LII. Take My Soul

Neilson's POV:

It's been a few days since Alice came back, and everything fell back into place. My arms tightly wrapped around her bare waist as she snuggled deeper into me, our legs tangled together.

There was a low buzz from my phone, "Hello?"

There were some voices in the background. "Where are you?"

"What? Drew?"

"Neilson, tonight we-"

"Esposito, you better get your ass down here," a harsh voice said.

It's Anthony.

"What do you- oh," I remembered there's a meeting tonight.

"Yeah, oh." The phone call ended.

I glanced down at Alice, who was sleeping soundly. I unwrapped her body. She shuffled to the other side of the bed, mumbled some words, and went back to sleep. I grabbed my boxer and got dressed.

I admit I had too much fun with Alice since she came back and forgot, well, everything.

Gently closing the door, I almost pissed my pants, seeing my mom standing in the dimly lit hallway, "Momma," I whispered.

She stood there with those weird curls in her hair and a white robe. "Where are you going?"

"Out?"

She released a puff of air through her nostrils then stepped aside. I gave her a grimy smile and walked past her, wondering why I'm still afraid of my mom despite being in my twenties, "Neilson," she said in a low tone. I turned around to see her teary eyes. "I wish you didn't accept your father's offered."

I reached out for her to see her taking a step back. "You knew."

She wiped the tears on her lashes. "Of course, I know. You're just like your father." She licked her lips and folded her arms. "In the end, don't regret your decision. Remember, you can only have one," she said before walking back into her bedroom, gently closing the door.

I understand what she meant.

After all, momma left because she couldn't handle papa's lifestyle.

I remember that day distinctly when she asked papa to choose between her and his life.

The answer was evident.

My eyes traveled towards my door, and I took a step to the front. I reached for the knob, retracted my hand, clench it firmly, and walked away.

***

I head down the hall, and the men bowed. Two men at the end opened the doors, and I took a step inside. My eyes wandered around, and I settled on a booth.

"Nice for you to show up when the meeting ended." Anthony's voice was filled with sarcasm. I merely gave him a stupid smile in return.

The bartender, Jeffrey, walked up and placed down my usual. "You seem to have a fun time since your little lady came back." Drew grinned, "What? Not going to spill the beans?"

"He doesn't need to spill anything. Those marks say all," Marvin smirked, while their eyes dropped towards my necks with fresh hickeys.

"Anyways-" Drew coughed, "Are the rumors true?"

"What rumors?" I said in a mocking tone.

"You're seriously going to propose to Alice when she graduates from high school! What else?"

"Maybe."

"Are you crazy?" Anthony gave me that - you're the dumbest man in the world - look.

"Mind if I talk with Anthony?" I asked.