Zygarde Unrest and the Last Princess Key

First up, plot progression regarding Team Flare and the Zygarde. As for the second part, I won't call this Serena redemption but I can't deny she's becoming a bit more bearable. Maybe. So here you go, blondie: prove yourself in your last Rookie Showcase. And finally, not a short Showcase chapter!

~

Our heroes in a clearing near a river, relaxing after a meal. Bonnie went to check on Squishy, starting to sing a song to it. Zenith smiled as she listened to the girl's soft voice, the others also watching the sweet scene.

When she finished, Serena had a hand on her hip. "Nice song. Where'd you hear it?"

"I just made it up on the spot, Serena," the blonde said with a shrug.

"Uh-huh, and Tepig fly. Song theft is a crime."

Pine and Shadow dragged her away while Crystal complimented Bonnie's singing skills. "I'm sure Squishy really liked it."

"Thanks! It looks kind of worried, so I wanted to cheer it up."

Chespin and Pancham tried to get Squishy to play with them, but instead, Squishy headed off to bathe in the sunlight. Pikachu, Dedenne, Eevee, Chespin, Pancham, and some of the sisters' Pokemon headed off to play on their own.

Squishy seemed to only get more worried, staring into space and making faces and concerned noises. Bonnie noticed and waded through the stream water to join Squishy, concerned that something was wrong. When asking didn't work, she figured it was sad and sang her song again to try and cheer Squishy up as the others looked on once more. Squishy finally fell asleep in the sunlight, comforted by Bonnie's voice.

"I wonder if it was trying to contact one of the other cores, like Z2," Shadow muttered to her sisters, out of earshot from the others. "If so, that would explain why it was so upset. Team Flare could be messing with it again."

"Should we bring out Z3 and try to find and help?" Pine suggested, but her sisters vehemently shook their heads.

"The last thing we need to do is give Team Flare more targets. If they manage to get all of Z3, there's no doubt their evil plans will progress even faster. Besides, you know Z2. It won't let itself get caught," Zenith reminded them. She wished she could help the little Zygarde, but risking more was far too dangerous.

Still, only an hour or so later, a roar reminiscent of a Zygarde could be heard faintly in the distance, waking Squishy once more, and it was even more concerned-looking. The sisters exchanged a look, hoping they could reassure the small Pokemon.

"Shh, go back to sleep, Squishy," Crystal murmured, petting its head. "I'm sure your friend will be okay. You don't need to worry."

It didn't work. The core only became more panicked as time went on, writhing with closed eyes as it attempted to make contact. All the Zygarde cells and cores were connected through a strange sixth sense, with the cores being able to speak through telepathy when close enough, but it was clear things on Z2's end weren't going so well.

"Hey Bonnie, everyone, it's time to go!" Ash exclaimed from back where camp was, waving them over.

"Wait! Something is wrong with Squishy!" Bonnie shouted back, watching the Pokemon worriedly. "It seems really upset and worried!"

Ash walked over, studying the Pokemon. "Maybe try holding Squishy since it enjoys being held? It might calm down."

The blonde did so, cradling it close. "It's okay, Squishy. I'm right here. I promise, you're safe."