Chapter Nineteen - Robert Singer

"Did I hear correctly when he said his nest was coming to do the clean-up?" Elizabeth frowned, leaning against the front bench seat in the Impala.
"Yeah, why?" Dean asked, looking back at her in the rear view mirror.
"Nothing... I just... Have a weird feeling." She sighed, slumping back on the upholstery.

A few weeks later, Elizabeth found her answer.
She was back in North Carolina on a Shifter case on her own. But she'd driven through Banner Elk to get home.
It was basically a ghost town. But she'd noticed someone in the window of a building, so decided to stop and check it out.
She pulled up and walked up the path of the house she'd seen movement in.
Knocking on the door had no effect, so she opted to kick it in.
With her gun held at arm's length in front of her, Elizabeth looked around. Straight in front of her, was a staircase. Either side of her were two separate rooms – a living room and a dining room.
The windows were mostly boarded up, but cracks allowed for some dim sunlight on that cloudy day.
"Anyone in here?" She called out.
With her enhanced hearing, she heard shuffling coming from upstairs.

There were four rooms upstairs; three bedrooms and a bathroom at the end of the hall to her left.
The second bedroom, one situated at the front of the house, was where she found the answer to her questions.
There sat a girl, probably about fifteen or sixteen, on a large double bed, looking terrified.
"Hey, it's okay. I'm here to help. My name is Elizabeth. What's your's?" Elizabeth held out her hands after holstering her gun.
She slowly approached the bed.
"I'm Willow." The girl replied. "Elizabeth Smythe?"
"Yes..." Elizabeth frowned. "You know me?"
"You're Alexander's favourite disappointment. Everyone here knows about you." The girl's demeanour entirely changed. At first she'd been like a child. But now she was like a typical sassy teenager.
"You know Alexander." Elizabeth stated.
"He sired me." Willow said. "He sired everyone here."
Elizabeth's expression turned hard.
"He what?" She hissed. "Take me to him. Now."

Alexander was, naturally, in the largest, grandest house in the town. Willow led Elizabeth up the porch steps, then fell behind as the older Vampire stalked passed her.
She pushed the large double front doors with all of her Vampiric strength, ripping the doors off their top hinges.
"Alexander!" She bellowed, standing in the middle of the foyer.
A few Vampires shuffled out of a room to Elizabeth's left, standing their ground.
Alexander soon followed with an unreadable expression.
"Elizabeth. How good to see you back so soon." His voice was overly calm and only irritated her.
"Yes. I was passing through after a case. I wasn't expecting to see anyone here." Elizabeth replied. "It appears this clean-up job you ordered has lasted a little longer than expected."
Alexander let out a small, breathy chuckle, looking down at his hands as his fingers interlaced.
"Yes, I suppose it has."
"What the Hell are you doing here, Alexander?" Elizabeth glared.
The elder Vampire took a few steps towards his spawn, moving to almost circle her like a vulture.
"Let's say... I needed somewhere to house my growing nest. What I told you about the previous occupants of this town was true; they were reckless and bound to oust our race whether they intended to or not. But I also needed a little somewhere to keep my family."
"So you used me to clear out your crap so that you could play house with the kids who aren't a disappointment." Elizabeth nodded.
Alexander sighed, waving his hand to the surrounding Vamps.
"Leave us." He said.
The Vampires needed no telling twice. They scarpered before Alexander had even finished the sentence.
"Don't want to look bad in front of your spawn? Or afraid I'll wipe out another one of your nests." Elizabeth asked, raising her eyebrow.
"Mostly the latter." Alexander replied, honestly. "I do not wish to argue with you, Elizabeth. I took advantage of a messy situation to provide for my nest."
"You took advantage of me." Elizabeth snapped. "I knew it from the beginning. I bloody knew you'd have some ulterior motive. You are unbelievable."
"Those Vampires were monsters. My nest is like you and I. We have a deal with the local and not-so-local blood banks and don't stray too far from home. What do you want from me, Flower?"
"Don't call me that." The Vampiress snapped. "We're done here. Contact me or the Winchesters again and I promise, I'll end your nest again... And you too."
She spun around towards the front door to make her exit, just as she got a phone call.
Elizabeth reached into the inside pocket of her leather trench coat, seeing the caller ID 'Impala 2'.
"Hey Sam. Sorry, I got delayed. I'll be home soon." She answered.
"Elizabeth..." She heard him sniff. "It's, uh... It's Bobby. We're at the hospital. I'll text you exactly where, you just need to come."
By now, she was half way to her car, but had stopped dead in her tracks at the sound of Sam's broken voice.
"What happened?" Elizabeth asked, her breathing turning frantic.
"He... He got shot. It's really bad, 'Liza." He sighed. "Hold on, there's a doctor."
He put the phone on speaker and held it in front of him.
"The bullet grazed his brain. I'm afraid all we can do is keep him comfortable for now." A male doctor's voice came.
"So there's nothing else we can do?" Sam asked.
"I'm sorry. We'll just have to wait and see if the swelling goes down." The doctor replied.
"How long?" Dean spoke up.
By now, Elizabeth was in her car with her phone on speaker in her lap.
"It's hard to say in cases like this."
"Well, he's lasted this long. That's something, right?" Dean was rapidly growing impatient.
"Well, yes. Listen... The bullet didn't shatter. Only one hemisphere of his brain was injured. These are all positive things. But I don't want to give you false hope, here. He's far from out of the woods. Most of the time, in cases like these..."
"They die." Sam finished for him.
The doctor sighed heavily.
"Right now, it comes down to him. I'll keep you updated."
With that, the doctor walked off.
"I'll be as quick as I can, boys. Just try and keep him breathing until I get there." Elizabeth said, hanging up the phone.