Chapter Ninety-Two - Child's Play

"So, I couldn't sleep - mind was too busy thinking about things. So, instead, I took a trip to one of my storage lockers to do some digging into my old files from my British Men of Letters days..." Eden said as she walked into the kitchen holding a rather large box with the Men of Letters sigil on it. "And I can't find anything that I deem relevant. I was wondering if you guys wanted to have a look."
She placed the box down by the table, where Sam and Dean sat eating breakfast.
"Wow, uh, okay. I was actually just telling Dean that I hadn't come up with anything around here." Sam scoffed, spinning in his chair to start digging through the box.
Castiel walked in at that moment.
"Mornin' sunshine. Want some coffee?" Dean greeted him, gesturing to the coffee pot.
"No, thank you. I have to go." Cas replied.
Dean looked between Sam and Eden, who frowned.
"Cas?" Sam called, getting up from his seat as Dean did.
"Cas, wait up!" The older brother added.
"Hey, wait a second. Where you off to?" Sam asked.
"Cleveland, Ohio."
"For what?" The younger brother pressed.
"I think I have a lead on Lucifer. I found a police report from Cleveland about a man who's eyes flared a glowing red. It could be Lucifer in a new body." Cas explained.
"Alright, yeah, that sounds like something. We should check it out." Dean nodded.
"No. The Devil is free because of me, finding him is my responsibility." Castiel argued.
"Cas, you're gunna want some back-up on this." Sam told him.
"If it is him, I will call you. In the meantime, I think you're needed here." The Angel retorted, turning to leave.
"The Hell was that about?" Dean mumbled.
"Mom." Sam said.
"What are you talking about? Mom's fine." The older brother replied as they walked back into the kitchen.
"You sure? Eden and I heard her walking around all night last night. I mean, don't you think she seems a bit... Withdrawn? You know, shaky?" Sam asked as they sat back down at the kitchen table.
"Of course she's shaky, she hasn't been on this planet since Jane Fonda was wearing leg warmers. All she needs is a little R and R, some good family time. She'll be aces." Dean clicked his tongue, sipping his coffee. "Hey, Eden, maybe you could take her out for a shopping trip or whatever. Get her some clothes that aren't yours."
"Sure." Eden shrugged, moving over to the fridge to grab a blood bag as Mary walked in. "Woah. I'm loving the hair."
"Thanks." Mary chuckled, pulling at the ends of her long, wavy bob.
She and the boys exchanged 'morning's and 'hey's, slightly awkwardly. The mother hummed in delight as she saw some leftover bacon on the table between the brothers.
"Um, we can fry up some more, that's probably cold by now, mom." Sam said.
"It's bacon." Mary scoffed, shoving some into her mouth.
"Wow. We are so related." Dean smirked, earning a light laugh from Sam and Eden.
"So, why the haircut?" Sam asked.
"I'm gunna keep it short if I'm gunna go out on a hunt, you know? Why give the bad guys the advantage of long, pull-able hair, right?" She shrugged.
"Wow. Been trying to tell Sam that for years." Dean commented.
"Eden manages just fine." The younger brother pointed out.
"Eden's also got the advantage of being a lot stronger and a lot faster than said bad guys." Eden replied, moving to sit next to him.
"Are you defending them?" The younger brother cocked a brow.
"Oh, absolutely not. Anyone goes near your hair with anything sharp, I'll fillet the bastard." The Dark Angel scoffed, sipping her blood.
"Hear that, Dean? Fillet." Sam smirked as the older brother gulped. Sam then turned back to Mary. "Did you say you were going out on a hunt?"
"I found a case." Mary replied.
"I thought you were still struggling with even the idea of the internet." Her youngest raised his brows.
The mother gave a nervous laugh.
"I had Dean pick up some newspapers when he went into town."
Sam and Eden cocked brows at the older brother.
"Woah, woah... You didn't tell me you were looking for a case." He protested.
"I wasn't." Mary said rather unconvincingly. "I just... Found one. Minnesota, two dead, locked room. Victims had put in a call about a crying baby, but the place was empty. The only thing at the scene was their bodies. It's been five days and the coroner still hasn't put out a cause of death - seemed fishy."
"Certainly sounds like our kind of thing." Eden shrugged, sipping her blood. "You three could go spend some time together and save some lives in the process."
"It's probably nothing. Thought I might get out there, stretch my legs." Mary added.
"I thought you weren't down to hunt in the first place." Sam frowned.
"Well, things change, right?" Dean gave his mother a reassuring nod, earning a smile back.
Mary, Dean and Eden looked to a rather hesitant Sam.
"Family hunting trip." Dean smirked.
"Sure." Mary nodded.
"Alright, meet in the car in ten." The older brother said excitedly.
"What are you gunna do while we're gone?" Sam asked Eden.
"Well, I'm probably going to continue digging on the British Men of Letters. If that gets boring then I'll save your mum a pain-staking girly trip out shopping and pick her up some clothes, since we're running out of my clothes that are... Mum-friendly." Eden chuckled.
"Really? You don't have to do that." Mary subtly protested.
"If there's one thing I've become good at over the millennia, it's finding suitable clothes. Plus, I rarely get some 'me time'. Don't worry. You three go have fun." She smiled.
"Alright. Love you." Sam sighed, giving her a quick peck before getting up to go get ready.
"Love you too." Eden replied, catching the smile Mary wore at the scene.