Trouble on the Other Side

Oh boy do I have a treat for you today! The girls have been hinting about the rest of their family for a while... now, it's time for you to get a sneak peak of the Sawyer life!

~  ~

"What do you think the Paradise is like?" Crystal murmured. It was night, and everyone was asleep in the Pokemon Center except her and her sisters, who had climbed onto the roof and were stargazing.

"I hope it's become everything mom wanted," Zenith sighed. The night air was cool and refreshing, and a full moon hung in the sky like a mythical glowing orb. "A perfect place for mages, sorceresses, and sorcerers to call home. A place where magic isn't forbidden and people are able to use their powers in peace and harmony."

"It sounds wonderful," Pine agreed. "Do you think we, her, Bolt, and Icy could live in peace there one day? Or maybe even back home when the world is more accepting?"

Shadow turned to the side, the words of their father echoing in her ears. "Freak. Witch. You four girls are demons just like your ungrateful mother! I gave her a family and a home, yet no one gives me an ounce of respect! All of you are worthless, and you'll never amount to anything! Nobody could love a freak like you!"

"You guys put too much faith in society. They're just like dad; they think we're monsters. Freaks of nature. We'll never fit in with them. Being separated is better because at least with others like us, we won't be tackled in alleyways or even in the middle of the street!" She muttered. "He was right in one thing: we'll never amount to anything, at least in their eyes."

"Ignore that bastard, Blaze. He was just like us in the end. He never let us forget." Pine's bitter mutter almost went unheard. None of them wanted to remember anything about him, especially not the furious storms he could conjure at his worst.

"So we show them otherwise, girls," Crystal comforted. "Sky is Champion and Kalos Queen, and Rose and I aren't far behind. I run a successful bakery and she has a training facility, and you're the Professor's best assistant, Blaze. Heck, we're the most famous band in history! Bolt is working undercover for the cause, and Icy is at the Paradise right now, safe and practicing her own magic."

"So all of our powers are awakened now." Pine whispered. "The four elemental quadruplets, and the six total elemental siblings. A powerful sorceress mother. We're something, huh?"

"That we are, sis," Zenith breathed. "We're everything but normal, that's for sure."

~ ~

"Lusamine, your children wish to see you," a friendly deep feminine voice said in a hushed voice. The white-clothed blonde she was speaking to looked up from her desk at the mauve-haired woman in her doorway.

"Thank you for the notice, Wicke. Tell them I'll be out in just a moment." She took a moment to put away her most important documents and seal the drawer with a spell before standing up and stepping in front of her desk. "Gladion, Lillie, come in darlings."

The two blonde children did so, bowing respectfully before they exchanged warm but rushed smiles. "The girls are headed to Lumiose for their concert and catching up on things, keeping the house intact," Gladion reported matter-of-factly. "They made a few new friends that they're traveling with, staying both on and off the radar like usual."

"Of course, thank you, Gladion. Any news from the cause?" Lusamine replied.

The boy only shook his head. "Still as headstrong as ever. They seem to have everything out against our kind."

The woman's face fell to a grim but understanding frown. "And any sign of Mohn?"

"After he fell through the wormhole and disappeared, we still haven't seen him, but Faba and the other scientists have figured that by now he must have suffered some type of memory loss. Either way, that concludes my most recent updates," he said in a reserved tone, motioning for his younger sister to continue.

Lusamine's face turned towards the other blonde, this one with a much shorter and curvier figure, likely helped by the tight white gown she wore, the standard outfit for Paradise residents. "And you, Lillie?"

"Go on, Icy," Gladion whispered to her. "You can show her."

The timid blonde nodded, slowly walking forward. She extended her arm as she spoke. "I've been practicing, just like you asked, M-mother." A tendril of ice appeared in her palm before wrapping itself around her forearm.

Slowly but surely, she twirled the ice around herself, as if hardly using any effort at all and all the effort in the world at the same time. She made it larger and smaller at will before waving a finger and it disappeared. Then, she exhaled a deep breath, covering the floor in a sheet of ice before she once again waved a finger and it seemed to instantly melt away.

"I-I've worked every d-day to improve, y-you see," she stuttered, but her mother pulled her into a hug.

"Oh Lillie, I'm so very proud of you," the woman murmured. "It's kids like you two and the quadruplets that will change the future for the better. Keep working, my loves, and we'll all go far."

As she released her daughter from a hug, an alarm rang out, and a few cries could be heard from outside the door. Lusamine's eyes immediately widened as she heard the sound. Lillie flinched away from it before she and Gladion were swept away. "Until the coast is clear and I give the signal, run from here and do not return. I hope this is just a false alarm, but we must be prepared for the worst. Find shelter and stay hidden, my darlings."

"Yes Mother," Gladion said briskly as he lead his younger sister out the back passage of their mother's office. They went down the ladder and through the tunnel that lead under the ocean, back to the mainland.

Lillie slowed to a stop as she looked up through the reinforced glass, seeing multiple large helicopters nearing the Paradise. Gladion pulled her a few steps further, and they passed the Barrier. Lillie looked back and the Paradise was invisible to her.

"What shall we do, big brother?" She asked, tears beginning to fall from her eyes.

He shook his head softly, giving her a look of pity. "We do what Mother said. As long as the Barrier is up, the Paradise is safe from any invaders."

The young girl took a deep breath, trying to prevent her sobs from erupting. She touched her palm to the side of the glass and closed her eyes before murmuring something in a language that certainly wasn't English.

Then, the water around them froze into ice, spreading to the surface in seconds. The prying helicopters turned away from the Paradise's hidden location towards the rapidly-growing sheet of ice over the water.

Gladion yanked Lillie away from it as they began to sprint toward the mainland once more. "Lillie, I think that was the most foolish thing you could have done," he exclaimed with hardly a breath to spare, "but you may have just saved the Paradise."

She could only bleakly nod as they neared the access port to the land, vision growing blurry around the edges. Lusamine warned her never use the ancient spells without inherent permission, and only after heavy training would she ever be permitted to.

But this was an emergency, and that always called for the extreme, right?

Just as Gladion pulled her through the door and slammed it shut, an explosion jostled them from their feet, and Lillie's world went black.

~  ~

You tried, Lillie, and your sacrifice won't be in vain- hopefully that explosion won't leave any lasting damage to you or your brother, and the Paradise will remain safe for the magic-using folk!

Anyway, that wraps up today's edition of the Sawyer Experience, and as always, stay tuned for next week's chapter!

Goodbye for now,

Zenith