Ash vs. Sawyer, Rematch!

After that lovely dance, concert, and Bonnie's entrance as a trainer, it's back down to business! Starting with a fight against Ash's rival!

~

The next morning, the Sawyer cousins got called for another mission and had to leave, and Gladion and Lillie also had to say their goodbyes, as they were needed to gather more data from the local libraries (anything regarding old magic families that might have found their way into the archives, to be specific). Then, they encountered Ash's rival Sawyer, who challenged him to a best of three Pokemon battle. Ash accepted, and his Hawlucha took down Sawyer's Shelgon. Then the green-haired boy sent out Honedge, which Bonnie scanned into her Pokedex.

"The Sword Pokemon, huh? Apparently it's a spirit within a sword!"

Ash started using Pikachu, and Honedge attempted to hit it with Fury Cutter, but it was deflected by an Iron Tail and shocked midair with Thunderbolt, easily knocking it out.

"Nice job, Ash! You're much stronger than before!" Zenith cheered him on from the sidelines. "That means you've won twice in a row. This is the last match!"

Sawyer returned Honedge and brought out his last Pokemon: Sceptile. Ash also wanted to show off a Pokemon he evolved, so he sent out Greninja. Not the smartest choice given the time disadvantage, but it knew Aerial Ace and was probably Ash's strongest Pokemon, so Zenith could see the reasoning. Either way, Ash had already technically won.

Bonnie scanned Sceptile, too. "So Grovyle evolved, huh?"

"Use Bullet Seed!"

"Check this out!" Ash smirked. "Use Water Shuriken!" They both showed off their Pokemon's new moves, which met in midair and created an explosion. "Use Cut!" Greninja jumped through the smoke and slashed at Sceptile, but it managed to dodge.

"I know we've got the match-up advantage but I've still got to stay on my guard!" Sawyer said to himself.

"Keep it going with Aerial Ace!" Ash called, Greninja's hand glowing white.

"Sceptile, Leaf Blade!" Sceptile formed swords out of leaves on both of its wrists and met the attack blow for blow. It created another explosion. "Dragon Pulse, go!" The Grass-Type let out a beam of purple energy that was shaped like a dragon.

"Dodge it, quick!" Greninja did a backflip away from the Dragon Pulse, crossing its arms as it started to hit. There was another explosion that Greninja took the brunt force of, but it was still conscious after the smoke cleared, kneeling. "Can you go on, Greninja?"

"Keep pushing! LEAF STORM!" Sawyer cried, so close to victory. His Pokemon held out its tree-like tail, and hundreds of leaves appeared, shooting around Greninja and launching it into the air.

"Greee-en!!!"

"Greninja!" Ash stared up at his Pokemon, worried.

Sawyer held his hands at his sides. "I think I've figured out Greninja's battling style. It uses speed to get up close so it can finish up the battle with just one attack. So if I can attack from a distance, I'll have the advantage."

Greninja was suspended in the air within the Leaf Storm, crying out.

"YOU CAN DO THIS, ASH, GRENINJA!" Zenith shouted, hoping the Water-Type could manage to pull through.

"ALRIGHT SCEPTILE, WRAP THIS UP!" Sawyer said just as loud. Sceptile threw Greninja to the ground as the leaves finally stopped swirling.

Ash was shaking with determination, and Zenith noticed a small glow appear in his eyes. "Greninja, can you still battle!? There's no doubt we can win this thing!" His Pokemon was hunched over but still standing in the dust of the last attack, its own eyes glowing as it shouted its name.