XXVII. Solitaire

Alice's POV:

Neilson marches towards me and wipes my forehead with his sleeve until it starts giving me a burn. "Stop it!" I smack his arm away and rub my aching forehead

"He kissed you. I don't like that."

I roll my eyes and walk into the kitchen, in need of some water. "Look, it's only a kiss on the forehead."

I grab a cup, "It means nothing." I filled it with water and drank it.

"Geez, you're acting like an annoying older brother," I mumble under my breath and set it on the counter.

Turning around, Neilson was right in front of me. "You got to stop sneaking up-" he cups my face, and I stop talking. With wide eyes, I can only stare at him.

"Nothing? A kiss on the forehead is nothing?"

My heart picks up its pace seeing him move in towards me, kissing the same place Randy did.

"Was that nothing?" He asks, and I couldn't make up any words to respond.

He continues to stare at me.

I opened my mouth, but his phone rang. He slides his hand inside, not removing his body against mine, and he picks it up. "What?" He said in a cold tone.

Neilson takes a step back, then points at the other side of the room, and I nod my head. I can hear him mumbling some words, but I wasn't quite sure.

I know I shouldn't eavesdrop, but -

I twirl towards the door and crack it open.

"What the fuck do you mean he got away?" Neilson practically shouts, running his hands on the back of his red neck. "Well, fucking find him!" he screams, and I was taken aback a little.

Turning around, I rush back towards the counter, pretending to get water. I can hear the door creaked open, and Neilson walks in. "I have to go," he said, and I nod. There was this awkward atmosphere lingering in the air, and soon Neilson left.

I release a deep breath, ready to sleep for the day, forget homework. I need my bed right now.

The next day, things did not get better.

My head drops to the ground, and I start walking to school. I kick some pebble, dragging my leg on the cement but stop when I feel someone's chest. Eyes were slowly lurking up, and I saw Neilson standing there in his usual businessman suit. I didn't know what to do except stare at him and his damn handsome face.

Slowly, he lifted a hand towards my cheeks, and I suddenly found it harder to breathe. He traces his thumb against my cheekbones, and I couldn't help but tremble at his touch. He grabs my hand and leads me to his car. I was fidgeting in my seat, wanting to say something but nothing came out. So, we drove in complete silence the whole time.

We stop in front of my school, and I quickly grab my backpack. "Thank you for the ride," I mumble and hop out before he can even say anything. Immediately, I rush into school and towards my locker.

My breathing was heavy, uneven as if I just ran a marathon or about to have a heart attack. I shake off the sensation and dial in my combination to grab the back breaking books.

"Boo!" Someone shouts, placing two hands against my shoulders, and I slam my back against the lockers, eyes widening to see Nina laughing at me.

"What the shithole! You scared me!" I shouted, then went back to my business.

"Well, I've been calling you since you entered school, but you didn't listen to me and-" she pauses, then grabs my elbow and turns me towards her. She closes the distance between us. "What's wrong?"