Chapter Twenty-Seven - Uncomfortable Conversations

"Okay, thanks. Bye." Sam hung up the phone with the hospital back at the cabin. "She's fine. She's checking out of the hospital tonight."
"Well, that's positive." Cas replied, walking over from the kitchen area with a sandwich for the boys.
"Tell me again why you turned tail for some maid? You were right there." Meg all but rolled her eyes, cupping her beer bottle close to her chest as she lent against the window frame.
"Shut up, Meg." Dean grumbled.
"Because Dick made more Dicks." Sam explained, earning a slightly judgy frown from everyone in the room. "He must've kept a chunk of the original Dick Roman somewhere. They'd all have to touch it." He curled his top lip up in mild disgust at the thought.
"Hey, shifty, what's your problem?" Dean asked Cas, watching him fumble around with anything and everything in the kitchen area.
"Do we need a cat? Doesn't this place feel one species short?" The Angel asked, wiping down a freshly washed frying pan.
"We have two Humans, an Angel, a Demon and a Vampire. How many species do you want?" Elizabeth asked, sighing as she walked through the front door.
She'd been sat in her car since they got back from the hospital, in silence with her forehead against the steering wheel.
The Winchester boys got a little uncomfortable at her presence, knowing the following situation was going to be tense if she carried on.
But she didn't, she simply grabbed a small beige canvas bag from beside the bed and walked back outside again.
"Well, that looked interesting. What happened last night?" Meg smirked, sipping her beer.
"Got anything to say on the topic of Dicks?" Dean asked the Angel, not wanting to go into the event of Elizabeth's outburst - no matter how justified. "Crowley was pretty sure that you could help."
"I can't." Cas snapped, very nearly interrupting his friend. "Help. You understand? I can't. I destroyed everything and I will destroy everything again. Can we please just leave it at that?"
Dean frowned.
"No." He said after a second's contemplation. He got up from his spot on the couch. "No, we can't."
"Dean..." Sam sighed.
"We can't leave it." The older brother continued. "You let these friggin' things in. So you don't get to make a sandwich, you don't get a damn cat. Nobody cares that you're broken, Cas! Clean up your mess!"
The room fell uncomfortably silent.
Castiel simply put down the plate he'd been drying, along with the towel.
"No," He started, walking a few paces towards Dean. "We should play Twister."
Dean frowned as his younger brother looked to him with a look of half disappointment, half confusion. And then Cas simply disappeared with a ruffle of feathers.
"Nice." Meg smirked. "You scared off the empire's only hope."
"Meaning?" Dean pressed, clearly vexed.
"Did it ever occur to you that every one of those things was in Cas? He knows them. He can see passed the meat suits." She continued.
Dean turned to Sam.
"So he'll be able to spot the real - fake - Dick Roman..." The younger brother concluded.
"Gold star, Sugar pants." Meg replied, sarcastically. "Too bad he's Froot Loops. You might've had a chance."
The sound of plastic on cardboard interrupted their thought process. The two brothers and the Demon looked over, seeing Castiel on the floor playing Twister by himself.

"Hey." Sam said, having walked outside to see Elizabeth working on her car.
"Hey." She replied, not even bothering to look up at him from the engine. "Did no one ever tell you that, when someone is mad at you, you have to wait for them to come to you and not the other way round?"
"Yeah, I got that. But I figured we could die tomorrow, so we might as well die on good terms with each other." The Winchester let out a small, nervous breathy chuckle as he slipped his fingers into the front pockets of his jeans.
Elizabeth stood upright, wiping her hands with an oil rag as she looked him over.
"I'm really not sure you realise how much you've pissed me off, Sam." She said.
Sam sighed heavily, wandering over to stand by the Camaro's left headlight.
"I'm really sorry, 'Liza. I just... Didn't want you to get hurt on your hunt because you were too busy thinking about Bobby." He told her, softly.
"I'm a Vampire, Sam. I heal fast. Me being a Vampire also means that I've had the life experience to know when to think about things and when to not. I've known Bobby since you were in middle school - saved his life more times than I care to think. I believe I've earned the right to know when he's come back as a ghost, no matter what I happen to be doing at the time." She snapped.
Sam sighed again, looking out to the trees as if they'd supply him with the right thing to say.
"I know. I messed up. I should've trusted your instincts. Please, please tell me how many times I have to say I'm sorry before you forgive me. I'll say it as many times as you need."
Elizabeth looked at him from under her eyelashes.
Honestly, she wanted nothing more than to say she forgave him right then and there. Being angry at Sam was weird and wrong, but she felt that way nonetheless.
She thought over her next sentence with the upmost consideration.
"You know how to tune?" She asked, gesturing to the engine with the spanner in her hand.
Sam was a little taken aback by the sudden change in topic, but gave a small shrug as a partial response.
"A little." He said.
Elizabeth threw him the spanner, resisting the urge to giggle when he barely caught it, his fingers having gotten caught up in the pockets at the unexpected movement. She moved out of the way, letting him take over, walking over to the trunk of the car to get one of her last remaining blood bags.
She watched on as he rolled up his shirt sleeves and got to work, only lasting a few seconds before he got oil on his face, having needed to brush some hair from his field of vision. Elizabeth sat on a nearby tree trunk, sipping at her blood bag as she watched him work. If he kept this up and the view was going to remain this good, it wouldn't be very difficult forgiving him.
Asking him to work on her car had been a stepping stone. Elizabeth had never been one for apologies, giving them or receiving, so asking Sam if he knew how to tune was Elizabeth's way of saying 'I haven't forgiven you yet, but this is a start'.
"Do you want a beer?" Elizabeth offered.
Sam turned his head to look at her from behind him, giving a simple nod.
Elizabeth got up, going into the cabin.
"You two sorted your crap out yet?" Dean asked.
Elizabeth scanned the room, spying Castiel contorted on the floor playing a solo game of Twister. She frowned at the sight, half wanting to offer to join in, but simply moved passed to go to the fridge.
"I'll sort my relationship crap out when you sort yours." She commented, gesturing with the hand the blood bag was in at the Angel spinning the spinner.
Dean all but rolled his eyes, turning back to Meg, who smirked and sipped her beer.
Elizabeth grabbed a bottle from the fridge and made her rather temporary exit.
"Here." She offered, holding out the beer bottle.
Sam smiled, taking it from her.
"I'm gunna go back inside. It looks like Pigeon could use a hand." She said. "You can stay out here and finish or whatever. I don't mind."
Sam nodded, giving a small smile of thanks for the beer.