Chapter Thirteen - Promises

Whilst the boys were on Eve duty, Elizabeth had separated from them again on the condition that, if they needed help, they were welcome to call on her. After all, there were still plenty of other creatures out there whilst the Winchesters were occupied.
It wasn't long before that call came through.
Elizabeth was half way through interrogating a Demon when it happened.
"Excuse me a second." She told him as she pulled her phone from the back pocket of her black skinny jeans. "Hunters are us. They shake 'em, we salt 'em. Elizabeth speaking."
"If this wasn't an emergency, I'd be laughing my ass off right now." Dean sighed.
"What's wrong?" Elizabeth frowned, running her fingers through her long, red wine hair.
"It's Sam. The wall Death put up in his head to stop him remembering the Cage is down. I need you to come to Bobby's." The older brother sounded panicked.
Elizabeth was already grabbing her car keys as soon as he said Sam's name.
"You just gunna leave me here?" The Demon asked.
"Pretty much. So get comfy." She replied before going back to her call. "I'm on my way."

As soon as she got out of the car, Elizabeth Vamp sped into the house.
"Dean?!" She called out.
"Down here!" The older brother yelled from the basement.
Elizabeth ran downstairs, stopping at the huge iron door of Bobby's panic room, in which Sam was laying on a cot.
"What happened?" She asked, turning to Dean and Bobby.
"Cas betrayed us. He's been working with Crowley to get the gates to Purgatory open." Dean told her.
"That backstabbing little cretin." Elizabeth growled, staring at Sam's unconscious body as her fists tightened in fury.
"He had some sort of seizure on your way here. There must be one Hell of a battle going on inside that melon of his." Bobby sighed, leaning on the door frame.
"Is this thing Vampire proof yet?" Elizabeth asked him, gesturing to the panic room.
Bobby shook his head.
"Keep getting busy." He shrugged. "Go ahead."
Elizabeth nodded, stepping into the room.
She knelt down on the floor beside Sam, taking his hand.
Giving Dean and Bobby a look, they shuffled back up the stairs.
Elizabeth sighed, gazing down at the younger Winchester.
"Hey Sam... It's me. I've got to be honest; you've officially scared the crap out of me. I don't think my car's done that amount of mileage that quickly in a long while." She let out a small chuckle. "Dare I say that... Everytime I leave you, it really bloody hurts? I'm constantly worried about you. A part of me knows you'll be alright. But actually having a reason to worry, like right now, it's excruciating. I just want to dive headfirst into your mind and save you from whatever Hell you've got going in there right now." She sighed, looking away from him to think her words over before continuing. "I think... I think Samuel was right. We have this connection, you and I. Even when you didn't have your soul, I just felt compelled to stay, no matter how much you pissed me off – that I needed to be there for you. I tried to convince myself I was doing it for Dean or because of the promise I made to your father. But it wasn't. It really wasn't. I never should've left you after eighteen sixty-one. I think I'm going to learn from that. I'll never leave you again, Sam. So long as you want me there, I promise I won't leave. Just... Please... Get better."
Elizabeth lifted herself to her feet and leaned in, placing a gentle kiss on Sam's cheek before going back upstairs.
"You good?" Dean asked, walking over as she closed the basement door.
"Me? I'm fantastic." She scoffed. "If you'll excuse me a moment."
Dean and Bobby watched as she vacated the house.
After a few crashes and the sound of various metal items making violent contact, the two men glanced at each other.
"So long as she's not beatin' on my useable spare parts, she can do what she likes." Bobby shrugged, wandering off into the kitchen.

A few hours later, Elizabeth found herself back at Sam's side with his limp hand in hers. She was gently singing Good Riddance by Green Day, recalling Sam saying that he was a fan. Dean sat in a chair behind her, nursing a glass of whiskey as he half-listened in.
"Look what the cat dragged in." Bobby's voice came from outside the panic room.
Elizabeth stood up from her spot on the floor, inspecting the Angel behind Bobby, silently judging the celestial dressed as though he were a washed up music producer, as usual.
"Balthazar?" She scowled. "What the Hell are you doing here?"
"Nice to see you too, Lizzie." The Angel nodded a greeting, his signature smug smirk decorating his lips.
"He's help." Dean told her.
"Oh, I wouldn't go that far." Balthazar chuckled as he looked around the panic room at all the sigils. "Well, at least you monkfish finally got the Angel-proofing right. How's sleeping beauty? You didn't steal any kisses, I trust."
"Always nice to be reminded that there's an Angel with a smaller stick up his arse for a change." Elizabeth commented.
"The Hell took you so long?" Dean growled, walking up to the new edition, who was walking away from him.
"Honestly?" Balthazar turned around to face him. "I was having second thoughts."
"About?" Dean scoffed.
"About whether to help you. I was thinking; maybe... Maybe I should rip out your sticky bits instead." The Angel gave a small smirk.
"And what did you decide?" Bobby asked.
Balthazar looked between the three and sighed.
"Well..." He said, reaching into his pocket for something. He pulled out a slip of paper and handed it to Dean. "Cas and Crowley are there. That's where the show gets started."
"Can someone actually explain to me what he's doing? Kinda been out of the picture." Elizabeth frowned.
"Cas and Crowley are opening the gates to Purgatory." Dean replied, looking at the slip of paper.
Elizabeth gave a nod, peeking over Dean's shoulder at the paper.
'221 Piermont Ave. Bootback, Kansas.'
"Alright, well give us a minute to pack up and then zap us there." Dean instructed.
"Oh no, no, no, no, no. I don't think so." Balthazar chuckled.
"Balthazar!" Dean gave a warning growl.
"I'm betraying a friend here." The Angel protested, his gaze darting between the three before him. "A very powerful friend. We all are. So, I think I've stuck my neck out far enough already. Good luck."
Before anything else could be said, Balthazar disappeared.
"Great. Two Humans and a Vampire taking on an Angel and the King of Hell with nothing but our good looks. Sounds like a great plan to me." Elizabeth rolled her eyes, stepping back into the panic room. "If we've all got a death wish."
"We'll find a way." Bobby told her. "We always do."
Elizabeth sighed deeply as she sat back down on the floor next to Sam's cot.
"I'm glad he's not awake for this. At least here, battling it out in his head, he's not out here with us about to get slaughtered." She mumbled, resting the right side of her face on his forearm.