Head vs. Heart

Crystal vs. Shadow, water against fire, but a simple type advantage isn't going to be enough to call the match! It's all up to strength and willpower! Without further ado, here it goes!

~

Crystal had switched Vapor out for her Greninja, while Shadow remained with her Houndoom. Pine started their match, while Clemont resumed the one between Tierno and Ash. "Pikachu use Thunderbolt!"

"We're not gonna lose! Hydro Pump, go!" Tierno countered.

Zenith smiled internally and turned to watch her sisters' battle, knowing Ash could face his opponent with a clear type advantage and some hard work. "Use Incinerate!"

"You gotta do better than that against my Water-Type!" Crystal smirked. "Ninj, use Water Shuriken!"

Shadow's wry expression turned to a grin. "I knew you'd say that!" Zenith watched as Greninja ran towards its opponent to launch its hydro projectiles, just for Houndoom's fiery attack to dodge it at the last second, turn in midair, and smack into Greninja's back. "Now, Smog!"

"Get outta there, Greninja, use your tongue!" The starter bounced on its tongue like a spring and leapt away like a gymnast, successfully evading the poison gas but still wincing from the burn on its back. "Tie it up with a Grass Knot while you're in the air!"

"Incinerate on yourself, Houndoom!" Shadow instructed, her Pokemon alighting itself momentarily, which burnt up all the blades of grass trying to wind around it. "Now, go for Crunch!"

"Use Fling!" Greninja scooped up a large pile of dirt from the ground and threw it towards the rapidly-incoming Houndoom's face, temporarily blinding it. It then jumped away.

Houndoom had to take a moment to paw at its eyes until it could see again, baring its fangs angrily. "You've done it now," Shadow stated. "Houndoom took that one personally, Yuki. You know what happens when our hearts are connected..."

"Good grief," Crystal sighed, allowing herself to roll her eyes.

"Houndoom, pump it up! Let that raging inferno inside you and I take over and strengthen us! Mega Evolve!" Shadow made a show of activating her Key Stone, Zenith watching as her sister's Pokemon grew at least two feet taller- much thanks to its gigantic horns reminiscent of Shadow's mage form- and its silver shoulder plates grew out like fangs. Houndoom let out a howl that let onto its bloodhound/hellhound origins.

It's no wonder she chose Houndoom as a tough Pokemon user; the Fire- and Dark-Type is a force to be reckoned with by looks alone, and it has the bite to back up its bark. But with the amount of pleasure she gets from dramatizing her shows in battle, I find it strange she doesn't enjoy performing as much as the rest of us... Zenith's train of thought was cut short by the yells of battle.

"Now, Sludge Bomb!"

"You know what to do! Break it up with Water Shuriken and dodge the rest Greninja!" The frog easily leapt over the small blobs of acid that managed to bypass its defensive attack. "Use Lick!"

"Wait for it... Crunch!" Houndoom snapped its jaws at Greninja got close. "Now, Incinerate again!" While the starter was still recovering, it was blasted in the face by a plume of fire swirling around the Mega's body.

"You'll regret that!" Crystal exclaimed, watching as Greninja backed a bit away and looked back at her. They shared a nod at the same moment. "Our minds are unified!"

Suddenly, a huge swirl of water erupted from seemingly thin air and surrounded Greninja. When it disappeared, a large Water Shuriken was on its back. Its skin was a dark navy blue, while parts of its head turned black with teal markings. The yellow on its belly also disappeared for the most part.