XXXV. Punch in the Stomach

Neilson's POV:

I grip onto the flowers tightly and tug my collar down. "Okay, today is the day, Neilson. Don't fuck up. Don't fuck up. Don't fucking fuck up," I prep talk myself. Inhaling a deep breath, I rang the doorbell.

Chewing on my inner cheeks, I felt suffocated by the suit. I'm standing on her doorstep, in the warm breeze of the fucking summer morning, without sleep. I was awake the whole night, trying to figure out what to say to her without sounding like a horny, stalking old man. Sweats were leaking out every inch of my body.

Of course, I know why today is the day I'm going to confess to her. Tell her about how I feel, not as an older brother, but as a man. Tell her I'm willing to wait until she graduates high school, and if she agrees, maybe go out on a date together.

I clear my throat, "Alice, you look nice today."

I shook my head, "No, that's stupid."

"Wow, you look cute." I practice a smile in the front window.

My hand smacks onto my face, and I inhale another deep breath. "You are the most gorgeous woman I've eve- okay, now even that sounds creepy to me."

I can hear some noises coming from inside, and I lean against her railing, of course, to look moderately decent.

Should I cross my arms?

Yeah, I'll cross my arms.

I cross my arms

Should I smile?

Yes, I will smile.

I wonder if I'm showing too much of my teeth.

Anxiously, I rang the doorbell again just in case she didn't hear. The door opens up, and at that moment, I forgot to breathe. My eyes went from her black heels towards her light purple dress that clinched onto her curves perfectly. I tried my best to move past her gentle curvature towards her gorgeous face. My eyes land on her glossy lips, and I want to crash it with mine.

Inhaling her scent, I realized she was wearing a sweet perfume. It wasn't too much that it will overpower her natural aroma, just enough.

I clear my throat. "Excuse ma'am, is your daughter home?" I asked.

She lifts a brow before a chuckle leaves her throat.

"I am here to take her out for her sweet sixteen."

A cute snort left her nostrils. "Let me go get her," she said, twirling in a circle, placed her hand over her mouth, then released an exaggerated gasp. "Muffin! You shouldn't have!" She shouts as I hand her the bouquet, wanting to hug her very severely.

I smile, sending her a wink, hoping I don't look like I have something in my eye. She walks back into her house, and I follow her. She tiptoes to grab a vase and then sort out the flowers.

You can do this, Neilson.

You can do this.

Hesitantly, I wrap my arms around her waist, feeling her freeze. "You look beautiful today," I whisper into her ear, and I pray that I didn't act too creepy.

After some time, she pushes the vase aside. "S-Shouldn't we get g-going?"

There was a slight feeling of disappointment smoothing over me. "Right, let's go," I mumbled.

I don't want to go. I want to stay indoors with her all day. I don't want other men to see her and fall for her.

When we reach my car, I open it for her. "My lady."

She bit her cute lips and hopped into the car. "My, what a gentleman."

"Oh, I'm anything but a gentle man," I mumble, knowing she will never call me that if she knows the things I'm thinking of doing to her right now.