started stretching again. "Those guys are hot," one of the girls said, and I turned my head to see them still staring.