39

YOUNGYEON POV

FLASHBACK

"Youngyeon, let me show you how to cook your father's favorite food," mom said as she walked towards me, a small smile on her face as she approached my small body.

I was only 9 years old. It was the time when my parents had a stable life. We weren't poor and we weren't so rich either. We only had a normal life in a normal house.

"Someday, when you have children, I'll teach you how to make our family's signature dish," mom beamed as she pressed a hand on my shoulder, taking out the ingredients before putting them on the cutting board.

My mom was fond of cooking, she liked doing household chores. She taught me how to sew, cook, bake, clean, and do the laundry. She said I needed it for the future, so I would have a clean place.

"Mom, how do you have children?" I asked and she looked at me before giving a smile I couldn't put my finger to.

"Ah sweetie, I won't tell you," she replied nervously.

"But-"

"Your father should be home by now, I hope he found a job now," mom smiled to herself before mincing the onions and garlic, and putting them in the pan as I observed quietly.

Soon, there was a knocking in the door. And the door opened, me and mom whisked our heads as we looked at the figure.

"I'm home!" Dad smiled and I squealed before running towards him, he hoisted me up in his arm before spinning me around.

"Hey honey! You're finally home, how was the job hunting?" Mom asked as she approached dad.

"It was good, I got a job at some small company, I hope we get to earn more starting today, there is something I really wanted to do with both of you," dad replied before giving mom a kiss on the cheek.

"So when's your first day at work?" Mom asked and dad smiled cheekily before looking at me.

"Tomorrow, I got a decent job and they said it would have a great pay," dad smiled.

"Good, now go sit down and I'll prepare the meal. Youngyeon, you're helping me with the side dishes," mom smiled and dad let me down as I scurried to my mother.

My dad chuckled as he let his suitcase down before sitting himself on one of the chairs in the dining room, and mom smiled as she approached him from behind, placing her hands on top of his shoulders before pressing slightly, giving him a shoulder massage.

And I realised, will I soon become like them? A little girl who soon grows up and finds the boy of her dreams?

-

It was now the next day. Me and mom were in the house doing the chores. She didn't have a job because I was still too young to be left alone in the house. She hummed as she swept the floor, and I cleaned the tables as I listened to her.

Knock knock!

We looked at the door and mom signalled me to stay put as she walked towards the front door, leaving me curious as she swung the door open, looking at the figure who was now infront of her.

After a few moments, the door slowly shut close, I peeked my head out and saw my mom locking the door.

Suddenly, she leaned against the wall before slowly leaning down to the floor, hugging her legs as she buried her head between her closed legs, my eyes widened as I looked at her, and I ran towards her before sitting down on the floor beside her.

"Mom, what's wrong?" I asked as I looked at her, she gazed at me through her teary eyes, tear stains were on her cheeks and I reached up to wipe them, looking at her with concern written on her face.