Baking Contest

Grab your aprons, everybody, because it's time for the first challenge of the Showcase: the baking contest! Who will advance to the freestyle round? Let's find out!

~

As the time ticked down, Miette confidently made Pokepuffs with her Slurpuff and Meowstic at her side. Thanks to the former's keen sense of smell and the latter's psychic abilities to stir, they worked hard until the treats were done. The hourglass sand finished falling to the bottom.

"Time's up! Now we come to the judging!"

After the judges and their Pokemon tested each one, the winner was decided to be Miette.

From inside the waiting room, where Zenith was waiting with a Pinap juice while her sisters were adjusting their last accessories, they noticed Serena just staring at the screen.

"That Miette's a genius at making Pokepuffs...," she mumbled, to her Pancham and Braixen's dismay, who tried reassuring her through their Pokemon speech. "Right, we can do better than that!"

"Fat chance," Pine giggled under her breath. Then, the next group was called out. "That's us!"

"And now," Monsieur Pierre announced, "is a special treat! The three remaining Sawyer sisters are all working together instead of the usual duo of Pine and Crystal! Everyone, give a warm welcome to Shadow Sawyer, the rough and tough tomboy you all can't seem to get enough of, and the sisters of the Kalos Queen!"

Crystal, dressed in a blue and black jumpsuit with a maroon cape, waved with a big smile, her Greninja staring less excitedly beside her, while Pine struck a pose in her green blazer and lightning bolt-patterned leggings- yellow on black- beside Chesnaught. Finally, Shadow leaned further back into Delphox with crossed arms, trying not to itch at her red cloak, who in turn wrapped her paw-arms around her sides and tilted her head to the side.

The crowd roared their praise, completely ignoring the other two performers. One was called Jessilia, who had failed in the first round of the last Showcase.

"Now, make your Pokepuffs, if you please!"

The groups got to work. Chesnaught sniffed around until he found the best ingredients depending on what he suspected the judges would like, Delphox used Psychic to carry them over and start preparing while the sisters all started mixing them. Once that was done, Greninja used his incredible speed and reflexes to help ice and decorate them.

"Time is up! Let our judges taste them!"

Crystal carried the light blue whipped Pokepuff with Tanga Berry filling, Pine carried the light green Pokepuff with little yellow and white sprinkles that was made of cooked Coba Berry, and Shadow carried the light red Pokepuff that was shaped more like a bun that was drizzled with Wacan Berry icing and had a touch of cinnamon on the top.

The judges had their Pokemon try all the Pokepuffs. "That Jessilee's Pokepuffs were enjoyed by my Pokemon," one said.

"But they looked quite strange," another remarked.

"What about the Sawyer Sisters' Pokepuffs?" The final asked. "They were all uniquely beautiful, and my Furfrou loved it!"

"Same with my Jigglypuff."

"And my Mime Jr."

Pierre called everyone's attention back. "The judges have made their choice. The performer going to the next round, or should I saw performers, are Crystal, Pine, and Shadow Sawyer!"

From inside the waiting room, Zenith took another sip of her juice and smiled. A moment later a woman came in. "Performer Serena, time for your entrance, okay?"

Her Pokemon exclaimed for her, while Serena balled her hand into a fist. "Okay, here it goes. Wish me luck everyone!"

"Good luck," Zenith said dryly. You're gonna need it if you want to get your first Princess Key. You might win this round, but your competition's narrowed down to the best of the best for the second. She turned her attention back towards the screen.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Pierre called, "Get ready for the final group!" The platform was raised, revealing Serena along with two other girls. "It's time to make Pokepuffs. Now, s'il vous plaît, begin!"

Serena began grabbing ingredients and putting them in a bowl, getting Pancham to mix them for her while she cut up more berries. Then she sent Pancham to look for some nectar, and got Braixen to use its fire moves to cook their pastries.

"Serena and her team are showing good teamwork, but no one is giving an inch. It will be a close call," Pierre commented.

Serena began icing her Pokepuffs as the last seconds trickled down, rushing as she somehow managed to finish it right as the timer ran out. She and her Pokemon were exhausted as the finished products were presented to the judges.

"So which performer will move on to the Freestyle Performance? That brings us to the judging!" Pancham grabbed its trainer's hand and Pierre continued announcing, Braixen doing the same.

The three judges let their Pokemon taste all the Pokepuffs before making their decision.

"The performer moving to the next stage is... performer... Serena! Congratulations!"

Zenith finished off the last sip of her Pinap juice before standing up and going to find a seat in the audience, glad that Ash and her friends saved her one.

"I can't believe your sisters made it! They're incredible!" Bonnie whispered when she realized Zenith came to sit with them. "Oh, and I guess Serena also made it in..."

"At least this time she actually made it to the Freestyle round," Zenith chuckled. Though she had little doubt in her mind how the Freestyle Round would go this time, at least Serena actually made it into the round this time.

Ash leaned over to whisper in Zenith's ear. "Those Pokepuffs your sisters made looked so good! Do you think they can bake us more sweet treats soon?"

"Oh Ash, you're always thinking with your stomach, aren't you?" She teased. "Of course! Crystal even runs a bakery after all, and all four of us Sawyer sisters love to bake!"

The rest of the group cheered at that statement.

~

Stay tuned for next week, which will feature the freestyle round in its entirety. The Sawyer Sisters vs. Miette vs. Serena, each performer(s) complete with their own unique display of move combos to amaze and take the Princess Key!

Goodbye for now,

Zenith