Chapter Five - Facing Your Demons

Over time, Elizabeth hadn't exactly warmed to Sam's new approach to life, but had definitely gotten used to it.
Whilst Bobby scraped up every ounce of information that could lead to Sam getting his soul back, Elizabeth had studied his patterns on hunts. If nothing else, he'd certainly become predictable. The amount of times she'd resorted to pistol-whipping him before he unnecessarily killed someone was rather impressive.
But as the year since Sam went to the Cage rolled into its first anniversary, Elizabeth was beginning to wonder if this was enough.
Plus, giving him repeated concussion wasn't exactly the best solution.

"When do you think we should bring Dean back into this?" Elizabeth asked.
She and Sam were having a rare moment where they were doing hunting research in her room and not driving the other insane.
But this question came a bit out of the blue and confused Sam a little.
"Why do we need to bring him into it? I told him before the Cage that he should be happy with Lisa and he is." He replied.
"You say that as though you have the ability to care about Dean's happiness." Elizabeth rolled her eyes, tapping her ballpoint pen on the tiny breakfast table she was rocking her chair at. "Plus, you and I both know that it's only a matter of time before he gets back into hunting by himself. He may as well have backup. Not to mention I'm out of ideas as to how to get your soul back."
It was Sam's turn to roll his eyes.
"I told you, I'm better without it. I don't have to worry about unnecessary crap like I used to. It only put us all at risk." He sighed.
"I'd rather be put at risk than continue to watch you become a merciless killer. I hope you realise that your father or Dean would've most likely put you down by now. You're just lucky I have the patience of a saint and water down the things I tell Bobby so he doesn't put a bullet in you, himself." The Vampire folded her arms across her chest, leaning on the two back legs of the chair as her calves found a home on the edge of the table.
"I honestly don't know why I felt so bad about not growing up with a mom. Having you here chewing my ear off is bad enough without growing up with it too." Sam huffed.
"Do you hear yourself? You with a soul would've never said something like that about your mom and would've punched seven bells into anyone who did."
"Hell of a mommy's boy for someone who only had one for six months." Sam shrugged.
Elizabeth closed her eyes and took a deep breath, channelling everything inside her to avoid breaking his neck right then and there.
Then she got up.
"I'm going to the Hospital for a blood run, just so that I'm not tempted to feed on you just to shut you up.' Turning to leave, she added, "I'm getting you some food on the way back. I'll leave it on your doorstep in case you have... Company."

Elizabeth didn't go anywhere for a long while. She just sat in her thinking position in her Camaro - in the driver's seat with her forehead planted solidly on the steering wheel.
Except this time she had her phone to her ear.
"I don't know what I'm going to do with him, Bobby. He seems to be caring less and less every month."
"I've had this plan B idea if nothing else works." Bobby told her.
"Is it Dean?" Elizabeth asked.
"No. That's plan C. But I'm all out of plan A's, so I'm giving you B." He replied. "You're probably not gunna like it."
Elizabeth lifted her head from the steering wheel and scowled aimlessly at whatever was in front of her.
"What is it..?" She groaned.
"You summon Crowley. Ask him if he can go to the Cage and get Sam's soul back." Bobby sighed heavily.
"You must be joking." Elizabeth scoffed. "After the stunt he pulled last time? You almost became Hellhound munchies."
"'Liza, we ain't got much choice anymore. The least you can do is ask as an old friend or something." The man replied.
Elizabeth squeezed her eyes shut, holding her breath.
By the time she exhaled again, the air released from her lungs long and hard.
"Fine. I'll do my best. But when he says no, I'm driving Sam over to Dean myself." She said.
"You got it." Bobby said, hanging up the phone.

"Elizabeth. How nice of you to consider me in your little summoning spell." Crowley smiled, appearing before her as she hovered over the tiny breakfast table in her room later that evening.
"Cut the crap, Crowley. After what you did to Bobby, you're standing on ice so thin, it looks like you're hovering." Elizabeth scowled.
"Ah yes, my sincere apologies for that little misunderstanding. Forgive me?" He faux-pouted, putting his hands together.
"I might. If you can do something for me." Elizabeth replied, walking round the table towards him. Crowley simply frowned, egging her to go on. "I want you to go down into the Cage and retrieve Sam's soul."
Crowley began to chuckle, running his index fingertip along his bottom lip.
"You can't be serious." He said.
"Yeah, I look like the epitome of undying jokes." The Vampire rolled her eyes. "Now, can you do it or not?"
"'Fraid not, little Bat." Crowley shrugged. "I may be high up in Hell's ranks, but I'm not that high up."
"Then do you at least know someone who can help?" Elizabeth sighed.
"I do know people who can help, but it's not about if they can, it's about if they will." The Demon replied.
"Great." The Vampire huffed. "That's just perfect. Thanks for your time, anyway."
"Wait, is that it?" Crowley moved a few steps forward.
Elizabeth nodded.
"Yes, that's it. You can go now."
Crowley scoffed, not really knowing what to do.
"Fine then." He muttered before disappearing.