42

FLASHBACK

NAMJOON POV

"First place, Kim Namjoon!"

"The 1st topnotcher for the ESAT exam goes to... Kim Namjoon!"

"First place in the International Physics Test, Kim Namjoon!"

"First in Korea's top 10 outstanding students, Kim Namjoon!"

"Kim Namjoon is one of the top qualifiers to earn a scholarship in Seoul National University and Yonsei University!"

"Kim Namjoon is known to be the nation's smartest student!"

"Namjoon is the only student who has perfected the American English Exam in the whole nation!"

"Thank you for electing me as your class president for the 9th time, I promise I will do better than last year," I said through the microphone as I bowed, and the crowd cheered.

"Namjoon, what's wrong? You don't seem comfortable with your speech, is everything alright?" The teacher asked me as I finished my speech, heading backstage.

"Everything is alright... ma'am. Thank you for your concern," I replied normally as I bowed towards her, and she gives me a worried glance before patting my shoulder.

"Come on now, let's go review for your upcoming exams," she said and I nodded before following her towards the classroom.

-

"Namjoon, someone wants to meet you at the classroom," one of my classmate told me as he passed by with his bag, and I gave him a nod with my stoic expression before walking towards the classroom.

Everything felt dull. Every classmate's face was just the same old dull expression plastered in my mind. Nothing mattered to me except my grades, and the amount of recognition and leaderships I get.

I walked towards the classroom and I sighed deeply as I saw the lights were still on. It was after class and we had to go to self-study classes.

Crap, I'm going to be late for it because of this too.

I groan softly before pushing the door open, and I looked around. No one was around, only the faint sounds of students' footsteps were heard and I tightened my jaw as I lifted my glasses up.

Is this just a prank? It's not funny.

"U-uh... Namjoon?" A voice called and my eyes widened as I suddenly turned towards the person infront of me, standing beside me as she faced me.

"Oh... hello, may I help you?" I reply and she looks at me before diverting her gaze on the floor.

"Uhm.... you're the class president of this class right? I'm your junior, and I have something to say to you," she said as she looked down, the dim light covering her face.

"Yes? And that is....?" I replied as I stared at her from top to bottom.

"Namjoon sunbae, I like you! I like you a lot!" The girl said and I gave her a look as if I didn't even hear anything. Everything was heavy and it felt like nothing really shifted inside of me.

Who cares if no one likes you, Namjoon? Who cares if someone likes you?

"What's your name?" I asked and she raises her head before maintaining eye contact with me.

"Park Joo-Il, sunbae," she replied as she bowed again.

"I'm sorry. But I don't feel the same way. In fact, I never felt anything about you," I said, maintaing my stoic expression as I looked at her, and her eyes widened as she stared at me a for a few seconds.