Finally Some Answers... And Even More Questions.

Alternate title: Finally A Chapter... And Even More Waiting.

~

Silver exuded an aura of power and slick confidence that Zenith recognized from many, many overzealous fans and rivals. Yet, he also had an indescribable charisma, with the kind of disposition that led her to believe he was extraordinarily cunning. Barely a few years older than her, there was no way he could have made it to the top of the Paradise without incredible talent.

She regarded him with a glance, but didn't make any moves to get closer. "The pleasure's all mine. So, you're the one my cousin Luna mentioned who helped out with digging up some old records?"

"That's me. I'm surprised one of the famed Sawyers would honor me so by bringing me up. Come now; we made some pretty stunning discoveries. My team was happy to help fulfill the Young Master's request." Louder, he added, "Continue about your day, everyone. The Young Master returned to our humble home to collect some research the tech department has organized, and we wouldn't want to interrupt that, now would we?"

Quickly, the crowd began to disperse; it was clear Silver's words held a lot of weight. "So, you're quite the charmer, huh? It's pretty obvious everyone around here respects you, too."

"If you really want to put that way, I'll take it as a happy compliment. The President and her people have built this place up from the ground and kept everyone within safe. Thus, it's only natural everyone looks up to us," he replied wryly and led her to a corner of the third-floor lounge, a small stack of printed papers and various article clippings compiled together within a manila folder. "Take a look inside."

Zenith complied, sitting down on a comfortably padded chair and carefully opening the folder, laying out the different documents and a few older pictures on the table before her. Some of the headlines documented the start and important turning points of the famed war, while others were legal or medical files for some of the old noble families.

It was the collection of pictures that really drew her attention first. One showed a group of three brothers, all looking to be about in their thirties. They each had dark hair and eyes, with tan skin and matching clothes bearing the insignia of a widely-branching tree. Vitalis was written in faded sharpie on the back of the picture, along with a date.

Over twenty years ago now... That fits the timeline. Mages hadn't been forced to flee the mainland yet, but it should be close to the start of the last war by then. Magic was already a touchy subject, but it wasn't downright illegal.

A few other pictures showed the same trio of siblings at various ages, sometimes alongside other family members. Parents, cousins, grandparents, but never any spouses or children.

"Notice anything weird? These three were considered some of the most handsome and kind bachelors of their time, especially among the mages. The fact that they were from a noble family made them even more popular, and yet, none of them ever took a wife or bore children. All three of them were killed in the war before they could settle down, right around the time President Lusamine established Sanctuary, our Paradise's former title and humble roots," Silver explained, pointing from picture to document in a linear fashion.

Zenith nodded, following his index finger. "That's odd- I remember from my lessons years ago that, before the war, the descendants of powerful families like that always married young and continued their legacies. It wasn't until after everyone was forced to come to the Paradise and magic became more a curse than a blessing that most of the remaining families, the ones who hadn't perished, stopped having kids or married into less powerful families to dilute their magic."