Chapter One Hundred and Fifty-Three - H-E-Double Hockey Sticks

Dinner had gone down well. Sam seemed to enjoy it, at least. Eden had opted to stay in their room so that Mrs Dowling wouldn't have force fed her, since she was, quote; 'skin and bones'. Sam had told her that Eden was tired from the day and needed to rest, to which Mrs Dowling had frowned, but accepted.
By the time night came, Eden had waited for Mrs Dowling to go to bed before she snuck off to Castiel's room to talk the case over some more whilst Sam slept.
The next morning, they went to reconvene, but it looked as though Sam's bed hadn't even been slept in.
"Where the hell did he go?" Eden frowned.
"Maybe he's downstairs." Castiel suggested, already half way out of the door.

Downstairs, there was also no sign of Sam, but Mrs Dowling was dancing away to some fifties show tunes via earphones as she vacuumed the living room.
"Excuse me? Sorry, excuse me." Castiel tried to grab her attention as she danced facing away from him. "Ma'am... HELLO?"
Mrs Dowling jumped as she heard him, removing her earphones.
"Oh. Hello, dears. Good morning. Are you hungry? I made some Johnny cakes."
"No. We don't eat. We're looking for our partner." Cas replied flatly.
"The very nice, the very tall fella?" The woman released a sharp exhale.
"Yes." Cas and Eden replied in a bored tone.
"He said he was going for a walk." Mrs Dowling chuckled, going to put her earphones back in. "And a milkshake."
"Sam Winchester... Having a milkshake with that much sugar, first thing in the morning?" Eden frowned. "Maybe he went to go and talk to Sonny without us..."
Cas didn't say anything, just stalked towards the front door.

At Harrington's, the place was empty, but the same song Mrs Dowling had been listening to through her earphones played over the shop speakers.
As they walked in, Sonny was just coming through from the back with a tray of napkin dispensers in hand.
"Oh, hi! Welcome to Harrington's. How can I help you?" She greeted, placing the tray down on the nearest table to complete her duties.
"We're looking for our partner." Cas replied.
"Who?" The girl asked with panted breaths from hard work.
"The man we came in with yesterday." The Angel elaborated.
"Six foot four, long-ish brown hair, hazel eyes... You gave him a free milkshake yesterday." Eden spoke up.
"Oh, the tall man." Sonny gave a breathy chuckle as she continued to bustle about the place, placing napkin dispensers on tables.
"Yes. The very tall man." Cas uttered.
"He was here a little while ago." She stated.
"And do you know where he is now?" The Angel huffed.
"Uh... He left when, um-" Sonny cut herself off when she went to reach for another napkin dispenser and Castiel placed his hand over hers to stop her, dragging the tray away.
"When what?"
"You... Heard what happened to Mister Smith?" The girl looked a little uncomfortable.
"What happened to Mister Smith?" The celestials asked in unison.
"He... Died. The same way as Conrad." She replied. "He became frantic last night, ran down the street and... That's when it happened."
"What's the address?" Eden asked.

Pulling up outside the Smith residence, the pair saw a huge white house and a red brick path leading up to the front door with a large pillar each side of it.
Castiel pulled the iron door knocker, tapping three times.
The door opened, revealing the wife of the man they'd met when they first arrived in town, now known to them as Cindy Smith.
"Oh, Agents!" Her honey soft voice sang through her toothy smile.
"Mrs Smith." They greeted with an equally polite nod.
"Come in, please." She said, stepping aside for them.
"Thank you." They uttered, looking around the huge light coloured foyer as the squeaky front door was closed behind them.
"Would you like a martini?" Cindy asked, beckoning them into a room to their left - a stunning, spacious sitting room.
"Uh, no, thank you." Cas stammered. "I, um, I don't mean to bother you, but we're looking for our partner. The tall man." Earning a confused look from the woman, he decided to elaborate. "Hair? He has beautiful hair."
Eden side-eyed him with a subtle smirk.
"What?" Cindy asked with her never-ending grin.
"Ah... This is complicated." Castiel sighed, turning around to take a seat in an armchair next to the fire place. "Mrs Smith..."
"NO!" She screamed, making the pair jump. She soon composed herself and her smile returned. "That's my husband's chair."
"Okay... Um... I think my partner wanted to talk to you about your husband." The Angel continued, walking back towards her.
"Justin? What about him?" Cindy's sickeningly-sweet voice asked.
"I'm so sorry, but last night, his head, um..."
"Let's not go there again..." Eden mumbled under her breath.
Castiel looked up in a half-hearted eye roll.
"Your husband. He died last night."
Cindy stared at them blankly for a second or two before cracking up in a fit of giggles.
"Oh... I think you're confused. Have you already had your martini today?" She teased.
"No... I'm not... He really died." Castiel looked to Eden for assistance, seeing she looked just as confused as he did.
"No, my husband, he's good." Cindy smiled.
"No, he's not."
"Honey?" A familiar voice came from down the hall, dragging everyone's attention away from the conversation.
Eden's eyes widened when she saw Sam in dark grey slacks, a white button down shirt, red striped tie and red cardigan, his hair pulled back and glasses sat on his nose.
"Is something wrong?" He asked, walking towards them. "Oh, hi there."
"...Agent?" Cas frowned.
"Justin." Sam introduced, holding out his hand to grab Castiel's. "Justin Smith. And you are?"
"Your partners." Cas gave a less-than-subtle wink.
Sam's polite expression faltered a little bit, covered with a breathy, slightly confused chuckle.
"Partners." He repeated, pulling Cindy into him to wrap his arm around her shoulders. "Super! That's swell, great."
"What is going on here?" Eden asked, her brows raised and her hand twitching with a mixture of confusion, anger and fear.
"I can't say I have any clue what you're talking about, Miss..." Sam trailed off, silently urging for a name.
"Missus Winchester." The Dark Angel growled, recalling Sam's cover at the boarding house.
"Excellent. It's a pleasure to meet you Mister and Missus Winchester. I'll tell you what; why don't you stick around for a while? We're having pot roast." Sam grinned, leaning down to kiss Cindy's cheek.
"Oh, no. We're not married." Castiel could feel the anger radiating from his friend. He turned to look at her, seeing her now glaring at the pair in front of them.
"My apologies." Sam pressed his free hand to his chest before turning to Cindy, holding her softly by the upper arms. "Honey. Make me a martini?"
She nodded with that consistent bright grin, giving the celestials a nod also, before moving to a whiskey cart in the corner of the room.
Castiel moved towards the Winchester, leaning in as he spoke in a hushed tone.
"Who does she think you are?"
"Well, I'm her husband, of course." Sam scoffed.
The Angel looked between the enraged Eden and Cindy in the corner, shaking the mixer in her hands.
"This is not your house."
Sam looked a little mixed up about his words, but came to some sort of realisation soon enough.
"I see. You're right. This is my wife's house. I am simply living here." He smiled proudly, looking to Cindy, who smiled back.
"Oh, you." She gushed.
"Oh, you." Sam repeated with a shake of his head.
"Oh, no..." Castiel's eyes widened.
"Oh, someone's gunna die." Eden grumbled.
"Something terrible has happened." The Angel realised.
"Another's about to..." His 'partner' growled.
"Hun, we're low on olives. One or two?" Cindy walked over with a small crystal bowl.
"Uh... Three?" He suggested, earning a flirtatious look back. "I'm feeling adventurous." He shrugged.
Cindy released a cat-like growl, prompting Sam to do a rather pitiful one back.
"And now I'm feeling sick." Eden mumbled, turning around to face away from them.
"Oh, no! How awful. The bathroom is just down the hall to your left, should you need it, dear." Cindy placed a hand to her chest before completely shaking it off and walking out of the room to fetch more olives.
"Would you like one?" Sam asked Castiel, placing a hand on the edge of his shoulder.
"Your name is Sam Winchester." Castiel told him, clearly bored of the atmosphere. He gestured to Eden. "This is your fiancée."
"So... That's a no-no on the hooch?" Sam chuckled, lowering his hand.
"Sam, I don't know what's happened. I don't know if this is a spell or a curse or... What's happened, but you will snap the Hell out of it!" The Angel demanded.
The Winchester jumped at his words, gasping.
"Sir. You watch your mouth." He hissed, wagging an accusing finger at him. "If we cannot remain civil, then you can skedaddle."
"Sam..." Cas huffed.
"That's not my name!" Sam raised his voice, putting his arm around Castiel's shoulders to lead him towards the door with Eden in tow. "Cindy! Grab his hat!"
"I don't wear a hat!" Cas protested.
"Honey, I don't think he wore ahat!" Cindy called from the kitchen at the back of the house.
"Fine!" Sam threw over his shoulder, opening the front door. "Sir, using language like 'h-e-double hockey sticks'... You should have your mouth washed out with soap." He wagged his finger at the Angel again.
"Sam..." Cas huffed.
"It's Justin!" Sam spat, closing the door in their faces.
"Double hockey sticks?" Cas frowned, turning to leave.
"Bloody conservatives..." Eden mumbled, already half way down the red brick path.
"Wait, Eden!" He called, jogging after her. "What do we do?"
"We find out what's happened to Sam and we bloody well fix it. That's what." She huffed, opening the passenger side door.