XXIX. Bad Neighbor

Alice's POV:

When I hear a door slam open, I tilt my head to the side. Nina was standing there with a box of pizza. She dropped the box and lifted a finger.

Quickly, I pushed Neilson away and promptly sat up. I can feel the bed creaking, indicating that Neilson was sitting up too. "Hi, Nina," he said casually.

"Hi," she responds, shooting me the - what the fuck - look.

I replied with a shrug.

Neilson clears his throat, but my eyes were still awkwardly locked on with Nina. "I'm going to go," he said.

He grabs my chin, placing a kiss on my cheek, "I'll see you later, Angel," he whispers.

I sat there and watched him as he walked out. He messed up Nina's hair.

"Aren't you going to kiss me too?" Nina said mockingly.

Neilson chuckles, "I don't kiss girls with boyfriends. That's a death wish," he walks away.

Swiftly, Nina kicks the box of pizza towards me and slams the door shut. "Code fucking whatever the color below red is on the rainbow! What in the world was that?!"

Nina and I made color codes for emergencies, with violent being the lightest and red, the most massive shit that can happen.

I grab the box. "What was what?" I replied with a nervous laugh and opened the box.

"You and Neilson! On the same bed!?" She pointed at my bed, then hugged herself trying to re-create our position earlier.

"We slept on the same bed since I was eight." I grab a slice of pizza.

She sat down beside me, narrowing her devious eyes. "And that kiss on the cheek?"

I take a bite. "He kisses me all the time if you have forgotten."

Nina nods, "Yeah, that's true," she replies, grabbing herself a slice.

Yes, it's that sad. Neilson and I could be caught on the same bed, and no one will think it's a big deal because he only sees me as a little sister.

Little sister, that's who I am.

Stupid heart, when are you going to accept that.

"Why are you here?" I ask.

She taps a finger on the box. "To celebrate you in becoming a cheerleader," she grins.

I smile. "God, you are such a good friend." I shove another slice into my mouth.

After we finished, we laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling. "So, you know things with Neilson, and I are going nowhere. How are things between Kevin and you?"

She shrugs, taking a light sniff. "Fine, a normal couple, I guess."

I chuckle lightly. "You sound like a girl in mad love," I said sarcastically, nudging her shoulder.

Nina turns her head towards me. "I'm fine with where we are. No fights and no secrets. Kevin is a good guy, and I like him."

"But, not in love with him."

"One day, maybe, but not now. After all, I'm still just a high schooler," she states, and I nod in agreement. We are just in high school, after all.

Soon, Nina bid me goodbye with one of her horrific dancing, while tripping down on the floor a few times. Grabbing some clothes, I took a shower and changed out of the uniform.

I sat down on the spinning chair and scrolled through Princeton along with a few other school websites. I read the emails I've been getting from recruiters. Holding the mouse, I adjust my glasses and push the reply button. My fingers went to the keyboard, but I didn't know what to write.