LIX. I Still Love You

Alice's POV:

Soon, school ended, but it didn't matter. Randy went back to class so that Carla wouldn't worry. I dropped Nina a text and laid in the back of the school the whole day. I didn't particularly think of anything. I merely laid there and stared at the tree.

A low crunched appeared. "Hey, school is over."

Peeking through my lids, Pamela stood there with her hands stuffed inside her pockets. Randy was a reasonable distance from us, attempting to hide his presence, but I can see his elbow.

"Thanks," I grumbled, sitting up. Stretching my arms, I grabbed my backpack and brushed past her.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

I stopped walking, feeling my shoulder touching hers. Turning my head, Pamela's eyes were still cast on the ground. "You saw, didn't you?"

I nod.

She pulls down her collar, showing a deep purple bruised handprint around her neck. "Don't tell anyone," she tugged it back up. "I don't want pity," she threw her hood over her head and walked away.

"Who did it?"

Her legs halted, and she turned around. "Why don't you tell me who hurt you first?"

I bit my lips, holding my hand over my stomach. "My father."

Pamela nods, "My mother."

"Recent?" I asked.

She nods, "Ever since father decided to have an affair."

"No divorce?"

She smiled sadly, "Who would want to divorce a lawyer and ruin their reputation?"

I ran my tongue across my cheek. "Seems like we're all on the same boat here," Randy revealed more of himself, knowing he is exposed.

"You should give Ian a chance. He really likes you," I said.

She didn't respond; instead, she shoved her hands into the jacket of her pockets and walked away.

"She'll come around," Randy said, and I nod.

I sat in front of the school, kicking my feet back and forth. A beep beep sound was heard, and I looked up to see Neilson's car. Skipping towards him, I was excited about my surprise.

He laughed while I threw myself into the car. "You look really excited."

"What is it?! What is my surprise!" I nearly shriek into his ear.

"You have to wait until we get home," he sang.

The whole ride, I was bouncing in my seat, asking him a million questions about the surprise. He didn't spill anything, which got me frustrated. I screamed at all the red lights, stop signs, and old ladies crossing the street.

Neilson laughed and held my hand. "I haven't seen you this excited since The Nutcracker."

Oh, The Nutcracker, I remember that.

That was the time when my parents divorced, and I wanted attention from dad. I wanted him to be proud of me, so I enrolled myself in all these plays and science fairs. In the end, he never went to any of them, not once.

No matter how many awards I brought home, all I received was a grunting sound.

However, even if dad wasn't there, I was okay.

***

Alice - 10

Neilson - 17