The Train to Hogwarts

I gaze up at the train in awe and feel Dad tap my shoulder suddenly.
"It's cool isn't it".
"It's beautiful" I say dreamily.
"Do you have everything?", Mum chimes in with a hint of worry in her voice.
"For the hundredth time Mum I have everything"
"And you will write dear won't you?".
Dad furrows his brow, "And you thought I was the one worrying".
"Shush Nicolas" she laughs and Dad kneels down a bit to talk to me.
"Now listen (Y/N). Me and your mother are so proud of you"
"I know Dad".
"You will be good won't you" he says in a stern voice.
"I'll try", I say hoping to receive a laugh but Dads face stays completely still.
"Promise me you will stay out of trouble. And be careful who you trust. Okay?".
He seems very serious which concerns me. I'm not used to seeing Dad this way unless he truly has a point he wants to get across.
"I promise" i whisper.
His face softens and I collapse into him hugging him tightly. It has just hit me I won't see them until Christmas.  Mum joins the hug and I feel myself getting a bit worried. I shake it off and release myself from the hug.
"Be good Darling. We love you"
I start to walk away.
"Have fun kiddo!" I hear Dad say. They wave as I make my way onto the train.

The train is warm and at first glance seems cosy but then I realise I have to find somewhere to sit. It's bustling with people and filled with different voices, high and low.
I catch a glimpse of red hair and look in to see Ron and Harry sitting across from each other, Ron waving a spell that doesn't seem to be working.
"Hey guys" I say opening up the carriage doors.
"Oh (Y/N)! Come sit".
I sigh with relief.
"You okay?" Asks Harry.
"Yes I'm fine. It's a busy train" .
"It's brilliant isn't it" Harry smiles cheerfully.
"Ron's just been telling me all about the legend of my scar. Go on Ron tell her".
He looks at me and put down his wand.
"Okay well basically. Fourteen years ago there was a very dark wizard named. Uh. Well I- Harry would you mind".
"Voldemort", Harry says with ease.
Ron flinches ever so slightly. I've heard that name before but never learned it's origins.
"Yes well most people don't like to say his name so we call him he who must not be named. He wanted to abolish all muggles and muggle borns. He thought purebloods were better then them all. So he went around killing them off and anyone who sympathised with them too. It was quiet a scary time really. That's why people don't dare speak his name. Except death eaters of course".
"Death eaters?" I say confused.
"His followers. He recruited them from all over the world. Most of them are in Azkaban now, you probably know what that is (Y/N), but for you Harry, it's basically wizarding prison. Anyways when Harry was a baby he who must not be named killed his parents and attempted to kill Harry too but it sort of rebounded and hit him instead. Harry survived but still has this wicked scar."
He glances at Harry quickly. "I mean awful but sort of brilliant".
"Harry's sort of famous now because of it. He's the only known wizard to have ever survived he who must not be named's killing curse".
"Wow" I say taking in all the new information.
"I'm sorry Harry" I mutter. That sounds like an awful lot for someone my age to have gone through already, regardless of how brilliant Ron thinks it is.
"It's fine", he looks down.
"At least he's gone now right?", questions Harry.
"Ah yes well, some people still believe he's out there somewhere but if he is, he's weak.", Ron says fumbling around in his pockets for money.
"Ron. What house was Voldemort in?".
He flinches again and Harry stares at me noticing I said his full name also.
"He was in Slytherin. Bloody awful house. Full of dark witches and wizards it's no wonder he turned out the way he did".
I blush and Ron looks suddenly quite flustered.
"My parents were in Slytherin" I say quietly. Harry gazes at me.
"Oh well it's...It's not a bad house. It just has a bad history. Um".
Ron looks at Harry for help.
"It doesn't matter what house you're in (Y/N) we'll still be here no matter what", Harry murmurs softly and suddenly I am at ease. Harry and Ron don't mind what house I'm in. And who knows. Maybe I'll be put into one of the other houses? Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw? I don't care as long as I have some friends to talk to.
"Yeah exactly. You seem lovely anyways I highly doubt you'll be in Slytherin", Ron joins in and Harry shoots him a piercing look.
"Not that that makes any difference of course", he shuffles in his seat.

We sit for a while talking and laughing and eating far too many sweets and pastries off the trolley lady. It turns out Harry has a lot of money so he decided to buy one of everything much to Ron's delight.
"Bloody hell! I've never had this much food before. Well good food", he side glances at his corned beed sandwiches and I cant help but laugh.
We talk for a while when suddenly a bushy brown haired girl with big brown eyes opens the door and interrupts.
"Excuse me. Have any of you seen a toad? A boy named Neville lost one".
"No I don't think so, I'm (Y/N) by the way".
She smiles at me with two big front teeth and shakes my hand. "I'm Hermione Granger. And you are?", she turns to Ron in disgust, who's trying to cast a spell to turn his rat yellow.
"Uh Ron Weasley".
"Pleasure" she says unamused.
"My goodness. You're Harry Potter" she spots Harry in the corner and looks at him with shock.
"Yes.", he lifts his hair up to showcase the scar on his forehead.
"Wow. Nice to meet you", she turns her attention back to Ron.
"Are you trying to do magic? Well go on then let's see".
Ron looks caught off guard.
"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!".
A flash of light flies out of Ron's wand and hits his rat Scabbers causing him to jump. He doesn't change colour at all but he quickly runs into an empty Bertie Botts every flavour beans carton and stays there.
Hermione rolls her eyes and smirks. "Well it's not very good is it. Anyways I'd better be off. Oh and I recommend you get changed into your dress robes soon. We won't be long". She smiles widely at me and Harry. "Nice meeting you all", She says and she walks out, closing the carriage door behind her firmly.

"Bloody hell. She's mental that one", Ron says causing Harry to laugh.
"I think she seems nice", I say in defence.
"Mm yeah very nice", Ron mimics Hermione and Harry laughs.

Nevertheless we take Hermoines advice and get changed into our dress robes. I can almost see the school from the window now. Ron and Harry have their faces pressed up against the window trying to catch a glimpse. I sit back and enjoy my last few moments before I have to sink back into reality.  The Hogwarts train is like a portal between reality and fantasy. It's really quite magical. Maybe my first taste of magic so far.  I sink back into my seat and allow myself to drift off into a dreamy sleep.