II. Destroy Mankind

Two Years Later
Alice - 10
Neilson - 18

***

I strap on my backpack, fix my jacket, and put on my favorite pink cap. My hand reaches for the doorknob and I open it.

"I don't care! Do whatever you want!" I can hear Mom shouting from downstairs, and then a loud door slam.

Slowly, I walk down the creaky stairs to see some picture frames of my family on the floor, glass shattering everywhere. Cautiously, I walk around it, into the kitchen to see Dad. He sat at the table with his face buried in his dry hands, tears dripping down. I open the closet, grab the broom and dustpan, and then start cleaning up the glasses in the hallway.

Releasing a deep breath, I pick up the photo of my parents and me on my eighth birthday.

We went to the zoo because I wanted to see wolves, much to my disappointment, there weren't any wolves at the zoo. I cried for hours until my parents brought me the largest cotton candy in the world. In the photo, I had the swirly pink cotton candy in my hands with a giant bite mark on the side while I sat on top of my dad's shoulder. Mom had her head leaned against his arm. We were all smiling so happily.

The water drips on the photo, and I quickly wipe it off with my sleeve.

Mom and Dad loved each other a lot, but recently it seems like all they do is yell at each other.

When I finish gathering all the large glasses, I dump them in the trash. I grab the vacuum and start cleaning up the rest of the smaller shards then put it away.

Walking back into the kitchen, I noticed how Dad didn't move, still staring at the table. "Daddy, I'm going to school," I said.

Dad looks at me with his red, watery eyes. He wiped off the tears and took a sniff. "Let me grab my key, Princess, and I'll drive you there," he said in a low voice.

I shake my head. "No, it's okay, daddy. Nina's dad said he could drive me there," I said. Walking over to him, I kissed him on the cheek, salty tears on my lips. "Bye Daddy," I said.

He wraps his arms around me. "I'm sorry, Princess," he whispers into my ear. I pat his back and offer him a bright smile, which he returns with a grimy one.

Walking towards the front door, I grab my black shoes and a red umbrella. When I open the door, I can hear the loud pitter-patter of rain. Closing the door, I take out the house key from my neck and lock it. Releasing a deep sigh, I throw on my hoodie and open the umbrella. I lied to Dad when I told him Nina's dad was going to take me to school. Nina's family always leaves early for school since her siblings are all in different grades.

I kicked the pebbles and my shoes got wet. My socks were soaked because of the water. My legs stopped when I felt rainwater rolling down my cheeks. It just keeps on running downward for some odd reason.

Wiping the water from my face, I start skipping to school:

"What's that over there?
A yummy chocolate cake!
Mister Mister!
Can you teach me how to bake?
The yummy chocolate cake!?
Wait! I change mind
Let me eat the cake
Or I'll destroy mankind!"

I did my evil laugh. Maybe Nina is right, I should change the song lyrics.

When I heard a car honk, I turned to my side and saw a familiar black car. Quickly, it turns towards me — the window rolls down, revealing an incredibly handsome guy. "Need a ride?" he asks in a deep voice, lips tilting upward into a dazzling smile.

I skip towards him, "Hi, Neilson!"

Neilson moved into my neighborhood two years ago. We would always hang out when he's free. I like that he doesn't avoid me because I'm a little child.