Parallel World: The Portal (Part VI)

The sound of ambulance sirens rushes into the neighborhood. The harsh wheels rolled into the streets. Matt hears voices around him, but he can only focus on the person in the bed.

The paramedics stop at the edge of the ambulance and carry the bed inside.

One of the paramedics looks at Matt, "You're-"

"The father of the child."

"Okay. Come in."

Matt steps inside the ambulance, "I'm gonna go with Nina. You...um...you...well you know."

"I'll stay here," Neilson responds.

"O...Okay." Matt takes one last look at the house before he turns around.

After the ambulance disappears, Neilson rushes back into the house to see Alice with her shoes on.

He didn't have to ask. He knows. "No," Neilson responds sternly, "No."

"Neilson. I have to go see Nina. What if something happened to her?"

"She has Matt."

"She would want me there to explain the situation to her." Alice takes a step closer to Neilson, "You either take me there or I'll sneak out and go there. Then, maybe, you will never see me again."

Alice didn't want to threaten Neilson. Especially not when he's so vulnerable.

Neilson looks away and swallows, "Fine. But, wait here."

Alice huff a breath before she nods.

Neilson rushes upstairs and returns a few minutes later with a hat and face mask. "Wear these."

Alice complied.

"And you're not allowed to leave my side."

"Fine."

"Let's go."

Into the car, down the streets, and towards the hospital.

In the end, what waited for Neilson and Alice was the waiting room.

After two hours, Matt came out.

Alice stands up.

Matt involuntarily takes a step back.

"How is she?" Alice asks.

Matt stares at Alice briefly before he says: "She's okay."

Alice releases a breath of relief. She looks up to see Matt staring at her again. "What is it?"

"You're...You look like a friend of mine."

"Oh?"

"Yeah."

Silence.

Neilson stands in between them. "She's fine. Let's go."

Before Alice could respond, Matt pulled Neilson aside.

"What?"

"Mind having a quick chat with me?"

"Umm...yeah."

They walk to the other side of the hallway. Matt looks back at Alice who sat on the waiting chair.

"What do you wanna talk about?" Neilson asks.

"Look-" Matt exhaled a sharp breath, "I know you miss Alice, but don't you think you're going too far?"

"What?"

Matt ran his hands up his face and over his hair, "It's just...you know that girl isn't Alice...right?"

Neilson blinked three times but didn't respond.