Chapter Sixty-Seven - Styne

When Dean got back, he had company.
"'Liza! Sammy! Get out here!" He yelled from the War room, knowing the Vampire would hear him.
"Ugh. He's calling us..." Elizabeth groaned, curling into Sam's side in bed.
"Get your asses out here!" The older brother continued to call.
"Sounds like he's got someone with him. I can hear two sets of footsteps coming down the stairs. Could be important." The Vampire frowned.
"We should probably go see what's going on." Sam sighed, running his fingers along the dip of her spine.
Once dressed, they exited the bedroom and met Dean in the cell.
He was in the process of chaining up a blonde man... With a Styne crest on his wrist.
"We send you out for pizza and you come back with a meal for me too? How considerate of you, Dean." Elizabeth smirked as she leaned against the cell door with her arms folded.
"Hold your horses, Vampy Pants." The older brother replied before turning to the man. "Here's how this works. You're strong, I'll give you that, but you can bleed and hurt just like the next guy. So, I'm gunna ask questions and you're gunna give answers or its gunna get crazy real quick. I'm sure my incredibly sexy friend here worked up quite the appetite whilst I was gone, hey, 'Liza?"
"Positively starving, my darling." She winked to the chained man, who simply smiled.
"Well, I hope you got some time." He said. "I'm not the usual breed of cat."
"They're not either. And I'm not the usual breed of Vampire." Elizabeth retorted.
"Did you kill that girl in Omaha?" Dean asked.
"Yeah." Mr Styne smirked. There was a moment's silence where he looked down at Dean's arm before he spoke up again. "So, it's true. You have the Mark of Cain. My sympathies. That's why you wanted the book - to remove it."
"We wanted the book because that's where your power comes from." Sam told him. "See, our family business is putting guys like you out of business."
"Oh." The man breathed. "That's impressive. Let me tell you about my family business. You're in way over your heads. The family is vast - spread over the world. And that power that you mentioned? Doesn't come from the book. It comes from intelligence and will. The book facilitates. Stock market dive, recession, nine eleven, any of them ring a bell? Arab spring? Didn't even break a sweat."
"Okay." Sam nodded. "Why?"
"Well, you gotta be in it to win in, boys." The man chuckled. "And... The little lady, of course - my apologies. Don't let it be known that I was ungentlemanly. But, you see, chaos breeds fear. Fear breeds panic and panic breeds desperation and there's always profit to be made from desperation. You make a big enough mess, it has to get cleaned up. We've been in the fix-it business for a thousand years and business has never been better."
They were interrupted when Sam's phone buzzed in his pocket. It was a call from Castiel.
"Now, for the last eighty years, we haven't had the book. With the book, we're unstoppable." Mr Styne continued.
Sam cleared his throat and held up a finger before leaving the room with a small glance to Elizabeth.
"Sorry about that. You were saying." The Vampire give a sickeningly sweet smile.
"The girl you killed. Why take her eyes?" Dean asked.
"Now, that whole situation... Unfortunate." Mr Styne sighed. "We normally never leave a body when we harvest."
"Yeah, I've heard about this harvesting lark from you guys before..." Elizabeth frowned. "What exactly does that mean?"
"It's a family specialty." Mr Styne replied. "Bioengineering. Surgical enhancements. And I'm not talking about nose jobs."
He lifted up his button down shirt and vest, revealing a thick scar running down the length of his torso.
"See? Two hearts in here, bunch of extra muscles - especially in the legs. Every man in the family's had a little something. Pretty much what you'd expect though, given the family tree." He said.
"So you take the body parts and stitch them to yourself... Like some sort of Franken-" Elizabeth cut herself off when she made the connection. Her eyes widened and she gasped.
"Frankenstein. You've got it. You're a sharp little lady, aren't you? We changed our name to Styne out of necessity. You have chanced upon a lineage with a long and proud tradition. I hope you're ready for those consequences." Mr Styne smirked.
"Frankenstein's not real. They're made up." Dean chuckled.
"Yeah, of course." Mr Styne sighed. "And we never had a family acquaintance named Mary Shelley who spent a few nights in castle Frankenstein, stumbled upon our secrets and forced us to change our name and go underground."
"So why didn't Shelley go public?" Dean asked.
"She wrote a freakin' book, Dean. How public do you want?" Elizabeth narrowed her eyes.
"Took the words right out of my mouth, darlin'." Mr Styne smiled. "But no one believed it to be true, just like no one's gunna believe you."
"Well, as long as me, my brother and his girl believe... That's enough." Dean replied, taking a few steps towards him.
"Yeah, well, as mighty as I'm sure your little family is, mine is a juggernaut. We're not ordinary men, we're Spartans." Styne taunted.
Dean took out his blade, holding up to let it gleam in the bulb light.
"But you aren't immortal." He said, pointing the blade at Elizabeth. "She is."
"That Vampire thing we mentioned earlier? It wasn't just some fetish." The Vampire smirked, walking over to him. "Can I eat him yet? Has he run the course of his usefulness?"
"What we are is expendable." He said. "I go down, there's an army of replacements behind me."
"And where does this army call home, hm? Who's bad daddy Frankenstein?" Dean smiled.
"Did you hear when I mentioned that we're underground? They're our secrets."
"Well, I'm swell at uncovering secrets. And so is Elizabeth, here. And we're just killing to know what secrets you've got." Dean retorted, circling him.
"You give me the book and it's conceivable that we have a conversation." Mr Styne offered.
"The book." Dean stated, earning a hummed confirmation. "Dude, we don't have the book. The book was burned."
Elizabeth was beginning to get nervous.
"The book was protected by a spell. It's eternal. It cannot be destroyed." Styne replied.
Dean was facing away from the pair of them at this point. He stopped his aimless wandering around at the man's words. Elizabeth's eyes were fixed on him. It felt like a small age before he turned around, instantly looking to the Vampire.
"Excuse me." He eventually said, leaving the room.
"He didn't know that, did he?" Styne asked, seeing the look on Elizabeth's face. "But, you did... We'll find that book. We always do in the end. Then, we're gunna come for your boyfriend and his brother. And after that? We're gunna dismantle you - see what makes your pretty little immortal self tick and use it to grow."
"Not bloody likely." Elizabeth mumbled, walking out of the cell.