LXXXVIII. Live in the Memories

The first few days were painful, brutal for both of them.

When others discovered the news, it got harder.

Nina talked to Mr. and Mrs.Yi about limiting the visitation request. The truth came out about Alice's dad, and Mr.Yi immediately declared himself as her official new guardian, not wanting the man to be near her. The paperwork was lengthy and genuinely a headache, especially since Alice still hasn't complied.

"I'm going to make sure his ass is laying in jail for the rest of his life!" Mr.Yi shouts something he rarely does.

Everyone else was outside, allowing them privacy. Mrs.Yi couldn't handle seeing Alice in such a difficult spot, so Mr.Yi asked her to leave.

"He is still my dad. I don't want him to be in jail," she said in a low tone.

Mr.Yi rushed his hands down his tired face and sat down. He inhales a deep breath and nods, knowing Alice will not change her mind.

It's difficult to punish someone you love, particularly someone who used to love you. You live in the memories, unable to relinquish them.

"Fine, but we are getting a damn restraining order. Do you understand?" he said in a stern tone with no room for argument.

Alice smiles, wrapping her arms around Mr.Yi. "I understand."

He sucked in a long breath and returned her embracement. "Your heart is too good. It makes me wonder how you fall for an ex-Italian mafia member."

Alice's eyes widen, and she leans back, "You knew?"

Mr.Yi chuckles, "Of course I knew. It's hard not to know when there are constant screams around the house from a momma."

"You're okay with loving a woman who is the ex-wife of a mighty and dangerous man?" she asks.

He chuckles, "Neilson's papa won't touch me," he winks.

Alice sat there, stunned by his fearless words, "Mr.Yi, do you have something you want to share?" she asks slowly.

He smirks, shaking his head, "If he wants to kill me, then he would have a long time ago. However, he won't because he would have a nasty ex-wife grilling on his ass."

Alice smiles, warming Mr. Yi's heart.

After their talk, Mr.Yi allowed Alice to rest, and he knew that Neilson was anxiously waiting outside for her. Ever since the incident, Neilson never once left Alice's side. They were stitched together by the hips.

After a few more days, the doctor gave Alice the approval for discharge from the hospital. Neilson's parents asked if she wanted to stay with them, but Neilson refused. He didn't want her to go back to the street where she may potentially run into her dad. After all, the restraining order had not been finalized.

Alice released a deep huff of breath when Neilson settled her down on the couch. "Do you need anything?" he asks for the bazillion times.

She laughed while he laid a pillow under her ankle, ensuring she is comfortable. The doctor said she couldn't correctly walk for another three weeks, but she is healing properly. Much to everyone's displeasure, they decided to leave when Alice's ankle heals. They wanted to leave the town as soon as possible, leaving the bitter memories behind.

"I'm fine, Muffin." She pats at the small space beside her. "Sit with me."

Neilson sat beside Alice, and she rests her head against his chest. "This is what I need," she mumbles.

He smiles, wrapping his arm around her shoulder. "Me too."

Quietly, they sat there until Alice was bored, "Let's watch Korean drama," she said, and he laughed, turning on the TV.