Early Ambushes and a Blazing Battle!

Time to meet that guy Zenith saw in the Pokemon Center last time! And he might be more important later on, especially to a certain someone... looking at you, Blazey!

~

It was early the next morning, our heroes sleeping in their Pokemon Center room, when something large and hand-shaped smashed through the glass sliding door and snatched Pikachu, everyone waking up and scurrying to rescue Ash's partner Pokemon, still in their pajamas.

A look out from their balcony revealed Team Rocket in their hot air balloon.

"Rise and shine, losers!" Jessie, James, and Meowth cackled.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?" Ash demanded.

They said their mantra, repeated the same thing about stealing Pikachu as usual, and flew off, leaving behind Gourgeist and Inkay to slow them down. Ash led the charge, but was shot at by Shadow Ball and Psybeam. He managed to dodge away, making sure everyone else was okay too, while Zenith released Pokemon from her belt.

"Didn't think we'd have to do something like this so early, but better now than never. Ninetales, Zoroark, let's go, s'il vous plaît!" The Fire-Type and Dark-Type mons appeared at her side.

Gourgeist launched a Dark Pulse at them, Zenith narrowing her eyes. "Zoro, give it a taste of its own medicine, and Ninetales Fire Blast the balloon, stop them from escaping!" The Pokemon complied, Dark Pulse hitting Dark Pulse, but before Ninetales' move could land, a Charizard and its trainer appeared up a nearby staircase, blocking the evil team in. The Pokemon had a necklace or choker that looked like it held a Mega Stone around its neck.

As the trainer in question came into view, Zenith realized she recognized him. The boy from the Pokemon Center. He also had a Key Stone bracelet on his wrist. So a pretty strong trainer, too. I wonder why he showed up.

"A Charizard?" Ash seemed familiar with the Pokemon. "I had one of those back in Kanto!"

"Who are you!?" Jessie asked, irked her escape route had been cut off. "Keep your flames out of our fight!"

"Go book another fiery flight!" James added

The boy only glared at them. "Charizard, use Dragon Claw." His Pokemon's talons glowed with bright blue-green energy, and he swiped at the robotic arm holding Pikachu, letting the Electric-Type free. Ash instructed it to use Thunderbolt mid-fall, hitting Team Rocket's balloon and sending them blasting off once more. Then Charizard caught Pikachu before it could fall to the ground and setting it safely down next to Ash.

"Nice moves," Shadow commented, sizing the newcomer up. For once, she looked impressed rather than disinterested, something the raven-haired girl didn't display often.

"I'm sure my Charizard would love to meet yours some time," Pine added. "It looks pretty strong."

The boy walked down the steps, patting his Pokemon's neck. "Well done, Charizard. And I'm impressed by your bravery," he added to our heroes. "Jumping into battle mere moments after waking up, coming up with a plan to counter your enemy's tactics with powerful and accurate moves, and firing a midair Thunderbolt while falling to the ground; all such things require serious skill and courage."

"But if Charizard hadn't been there, it might not have worked," Ash countered. "Thanks a lot, Charizard."

"Pika-pika!"

"Rowr-zar." The Pokemon's Mega Stone glinted in the morning sunlight.

"Is that a Mega Stone? That means Charizard is able to-"