The Dance

It's been about a month since the incident on the night of the party. I've tried my best to heal as quickly as i can but it's hard when i have no time to actually do the healing. Cedric was distraught when he found out. He blamed himself for not being there and hasn't drank since. The second Triwizard task was pretty smooth sailing. The task was to retrieve something or rather someone valuable from the bottom of the lake. I was chosen for Cedric, Ron for Harry and Hermione was chosen for Viktor who has been cosying up to her for a while now. Fleurs little sister was also chosen for her.

I'm not sure if things will ever go back to normal for me but i'm trying. Draco snuck me into the room of requirement the first few nights after it happened so he could protect me while i slept. We started off sleeping in separate beds but i found i needed physical comfort to feel safe so gradually he allowed himself to sleep next to me. I still haven't told Cedric about this because i know it would just make him feel insecure that i didn't ask him to sleep with me instead. I completely understand why and to be honest i do feel guilty about it sometimes. I just don't understand why i feel more safe with Draco. It's probably because he's my best friend. I don't know. I try not to overthink it.

At breakfast i sit down across from Cedric. We usually have breakfast together most mornings.
"You okay love?", He asks.
I smile as convincingly as i can, "Of course".
"You seem distant this morning", He says.
"I'm just really tired", I sigh.
"The nightmares again?", He asks, concerned.
For a while after it happened, I had really bad flashback nightmares. I know he only asks out of love but it really pisses my off when he does.
I hate being babied.
"I told you I haven't got them for a while", I say.
He notices my change in tone, "I'm sorry. I just worry".
Once again i end up feeling bad.
"No, I'm sorry. I don't know what's up with me", I say.
"How about we change the topic.", He grins.
I smile. A real smile this time.
"Perfect", I grin.
"So the third task is coming up. I really think i have a good chance of winning".
"I think so too. The last task will probbaly be the most dangerous though so promise me you'll be-", i start.
"Safe, yes i know", He laughs and kisses me on the forehead.
"I better get going", I say.
"Have a good day darling", He says and he leans in to kiss me.

"Is this a bloody joke?", Ron whispers.
Professor Mcgonagall has just announced the news that there is going to be a traditional Yule Ball on Christmas day to celebrate the Triwizard tournament.  Most of the girls seem excited about this news but the boys, not so much.
"Maybe we can get out of it somehow?", Harry whispers back.
"You're the bloody champion mate there's no way you're getting out of it", Fred laughs.
"Just fake sick", George suggests.
"George, Do you really think McGonagall wouldn't know if someone was faking sick?", I ask.
He rolls his eyes.
"And we have to find dates? This is bloody prostitution if you ask me", Ron exclaims.
"Ah", Mcgnonagall catches Ron chattering.
"Mr Weasley. You can't help me demonstrate", She smiles evilly as Filch puts on the music.
Ron looks at her his eyes wide.
"Me?", He says.
"Yes you. Hurry on we don't have all day", She orders.
Fred and George immediately start chuckling in the back.
"Go on Ron!", Harry shouts.
I look at Draco who seems to be enjoying this way too much.
He catches my eyes and laughs.
Professor Mcgonagall stands close to him and instructs him on what to do next.
"Now, Put your hand on my waist", She says.
"Your what?", Ron says in awe.
She takes his hands and places them firmly on her waist.
"My waist", She affirms.
"Oh my", Fred whispers.
Now everyone is trying to suppress laughter.
Ron and Mcgonagall sway there for what seems like a painfully long time before she instructs others to join in.
Surprisingly, Neville Longbottom is first to join. Fred and George begin to dance with each other jokingly and soon everyone is attempting to follow Ron and McGonagalls steps.
Blaise comes out of nowhere and grabs my hand pulling me around the hall, laughing.
"For fuck sake", I laugh.
"You are a terrible dancer", Blaise laughs.
"You can't talk", I grin.
I look at Draco who is sitting in the corner on his own, watching us and smiling.
"May i have this dance", I say in a posh voice, holding out my hand for him to take.
"Fuck my life", He sighs but he takes my hand and we sway around in a threesome with Blaise.
"How the fuck is it possible for all three of us to be bad at this?", Draco asks.
"Speak for yourself", I say.
"Right that's enough", Mcgonagall says finally releasing Ron who seems like he's been holding his breath in for hours.
He cowers sheepishly away and the boys slap him on the back and whistle at him.
"Piss off", He mutters.
"You should all be practicing your dancing from now until Christmas day. I saw some quite horrific attempts", Her eyes dart to Fred and George.
"You should also be thinking about who you're going to take with you to the Ball. Especially our two Triwizard champions as you will be dancing first", She looks at Cedric and Harry.
"That is all", She says.
Harry looks distraught.
Cedric grins in my direction. I immediately get butterflies.

Later on that day, i walk to dinner with Blaise and Draco.
"I might ask Luna", Blaise says.
"Really?", Says Draco.
"She's hot", Blaise shrugs.
"I thought you were gonna say something more romantic than that", I sigh.
"I suppose you'll be bringing Cedric?", Blaise asks.
"He hasn't asked yet", I say.
Draco laughs, "Does he have to?".
"Of course. Just because we're together doesn't mean he can stop putting in effort.", I respond.
"Mhm", Draco says.
"Who you taking mate?", Blaise asks Draco.
Draco looks at me for a second, thinking.
"There's no one i want to take", He says.
I look at him trying to read his thoughts.
"Doesn't matter. Just take who you thinks fittest", Blaise says.
"Charming", I roll my eyes.
"I thought you'd be taking Pansy", I say.
"What?", He laughs. "Absolutely not, you do know she used a love potion on me".
"What?", I say in shock.
"Yep. She's insane.", He says.
"That's another level of fucked up", Blaise says.
Draco shrugs, "Ill probably end up taking her just so i don't have to go alone. I know who i would take but-", he stops.
"But?", I ask.
"Plans change", He smiles sadly.
"I'm going to go ask Luna before someone else does", Blaise says running off.
Now it's just me and Draco.
"Who did you want to take?", I ask.
"Now that would be telling", He teases.
"I'm your best friend. You have to tell me", I say.
"Blaise is my best friend", He jokes.
I shove him.
"I hate you", I say.
"You don't", He laughs.
"True".
"I'd tell you but...", He starts but is interrupted.
"(Y/N)!", Cedric shouts cheerfully.
I glance at Draco.
"See? It just isn't meant to be", He smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes.
He turns away and leaves me and Cedric standing there.
"What was that about?", He asks.
"Nothing", I lean up to kiss him.