A Rescue, A Message, and An Embrace!

Now the Sawyer quadruplets and the sorcerers back home have figured out a big clue to Olympia's prophecy and the certain group resurfacing, but a certain duo have yet to find out... and Zenith's the one responsible for reaching out to them. Let's see how it goes.

~

Over the next few days of traveling, our heroes had even more adventures. They rescued a Nurse Joy in the woods who had discovered a Mega Stone that turned out to be for Audino, her long-time partner Pokemon she'd been given instead of a Wigglytuff long ago. Though they fought a lot at first, after stopping another recapture attempt by Team Rocket, they were able to remain close friends, and the Sawyer sisters had the chance to reunite with Professor Sycamore for a little while.

Reminded by another run-in with their adoptive father, while staying in the Pokemon Center that night, Zenith pulled out her phone from her pocket, uneasily shifting the cool metal between her fingers before turning it on and selecting the number she had long since memorized.

"Hello! This is the Alumines Sanctuary, where the sky's the limit! How can we help you this fine evening?" A chipper receptionist spoke over the phone.

When iron oxidizes, it rusts, making the metal weaker, but when exposed to the sky, aluminum's oxide protects it. Just like how the paradise keeps both the Pokemon and mages within it safe using the latest technology in combination with ancient magic. Our barrier is our protector. "Resist corrosion... ascend to new heights." The words were barely whispers, and the pause on the other end had Zenith wondering if the receptionist even heard her.

Alumines. Nothing but an anagram for Lusamine. After a pause, the woman cleared her throat, suddenly somber. "Ah... State your business, traveler."

"I need a message passed through. Tell Bolt and Icy that Sky has to speak with them urgently. It's about the Order, and the resurgence of... them."

"Understood... Let the light guide you, young heiress."

"And let your paths always be illuminated," Zenith completed, hearing the click of the hang-up a moment later.

(The next morning when she woke up, there was a note on her nightstand. Follow the wisps.)

Our group of heroes traveled through the forest that day, stopping to snack and rest around noon and again during sunset, when the trees were less sparse and the undergrowth was thickening. It was only at the latter, when Zenith caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a small glowing sphere of pure energy that she froze, turning back to ensure no one else saw before slipping off after it.

It was shifting through white, blue, yellow as it weaved through the forest, Zenith picking up the pace until she was bounding after it, barely making a sound even though the forest floor was covered in dead leaves. She felt reality warp around her momentarily as she took a last leap toward it, grasping the wisp just as she was suddenly at a campfire.

They even have a barrier set up here, for this meeting. Safe to say they got the hint, then. Team Flare returning, the hunt for the triplet Zygardes back with a vengeance, and the inevitable final purge of all sorcery all come hand-in-hand with the doom Olympia saw in her vision, the same doomsday our people have been trying to protect us from for generations.

A blonde was rubbing her hands above the fire, dressed in only a white dress, hat, and tall boots. Her lime green eyes looked up worriedly to her older sister, not making a move to come closer. The other blond turned his head in acknowledgement but also stood still, likely concentrating all his energy on keeping their meeting place completely hidden to the outside world.

The wisp dissipated in Zenith's hands, the mild cold shock quickly dissipated with a burst of warm energy that flooded her body. She stepped toward the campfire, holding her hands out.

"I'm sorry we had to meet like this, but we must take all precautions if what you said is true," Gladion said.

"I understand. I hoped the last time we dealt with them would've been the last, but I always knew that was just wishful thinking. At least now we're not just kids... Anyways. The news is true. Team Flare is back, and they're after the Zygarde core the others and I found- it's part of Z1 but only known as Squishy to them. We've done our best keeping low, but their executives recognize us from last time."

"It makes sense they wouldn't forget the faces of the sorceresses that nearly brought their organization to ruin as mere children, even if it was years ago," Lillie replied, the slightest waver in her voice betraying her guilt. She had been too young to help her elder siblings with the raid, possibly even blaming herself for the evil group not being destroyed the first time.

Zenith said nothing for a moment, wishing she could comfort the younger blonde but knowing Lillie would never truly rest until she had helped stop them for good regardless of what Zenith said. "I know Mom and the others at the Paradise saw Olympia's prophecy that includes us, but now I think we can piece together what event it's pointing toward. The next doomsday... the one we have to prevent Team Flare from causing at all costs."

Both of the others nodded to her, silence once again falling upon them.

"...I should get going before my friends get worried that I ran off."

"Thank you for meeting with us, Sky," Gladion murmured with a dip of his head.

"Send our regards to the others," added Lillie stiffly.

Zenith, who had taken two steps toward the edge of the barrier, paused, turning back around to stare sadly at her youngest sister and eldest (and only) brother. You two... have had to change so much. We agreed that you would handle things on the interior with Mom while we remained on the outside to make a difference and sway the hearts of the people so that by the time came that we needed their support we'd have it... But sometimes I hardly recognize you.

Where did my sassy, competitive, melodramatic older brother go, hidden away behind that serious stare and stiff posture? Where did my kind, curious, bright little sister go, locked away inside that uniform and the responsibilities that came with it? Being born into this legacy has always meant sacrifices for the greater good, but giving up your childhoods and innocence to work as nothing more than ambassadors for the cause...

Zenith stepped forward and pulled both her siblings into a tight hug. "I'll stop them. I'll stop those horrible monsters with my own hands and then we can be a family again." Then it won't be meetings in secure locations, suspicious phone calls, and notes on nightstands. Then it won't be disguises, sanctuaries, code-names... Then it'll just be us kids, for even a moment, and nothing else. No duty, no doomsday, no looming existential threats, no constant fear at being exposed. "I'll stop them so that we never have to hurt again."

~

This Lusamine might not be a deranged mother like she is in Sun and Moon, but given the circumstances (a mother of six endlessly busy with protecting an entire subdivision of humanity that are constantly persecuted) none of her kids emerged unscathed. Mohn being MIA after his less-than-stellar paternal care certainly didn't help, either. But the Sawyer kids are making do... and one day, just maybe, they'll be able to live without the fate of the world dangling precariously from their hands.

Thanks again everyone for sticking around, and even if I don't respond to some comments, know I read and appreciate them all! Here's to all the progress we've made and all we still have left to cover!

Goodbye for now,

Zenith