An Icebreaking Battle!

Hey everyone! This was meant to be out a few hours ago, but I was staying with a friend after a birthday party, so I didn't get home until almost midnight! Still, I hope you all enjoy! It's finally time for Ash's last gym battle, for real this time!

~

After Ash tripped and nearly fell down a hill, he was even more glad that Zenith had showed up and helped him. Her sense of direction was also a big help, and her Espeon- with an indignant huff after being summoned in the cold- helped them navigate on the way back. Meanwhile, Glacey was loving the weather.

At one point, they ran into Greninja, who Ash had a heartfelt reunion with. It was cut short when they heard the cry of a wild Pokemon and found a Spewpa about to fall out of a tree and get seriously hurt. Both Ash and Greninja ran forward to help it, and in the process, Greninja transformed into Ash-Greninja and caught it mid-fall.

"You're back in sync!" Zenith exclaimed, catching up to them and having Espy use Morning Sun and Glacey use Heal Bell to assist Spewpa's recovery.

Ash and Greninja glanced at each other and smiled. "I guess we are, huh?" He picked up Spewpa and stroked its head. "Be careful next time, okay, Spewpa? One day you'll be a really cool Vivillon and then you can fly as much as you want."

"Spew, spewp!" The bug squirmed in his grasp as thanks before it was set down and scampered away.

"Gren..."

Ash turned to his Pokemon. "Greninja. I'm sorry about the gym battle, and that I ran off and worried you. But I realized while I was here that I can't give up, and that we have to work together to train and win. So next time, let's defeat Wulfric, okay Greninja?"

"Grenn, ja!" The ninja frog Pokemon gave him a fist bump.

As they walked back, it seemed like a snowstorm was rolling in. They quickened their pace as Ash told Zenith and Greninja about a story from his youth. He once got lost and rescued some wild Pokemon who were caught in a thunderstorm, hiding with them in a tree until it was safe to go out. That experience made him realize that he could help Pokemon and other people by getting stronger, and made him want to become a trainer.

Just as the storm really set in, they finally got back to the Pokemon Center, though Glacey was a big help by using Aurora Veil to shield them from the strong winds and heavy snowflakes. Everyone else who had gone out looking for him had returned because of the storm, and they were all relieved to see him, with Zenith's return to boot.

Well, after her initial relief, Serena was still pretty upset, turning away from them with her arms crossed and head up. Ash wound up having a private conversation with her while they waited for the storm to pass, apologizing for being rude and worrying everyone, but remained firm in strictly staying friends.

She reluctantly agreed, but anyone could see she still wanted to win his affections. At least she backed off for a while, and even joined in while the gang sat around the TV and watched an episode of Wipeout. A man named Jerry and his Marill became the group's favorite, even if he struggled in the sweeper round.

Finally, the storm was over, and everyone's Pokemon helped clear the snow from the Pokemon Center doors. Ash was even more resolved to win his next gym battle as soon as possible, while Serena discussed the upcoming Master Class in Gloire City with Pine and Crystal. The Kalos League conference was also revealed to be held in Lumiose City in a few weeks, so Zenith, Shadow, and Ash were excited about that.

Outside the gym, Greninja held out its Pokeball to Ash, and he happily took it. "You're right, buddy. We're partners and friends. So we're definitely going to win! And then reach the Pokemon League!"