Chapter Thirty-Eight - Abaddon

Crowley had instructed them to go to him in Cleveland, Ohio, in the penthouse suite of a hotel in the centre of the city.
Except he'd used the boy's safe-word for 'drop everything and run'.
Dean knew that they were heading into a trap - Elizabeth knew what Poughkeepsie meant from a hunt they'd done a few years back... But for some reason, the older brother wasn't letting Sam in on it.
They shared a glance through the rear-view mirror - confirming to Dean that she had overheard and knew what was going on.

They pulled up outside the hotel a few hours after the sun had risen. Elizabeth leaned on the bench seat from the back, glancing to Dean with mild suspicion. It was clear he was up to something.
They got out of the car, eyeing up the hotel across the street.
Elizabeth went to the trunk to fill up her gun with Demon trap bullets.
"Alright." Sam sighed. "Let's do this."
"Wait, wait, wait. Hold on a sec." Dean stopped him. "We should give this place a once-over before we go up there."
"Okay. Why?" Sam frowned as the Vampire shut the trunk.
"Yeah, Dean." Elizabeth cocked an eyebrow, crossing her arms as she put her weight on one foot. "Why?"
Dean gave her a look that silently said 'shut up'.
"Crowley said he thought he saw some Demons headed down to the basement." He told his brother. "He'd have checked it out himself, but if word had got back to Abaddon that he'd been seen..." He trailed off.
"When did he say all this?" Sam asked.
"On the phone. Look, it might mean that she knows that he's here, okay?" Dean replied. "So why don't you check out the basement. Elizabeth can check out the lobby and I'll take a look on the main floor."
"Sounds like a plan to me." Elizabeth shrugged as Dean grabbed the First Blade from his brother and walked off.

"Elizabeth." Dean hissed when they were inside. He watched Sam head to the basement before speaking again. "You're coming with me, come on."
He grabbed her arm and headed towards the elevator.
"Why?" She frowned.
"Because if crap goes sideways, I need you on my six." Dean replied as the elevator pinged open.
"Look," Elizabeth chuckled without a speck of humour. "I get why you hid the whole Poughkeepsie thing from Sam, for the record. What I don't understand is how Crowley knows it."
"During Sam's three trials," Dean started with a sigh. "He was hurt... Bad. So I made a deal with an Angel to possess him and heal him. That Angel turned out to be Gadreel - the Angel who guarded the Garden of Eden. He went all high and mighty on his own mission and, to stop him, Crowley had to go into Sam's head to tell Sam to shove Gadreel out. To let him know that what Crowley was saying was true, I told him to use our safe word."
Elizabeth nodded in understanding.
"You boys really did get busy while I was away."

When they got up the penthouse, they found the door ajar.
Dean frowned to the Vampire, who shrugged, before he pushed it open.
"Hello, Dean." Crowley said, splayed out on a couch on the opposite side of the suite. "Love the crazy bloodlust in your eyes. Hello, little Bat. Good to see you again."
The pair moved carefully towards the King of Hell, seeing he'd been injured.
Dean tapped his left shoulder with the tip of the First Blade.
"Let's not waste time." Crowley pressed. "I'll take you to Abaddon. It's not far."
A creaking of floorboards stole their attention from him. Dean swung the blade as a Demon came at him. The Demon lost balance as he missed the Winchester, now accidentally headed for Elizabeth, who put the nose of her gun under his chin and shot a Demon trap bullet straight through his head, paralysing him for later.
A force took Dean from his feet, flying him across the room into a painting on the right side of Crowley.
"A boy and his blade." A feminine voice came from behind the Vampire, who spun around. She aimed her gun at the woman, but lost it as Abaddon threw it across the room with her power. The Knight of Hell frowned. "That was supposed to do a lot more than that..."
"Try again, I'm all yours." Elizabeth sneered, holding out her arms.
Abaddon went to throw her across the room again, but nothing happened. Everyone in the room was more confused than they'd ever been.
"That's new..." She uttered. "What are you?"
"Back-up." Elizabeth smirked, going to charge at the woman.
But Abaddon had other ideas. She put out her hand towards Dean, who began to choke.
"I wouldn't do that if I were you." She said, stopping the Vampire in her tracks, re-addressing the Winchester. "You see? You're still no match for the new Queen. So, first... You'll die. Painfully. And then Crowley will watch his son die. Then the King, himself. And as for this new toy, I'll have to figure out what to do with you later. After I've destroyed the Blade."
Elizabeth sneered in her spot, bearing her fangs. Abaddon's eyes glistened with fascination.
"That's quite a to-do list." The Knight of Hell continued, her curious gaze still on the Vampire.
Dean used every ounce of his strength to beat the power holding him in place. The Mark of Cain glowed so bright, it could be seen through his clothes. It grabbed the attention of Abaddon, who used her power again to keep him there, but it wasn't working. Her smug, triumphant smile was lost as Dean's feet touched the floor again.
Abaddon was using so much power, things began to fly around the room.
It was like Dean was walking through a wind tunnel as he powered on towards the Knight of Hell.
But one more flick of her wrist sent Dean flying back to the painting, except this time, the First Blade fell out of his hand.
Abaddon laughed.
Dean stared the blade down, willing it to move with everything he had.
Elizabeth took a single step forward, to distract Abaddon's gaze long enough for Dean to focus.
It was enough.
The Blade flew into Dean's hand as if by magic. He planted his feet back on the floor with a grunt of effort.
Abaddon frowned just as Sam came through the door.
Dean stormed up to Abaddon, plunging the First Blade straight into her stomach. She gasped out in pain, screaming as light burned her from the inside out.
Dean took the Blade out, dropping the woman's body to the floor. But he wasn't done. He fell to his knees and began stabbing the corpse over and over.
"Dean!" Sam called out, but there was nothing. The older brother was seeing far more than red. "Dean, stop!"
Elizabeth approached him from behind, grabbing him and pulling him off Abaddon.
"Dean, stop. It's okay. She's dead. You did it." She whispered in his ear.
He looked up at his brother with wide eyes.
He then looked down again at what he'd done, tapping Elizabeth's hand to release him as he dropped the Blade.