Change

At breakfast I sit with the trio.
"Does anyone know how the fuck to start this essay?", Ron says, a grubby piece of parchment placed in front of him, a quill and a bottle of questionable ink at his side as he attempts to eat breakfast and write at the same time.
"Why are you doing it now? Potions is next class.", I say.
"Great question...I uh, I was busy last night", He says aggressively sipping pumpkin juice.
Hermione coughs awkwardly, "Give it here, i'll do it", She says.
Harry raises a brow so that his eye is just about visible over the new edition of the daily prophet he's reading, "What's this? You two getting along for once?", He says mockingly.
"Very funny. Ronald and I always get along", She grins mischievously.
"If you keep calling me Ronald we won't", He complains.
She shoves him in retaliation but nevertheless begins to write. Ron and Hermione's relationship never ceases to confuse me.
I turn towards Harry as Ron and Hermione chat away about the essay, Ron trying to explain to her that using the word "inspissating", will instantly be an indication to Snape that he got someone else to write it.
"Any good?", I say.
He chucks the newspaper down on the table. "Absolute rubbish, they're still going on about me and Dumbledore being insane except now they're trying to pin everything on "notorious death eater and murderer Sirius Black". ", He sighs.
Something inside me aches at the thought of Sirius. We left on sort of bad terms and haven't spoken since.
"How can they be so fucking stupid", I say, grabbing the newspaper and tearing it up.
"Should've done that a while ago. I'm gonna stop buying it", He says.
"Good idea...Hey harry?", I say.
"Mhm?".
"Have you been in touch with Sirius recently", I ask.
"Not recently but soon.", He smiles kindly, "i'll update you. He's probably worried sick about you again".
His hand lays flat next to mine on the table. It twitches slightly and by some force of nature my hand begins to move slowly, until they're nearly touching.
He looks at me, curiosity in his eyes.
"(Y/N) are you okay? After everything that's happened to you...", He says suddenly.
I laugh at the irony of this situation.
"I could ask you the same thing".
His hand is just about touching mine now, neither of
us acknowledging it anymore.
"I mean, we do share a lot of traumatic experiences together but that doesn't mean i don't worry", He grins.
"Ill be okay Harry", I smile, feeling my heart grow warm. He's always had such a loving personality despite everything that's happened to him.
"Me too", He responds and suddenly we snap out of our trance as Hermione gets up from the dining room table.
"Come on guys", She grins at me knowingly.
"Thanks for this Mione, you are bloody brilliant, you know.", Ron gushes.
She blushes and grabs my hand unexpectedly.
"What's wrong?", I ask.
"Nothing", She says giggling.
Harry and Ron walk ahead.
"Then why did you kidnap me?".
"The WAY Harry was looking at you. Is there something going on?", She asks.
"What??? Absolutely not!", I say, louder then expected.
"I'm not stupid (Y/N)".
"Neither am i! What's going on between you and Ron then?", I ask.
"Nothing...", She says guiltily.
"I'll find out", I say as we walk to potions.
"I'll find out first", She says.
"Good luck. There's nothing TO find out", I roll my eyes as i enter the classroom.
Draco and Blaise have saved a seat for me at the very back.
"See you at lunch", I say to Mione as i walk to my seat.

I sit between the boys. "Good morning", I smile.
"Morning", Blaise mumbles in a sleepy voice.
"Tired?".
"Very".
"Um...Is Draco alright?", I laugh. His head is on the desk, his blonde hair spilling over his arms as he uses them as pillows.
"Seems to have drifted off", Blaise grins and pokes the back of his head with his wand.
"OW", Draco screams as he wakes up almost falling off his chair.
"The fuck was that for!", he shouts as he punches Blaise in the arm.
"You were the one sleeping not me!", Blaise argues.
"Oh hello (Y/N)", He says as he realizes i've been watching the whole thing.
"Nice nap?", I ask.
"Lovely", He replies.
I open my mouth to respond but Snape walks in.
Everyone instantly turns into their seats and the class begins.

After my classes that day i go to the library. No one seems to be around so i go on my own.
When i walk in, i see Crabbe and Goyle.
A shiver rolls down my spine. I contemplate turning around and running but i realize how weird that would look to everyone. Anyways, I don't want to give them the power so i walk slowly to the seat that's the furthest away from them. I avoid eye contact and attempt to study but i can't relax knowing they're there. I grab my books and make my exit.
I feel shaky and weak so i look down at my shoes to make sure i'm actually walking in a straight line. During that split second, i bump into someone. I look up to see Draco. Merlin, that could've been a lot worse. He's wearing grey sweatpants and a black jumper, his rings, as always on his fingers and a chain around his neck. He looks tired, but good in a way.
"Merlin. You gave me a fright", I say.
"You alright?", He says placing his hand on my arm,
noticing my shaking that i wasn't even aware of until now as i look at his hand on my shoulder, stabilized under his touch.
He looks behind me and his face turns sour.
"I was just leaving", I say, quietly.
"You don't have to. I'll stay with you if you want. They won't even look at you if i'm here i promise", He says softly.
I look around, not knowing what to do.
"Or we could go somewhere else?", He says, recognizing the anxiety on my face.
"Can we?", I ask.
"Of course", He smiles gently.
"I feel a bit weak", I say as we walk.
"Do you need anything?", He asks, concerned.
"I'm fine", I assure him but i feel myself wilting slightly.
"Here", Hs says, interlocking our arms.
"This should do the trick".
I feel safe holding onto his arm, like no one can hurt me.
"Thanks Draco. You're the best", I say.
He smiles and it reaches his tired eyes. I swear he glows under the evening candlelight in the corridor.
"That's what friends are for", He says, averting his gaze away from me as if he can't bear to look at me any longer. God do i really look that bad? I make a mental note to brush my hair as soon as i get to my dorm room tonight.
Something about the word "friend", stings and i don't know why so i push it away and continue chatting with Draco like i always do.
I can't tell what's happening with anyone or anything at the moment. People are snogging all over the place, falling in love, the only good family i have left hates me, the war is not far away...but i know something is happening inside me, something weird and foreign and i'm not sure if i like it...