Chapter Eighty - Casifer

Over an hour later, they were sure they'd hit a brick wall, until...
"Wait a second, I think I have something. 'The Spell of Gathering.' It's an incantation used to 'focus the power of celestial beings' - Angels - 'against all drawn forms of evasion.'" Sam read aloud to a very bored looking Casifer. "This spell is designed to clear all mystical or occult blockages. I mean, this is highly theoretical magic, it's never been used before, but it sounds like it could work."
"Do you have the ingredients?" 'Castiel' asked as the man sat down next to him.
"Uh... All but one..." Sam sighed, feeling his hope draining as he let out a breathy scoff. "That's why it's never been used before. It requires the power of an Archangel."
The Winchester closed the book, groaning as he wiped a frustrated hand down his face. 'Cas', meanwhile, looked thoughtful.
"Damn, it's a real shame we don't have one of those." Eden commented, leaning against the archway between the corridors and the library.
"Well, Sam, we may as well try." 'Cas' shrugged.
"What? With Eden or something? Do you think she counts as a type of Archangel? She was Amara's first and only, after all." Sam babbled.
"No. Eden doesn't have grace. In fact, we don't know what she has. If I had to take a guess, I'd say either pure Darkness - which I'd probably call 'disgrace' for continuity, or unrighteous vengeance, which is apparently what God deems to be the opposite of angelic grace." 'Castiel' said.
"None taken." Eden rolled her eyes.
"Shame." 'Cas' retorted.
"Would you two stop, please? Look, we don't have time for long shots. If Eden's power won't work then that only leaves us with you, Cas... And even at full power, you're not strong enough." Sam sighed, getting out of his seat.
As he left the room, 'Cas' grabbed the book, looking over the spell.
"So, are you going to do it?" Eden asked, wandering over towards him.
"Gotta blend in, haven't I?" He smirked. "What better way to do that than by saving Dean Winchester?"
"Successfully performing a spell that only an Archangel can achieve is hardly blending in, Lucifer." Eden hissed. "But, suit yourself, go ahead. If you spill the beans yourself, I get to keep my friends alive. So, go ahead, do it." She shrugged.
"Well... I suppose they had to find out eventually." Lucifer sighed. He got up, going to find the ingredients. "Are you coming?"
Eden rolled her eyes, following him.

After getting all of the ingredients and tools they needed, Lucifer set it all up back in the library whilst Eden begrudgingly stood and watched a few feet away.
"Hey." Sam announced himself as he walked over to them with a book tucked under his arm. "Guys, what is that?" He frowned, looking at the array of items on the table.
"It's your 'Spell of Gathering.'" 'Cas' replied.
"Are you nuts?" Sam raised his brows. "You're not strong enough, Cas, you could get hurt."
"You find a better option?" The Angel mumbled.
"Well, no, but without a serious boost to your Angel power, that spell won't even work!" Sam protested.
"My strength may surprise you." 'Castiel' told him as he chopped up some ingredients with a cleaver.
"Wait a second." Sam whispered, placing his book down before beginning to pace. "I remember, Bobby told me, when you needed strength to retrieve us from the past, you used him to power up, you touched his soul, right?"
"That's right, I did that." 'Cas' replied with a slightly confused and certainly unconvincing expression.
Eden scoffed, shaking her head as she crossed her arms.
"But, uh, that procedure, it can be fatal." He continued.
"Use my soul." The Winchester told him.
"Sam, no." Eden interjected.
"Eden, stay out of this." Sam snapped, turning back to the Angel. "If you do, you might have enough power to wield the spell."
"That isn't necessary." 'Cas' smirked as he sprinkled some ingredients into a large metal bowl.
"It's worth the risk." Sam sighed. "Cas, Dean needs our help. I trust you."
"Don't." Eden growled.
The Winchester looked between them, seeing the smirk on 'Castiel's' face that soon turned into a breathy laugh.
"What?" Sam frowned.
"No, no, it's just... I don't need you anymore." Lucifer sniggered, no longer using Cas' deep, gravelly voice. "Dean's the one with the link to Amara, why have I been trying to spare you? I mean, maybe it's because you're like the girl who kept turning me down at the prom." He took a fistful of Sam's shirt, pinning him against one of the Bunker's cement pillars.
"Don't you bloody dare touch him!" Eden yelled, moving to grab him, but Cas' arms were longer. He grabbed her by the throat and squeezed as hard as he could.
"I will touch your soul, Sam, just because you asked so nicely. And I'll use your spell to blast through the warding and retrieve Dean and the, uh... Hand of God. And then, when Dean comes back and he finds this place decorated with your guts, I will tell him the truth, Sam. I just say; 'Dean-" He cut himself off, holding up a finger before returning to Cas' voice. "'Dean. He knew the risks. He wouldn't take no for an answer.'"
"Lucifer." Sam breathed.
"In the flesh." Lucifer whispered with a nod.
"That's what you wouldn't tell me." The Winchester looked to Eden.
"I'm sorry, Sam, I'm so sorry. I wanted to tell you but he threatened Cas' life and I couldn't... I'm sorry." Eden sobbed.
"She did, she really did wanna tell you. And the funny thing is, she can't even hurt me right now because, anything she does to me, she does to poor old Cas too." Lucifer faux-pouted.
With one hand, he used his power to launch Eden across the library, making her crash over the top of the map table in the War room and straight into the cast iron stairs on the other side.
With the other hand, he went fingers first through Sam's chest, reaching for his soul. Sam cried out in agony as a bright white light washed over the two men.
Lucifer frowned, pulling his hand back out, making Sam drop to the floor.
Eden used her enhanced speed to rush to his side, dropping to her knees beside him, her black lace gown pooling around her legs.
"What the Hell have you done?" She sneered.
"Hello, Castiel." Lucifer's voice was strained.
"Pigeon?" Eden gasped.
Castiel fell to his knees, clearly struggling for control over the vessel as Sam regained consciousness.
The Winchester backed away from him into Eden with fear.
"No, no, Sam." Cas groaned. "It's me."
"Cas." Sam panted. "Why?"
"I wanted to be of service to the fight." The Angel replied. "And only Lucifer can beat her."
"You chose this." Sam finished for him. "You have to fight, Cas. Eject him now!"
"I can't!" Cas snapped. "It's taking all my strength to keep him from killing you."
"What can I do?" Eden asked.
"I heard him when he blackmailed you and I'm sorry. I don't care if your power hurts me, just do what you have to do to keep him under control." He told her. "But don't kill him, we need him."
"No, Cas, we don't. We'll find another way to stop Amara." Sam said.
"We need him to save Dean." Castiel groaned.
"You can't time travel..." Sam realised.
"That's why he said he needed Eden, to keep his cover." Cas nodded.
"Do it." Eden told him. "Use Lucifer's power."
"I'm trying but the warding's still u-"
Castiel disappeared before he could finish.
When he reappeared a few seconds later, he had Dean with him.
Eden quickly stood up and put her fist out in front of her, crippling the Archangel with intense pain.
"Eden, what are you-"
"Dean, that's not Cas!" Sam cut him off, pointing an accusing finger at the man who still had a hold of the older brother's shoulder.
"Cat's out." Lucifer half groaned, half laughed.
Despite his agony, Lucifer used the hold he had on Dean and threw him across the library table, being sure to take the Hand of God from him first.
Eden tightened her fist, strengthening the spell.
Lucifer cried out, but still, somehow, continued to laugh.
The girl released her fist, knowing it wasn't doing anything of value and only causing Castiel futile pain.
"Oh, that's better." Lucifer chuckled, standing up straight again. "You know, I feel a burden's lifted. This whole 'deep cover' thing... It just wasn't terribly well thought out. Though, I've gotta say, I was surprised at you, Eden. I didn't know you cared so much about one little regular Angel's life. That really helped, so thank you." He smiled, placing a hand on his chest. "Donning this 'Cas mask'? This grim face of angelic constipation? Just... Ugh. And then, teaming up with you three. I mean, I thought you boys were insufferable as mortal enemies, but working with you... Ugh. That's the soul crusher. Hey, Eden. Do you... Do you wanna tell Sammy all the mischief we got up to whilst you were away? The blood roses, the bed sharing, the stolen little kisses, the constant sexual tension." He smirked.
"Shut up." Eden growled.
She smelled blood. Sam's blood.
She didn't dare look back though. She didn't dare look at the pure and utter betrayal she knew would be on Sam's face.
"All whilst you knew it was me the whole time. So much for true love, huh?" Lucifer chuckled, shoving Dean up against the far wall with his power. "Why the faces, boys? You should be cheering. We have a common enemy. With this, she will be no problem. I mean, I will have killed you both by then, but still... Come on." As he spoke, he unwrapped the Hand of God from its cloth. "Or is it because you've just learned that Eden, here, is a dirty little cheating whore? Is it that? Because, if it is, I'm sorry you had to learn this way. Kinda sucks. And just goes to show, really, that she only loved you, Sam, because of your connection to me."
"I said shut up!" Eden screamed as tears poured down her face, blasting a tidal wave of power that knocked Lucifer back a few paces.
He only laughed, taking the weapon in his bare hand.
"No." Dean breathed. "No!"
Lucifer frowned.
Nothing was happening.
"It's kicked." He seethed.
"Well... Who woulda thought that the Hand of God would turn out to be a one-hitter?" Dean commented as the Devil threw the weapon onto the table.
He stormed over to Dean just as Sam had finished drawing an Angel Banishing sigil on the pillar beside him with his blood, smashing his hand down on it.
Lucifer screamed as he disappeared in a blinding white light.
The brothers looked to each other, panting heavy breaths. Dean looked to Eden, her cheeks stained with salt water, blackened by mascara.
"Was that true?" Sam asked her, not even bothering to look at her.
"Yes..." She whispered. "But not how he made it sound."
"Were you with him the whole time, knowing that it was him and not Cas?" Sam snapped.
"Yes..."
"Get out." The younger brother said, his voice low and dangerous.
"Sam, please, let me expl-"
"I said get out!" He yelled.
Eden sucked in a quivering breath, taking one last look at a betrayed Dean before she disappeared with a rustle of feathers.

She found herself standing on the edge of the highest point in the Grand Canyon, gazing with tear-filled eyes over the edge, the black lace of her gown joining her hair, blowing the breeze.
Eden knew that, even if she did jump, it wouldn't kill her. But maybe physical pain would numb some of the emotional pain for a while.
"Eden." A sickeningly familiar and unwelcome voice spoke from behind her.
"Leave me alone, Lucifer." She growled.
"What are you gunna do? Jump? You know that's not gunna do anything useful. So, come here, and we can finish our games." He said.
Eden turned around to face him with bloodshot, teary eyes. He was stood a few feet from her, perfectly relaxed.
"'Finish our games?'" She repeated. "You have just shattered the relationship I had with everything I love in a matter of sentences. And for what? Huh? What the bloody Hell possessed you to do that?"
"Nothing quite like breaking up morale to spice things up a little." Lucifer shrugged, putting on his signature sly smirk.
"You ruined the life I spent half a decade building just to 'spice things up a little?'" Eden sneered. "I thought you claimed to love me."
"I do! Don't you see? Now that I've successfully cut the cord on you and the Winchesters, we can get back to being us. I won't ever ask you to change just because your way of life doesn't fit with mine. I love you for all of you - not just the bit when you didn't know who you were. I mean, I'm powerful on my own, but with you? Eden, we could rival God." Lucifer's eyes glistened with hope and anticipation.
"You don't get it, do you?" Eden frowned, wiping the tears from her face. "I don't want to rival God. I don't want this power - not if it means I have to sacrifice the relationship I have with those I love. It's because of this power I knew you weren't Castiel. It's because of this power that I've had to dull my emotions enough to not care that I was spending time with you. It's because of this power that-"
"Well, now you're just making excuses." Lucifer chuckled. "You chose to be with me this past month. That was all you. And now your 'Elizabeth-ness' has caught up with you and you've realised that Sammy wouldn't approve. And now that you know he doesn't, let's go raise a little Hell in Heaven."
"I'm not going anywhere with you." Eden spat.
Lucifer rolled his eyes.
"Fine. Just don't go doing anything stupid."
Eden glared daggers at him through bloodshot eyes.
"Goodbye, Luci." She mumbled, taking a step back off the canyon.
Lucifer lunged forward, but it was too late. Instead, he watched her fall.
Just as she was reaching the ground, she unleashed her wings and swooped parallel to the floor.
Lucifer let out another low chuckle.
"That's my girl..." He whispered.