LXXIX. Not a Goodbye

Alice's POV:

It was midday, the worst time to arrive at the airport. The second Tyler pushed on the brake, Nina and I jumped out of the car. It was hard to breathe. The air was heavy and smelled of diesel. We were sweaty even before we had reached the lounge.

The air-conditioning blasted on our sweaty faces when we entered a small cafe confined between two stores. The walls were a drab, grassy green, decorated with faded paintings of the island.

Carla sat on a light brown chair in the corner of the room beside Mrs.Ricci. She said something, and Mrs.Ricci smiled, holding onto her hair. Two pieces of luggage, black and red, lying beside them.

Nina and I walked towards them, and within a mere second. Nina covered her mouth and burst into tears. Carla stood up, the long black and white dress falling just below her knees. She wrapped her arms around Nina while I stood there, attempting to follow what is occurring.

Carla looks at me and smiles, a sweet, steady action.

"Where are you guys going?" I ask.

She looked at Mrs.Ricci, who also held a small smile on her face. "We are going to Italy, back to Mrs.R- mom's hometown."

"W-What?" Nina stutters, wiping off her tears.

Carla placed a hand on her flat stomach. "Mom and I decided it is best to raise the baby elsewhere," she took a sniff, attempting to hold back the tears, "I'm sorry it's last minute."

Soon, Ian and Pamela arrived. We all sat around a circular white stoned table listening to Carla's explanation. Mrs.Ricci would stay quiet, but we could hear the low whimpering beside us.

Carla didn't want to raise the baby, where there may be a chance Randy's father may come back one day. She understands that Mrs.Ricci is scared of him; that's why she stayed all these years. She was afraid of leaving.

Fear, a chain reaction in the brain that begins with a frightening stimulus, ends with the body preparing to protect itself from danger.

Mrs.Ricci was brainwashed all these years by Randy's father with fear; how he will come after them no matter where they run. She admitted running away a few times with Randy, but somehow they were always found. The beat-up got worse and worse each time they ran away, and so, she got afraid and stopped running.

But, with Randy's death and a new grandchild, Carla was able to convince her to leave the country.

Looking at Mrs.Ricci, we can feel the dread, anxiety, and panic. She feared that he would show up any second and dragged them back. Carla held her hand the whole time to reassure her. Thirty minutes before the departure, we left and walked to the loft with her. Everyone gathered in a line of a chair, one or two still standing. There were plasma screens of arrival and departure times on the wall of the airport. People were lined up at the check-in desk with suitcases and baggage. In the background, soft classical music played, but barely anyone can hear it.

Ian rubs Carla's stomach, "You should name the child after me," he grins.

Pamela hit his head, "Stupid, what if it's a girl?"

"Ianella! Duh!"

We started joking around, attempting to lighten the atmosphere, but we were all still anxious.

Then there was a beeping sound, "Check-in for flight 35 to Rome, Italy. Calling all passengers to check in to flight 35 Rome, Italy."

We all stayed quiet, and Carla smiled. Nina and I take a step back; she stands up with Mrs.Ricci.

"Got everything?" I ask.

She nods, "Passport, tickets, ID."

Carla reached for luggage, but Ian grabbed it. "Let me help," his voice cracked, and he sniffed, trying not to cry.