Chapter Forty - Mistakes

"Well, let's start with an easy one." Dean began, sitting across from the Reaper as Elizabeth took her spot resting on the wall by the door. Hannah had also insisted on joining before they started. "Who are you working for?"
"Castiel." Tessa replied.
"Liar." Hannah hissed.
Tessa let out a small laugh.
"People like you... They never understand. Sacrifices have to be made."
"Sorry... New to the whole 'Reaper' thing. But aren't you supposed to just guide the souls onto the next joyous plain of existence rather than cause their reason for being there?" Elizabeth frowned.
"Everyone's gotta have a day job." Tessa shrugged.
"So, you go after one of the bad guys and if a few Humans get microwaved, no big deal, right?" Dean raised his brows.
"In the grand scheme, they don't matter." Tessa replied.
"Oh, Tessa, you are so wrong." Dean chuckled without an ounce of humour.
Tessa put on her best face as she placed her hands down on the table in front of her.
"When Castiel came to me and told me what I had to do, he said I was chosen because I was strong." Tessa deliberately made eye contact with Hannah. "Others? They couldn't handle this. They're too weak."
Hannah charged at the girl so fast, Elizabeth had to use her Vamp speed to hold her back before Dean's restraining arm gave out.
She grabbed the Angel by the shoulders, pulling her out of the way.
"Come on." The Vampire uttered, guiding her towards the door. "Don't go killing anybody. I'll be back in two minutes." She told Dean.
Once the door was closed, Elizabeth sighed, looking to the Angel.
"I'm sorry. She just... Got under my skin." Hannah huffed.
"I don't know why." Elizabeth scoffed. "Did that sound like Cas to you?"
Hannah thought for a moment, shaking her head.
"No, it didn't. Who did it sound like?" The Vampire continued.
"It... Sounded like Metatron... He's made a habit of manipulating people by bringing up strengths and weaknesses - making them feel special." The Angel replied after another moment's thought.
"Okay. So the likeliest scenario here is... Metatron is recruiting people under the guise of Castiel so that the Angels who haven't chosen a side yet will see the fake Cas' work and choose to side with Metatron instead." Elizabeth thought out loud.
"That... Makes sense." Hannah frowned.

Hannah had decided to go back to the main room to figure out some sort of plan, leaving Elizabeth to re-join the interrogation.
When she walked back in, both Tessa and Dean were standing.
"Where's your friend?" Tessa asked.
"Busy trying to find whoever told you he was Castiel." Elizabeth replied.
"What do you mean..?" The Reaper frowned.
"You've been duped, Tessa." The Vampire told her.
Tessa looked to Dean, who simply gave a look that said he knew at least a little about what Elizabeth was talking about, and shrugged.
"Here's the deal. I like you, Tess, okay? For an Angel. So, tell me why you're doing this." He said.
"Castiel." Tessa replied, simply.
"Na, forget Cas. Why are you doing this? What would make a person wanna pop their top? I mean, look, I've been in bad shape, I have. But I have never been that damn low." Dean told her.
Tessa looked down to the floor, clearly thinking about her answer.
"I guess I just can't take the screaming." She eventually said before walking away from him.
"Who's screaming?" Dean asked.
"All of them." Tessa huffed. "The lost souls, the ones that can't get into Heaven now that it's been boarded up. I hear them. They are so confused. They're in so much pain. All I wanna do is help them. It's what I do, it's my job. But, I can't. So, I suffer... Until death. Nothingness? Suddenly it didn't seem so bad. It seemed quiet."
"So why don't you just jam an Angel Blade in your throat and call it a day?" The Winchester asked.
"Dean..." Elizabeth scoffed from behind Tessa, rolling her eyes.
"It's a valid question." Tessa looked back to the Vampire before re-addressing the man. "I thought about it. But I was too weak. 'Til Castiel gave me a reason to die - or... Who I thought was Castiel."
"Yeah, see, I'm with Elizabeth on this one. That just doesn't sound like the Cas I know." Dean spoke softly.
"But doesn't it, though?" Tessa asked, narrowing her eyes. "And the Cas you know, would he raise an army of Angels without telling you? 'Cause this Cas did."
"It wasn't him, Tessa." Elizabeth growled.
"I'll tell you both a secret." The Reaper continued. "There's more out there - like me - so many more."
"You got any names?" Dean asked.
Tessa let out a breathy laugh.
"That would ruin all the fun."
"No... No, see," Dean started, pulling something out from under his jacket. When Elizabeth saw it was the First Blade, she gasped. "Fun's just getting started."
"Dean, don't you dare." Elizabeth snapped, moving over to them.
"Dean, what have you done?" Tessa frowned.
"What I had to." The Winchester replied.
Tessa smiled.
"Welcome to the club."
Dean didn't move, which made Elizabeth not move.
But Tessa did.
She grabbed Dean's shoulders and stabbed herself with the First Blade.
"No!" Elizabeth shouted, but it was too late.
"Thank you." Tessa breathed.
Dean's shocked face turned to one of duty as he plunged the Blade further into her, gripping her failing body tightly as light poured from every orifice. And then, she just dropped to the floor.
"What have you done?" Elizabeth gasped, staring at him with wide eyes. "We told you to leave that thing in the Bunker!"
Dean didn't say anything. He didn't need to as Hannah and a couple more Angels walked in.
Elizabeth was frozen in place. She didn't know what to do. She couldn't even turn around to face them.