Fifth Year

Another beginning. The 1st of September wasted no time in arriving and here we all are sitting at the breakfast table in the burrow, placing bets on who hooked up over the summer. Somehow the subject has moved onto teachers.
"I just know Snape and Minerva have got something going on", Fred says jokingly.
"Are you serious?", Hermione asks.
"Completely.", Fred replies.
"Have you seen them? Eye fucking each other at breakfast every morning?", George laughs.
"You disgust me", I laugh.
"I cannot believe i've spent most of my Summer with that gremlin", Harry says, disgusted.
"He is quite the specimen", Ron says.
"The way he goes all red anytime Sirius calls him Snivellus", I say
"Oh stop. The little vein is his forehead", Harry laughs.
Hermione sighs as she eats her cereal.
"Have some respect. He is our teacher after all", She says.
There's a silence and then a burst of laughter. Hermione just rolls her eyes and continues eating.
"How's Krum then?", Ron asks.
Hermione immediately goes scarlet.
"I wouldn't know", She says coarsely.
"What?", I ask.
"We haven't talked in quite a while", She says.
"I'm sorry to hear that", Harry says.
"It's fine. It was my own choice. He's not really my type anyways", She says.
"You weren't saying that when you were snogging the face off him at the yule ball", Ron snorts.
"Ronald.", She says about to retaliate but Mrs. Weasley walks in.
"Right! Ready for off then?", She almost shouts.
"I haven't even finished my toast!", George complains.
"No time for toast! I packed you a lovely lunch for the train.", She exclaims.
"Oh. Great", George smiles but turns to the rest of us and grimaces.
We gather our stuff and the routine starts again. Floo powder then kings cross and finally Hogwarts.

I swear the train gets busier and busier each year.
We push our way through groups of first years and annoying second years. "Dickhead", I hear Ron mutter as one of them knocks him to the side.
Fred and George leave to go and join their friends.
"See you soon", I grin.
"Cheerio", Fred says in a posh accent.
"Until next time", George says dramatically.
"Pricks", Ron mumbles.
We tumble into a carriage just before a group of second years come storming down the hallway.
"Finally", Harry sighs.
"That was traumatic", I say leaning back.
Hermione immediately reaches for her trunk, pulling a thick book out.
"Already?", Ron says in shock.
"Shush Ronald", She says with a slight grin.
"So how's everyone feeling about fifth year then?", Harry asks.
"Terrible", Says Ron.
"I'm already tired", I yawn.
"Great", Says Hermione.
"What about you?", I ask.
"I'm just hoping not to get murdered by Lord Voldemort this year", Harry says darkly.
We look at each other no one knowing what to say but then i look at Harry whose smiling and burst into laughter. Soon we're all in fits.
"Bloody hell. You worried me there for a moment", Ron says still laughing.
"I mean, i am terrified of course but what can you do?", Harry shrugs.
I squeeze his hand tightly. "You've got us.", I smile.
"I know.", He says staring into my eyes. I get the feeling this means something entirely different to Harry.
"Oh bloody hell", Ron says looking out the carriage window.
"What?", I ask. I tilt my head up and see Draco staring directly at me and Harry's hands intertwined. I quickly pull away and get up but he leaves almost immediately.
"Fuck sake", Harry says under his breath.
"I should talk to him", I say.
"You sure that's such a good idea?", Mione says looking up from her book but i'm already halfway out of the carriage.

"Draco", I say.
He continues walking.
"Draco", I shout.
"MALFOY!", I shout and i swear the carriage goes quiet. He stops and then slowly turns around.
"(Y/N)", He says.
He looks different...tired.
"Are you alright?", I say looking at the bags underneath his eyes.
"Fine", He says.
"Where's Blaise", I ask.
"In here", he says pointing to the carriage next to him.
I run in to see Blaise sitting on his own, looking out the window.
"Blaise".
He looks at me, his face lighting up.
"(Y/N)!", He says as we embrace tightly.
"Merlin, i've missed you so much!", He says.
"Me too. How have you been? You look great", I say eyeing him up and down. He's wearing a new suit, similar to the one Dracos wearing. All black, very smart.
"Why thank you, I'm doing well", He smiles.
"How about you?", He asks gently.
"Oh you know. I'm alright. Really", I say.
"I'm glad to hear".
Draco sits down across from us.
"Thought you'd be more excited Draco", Blaise says, amused.
"You didn't write", He says firmly, looking at me with those piercing grey eyes.
"It was a weird summer.", I say, not daring to look away.
"Not just for you", He says. I notice the cuts on his knuckles, the giant bags underneath his eyes, his messy hair which he always kept so perfect.
"Draco...", I say.
I lean across the carriage and hug him tightly. He doesn't react for a second, clearly shocked. But then something clicks and he falls into my arms.
"Are you okay?", I ask.
"Don't worry about me. How are you", He says as we pull away.
"I'm fine Draco.", I take his hand in mine, and trace my fingers softly over the healing cuts.
He pulls away quickly.
"Blaise tell her how you spent your summer", Draco says, changing the subject.
Blaise grins as he rolls a cigarette.
"Luna", He says dreamily.
"Oh no", I sigh.
"She's the only girl for me (Y/N), She's beautiful. Inside and out.", Blaise says as if he's enchanted.
"Are you entirely sure she didn't sneak you a love potion?", I joke.
"Oh shush. I don't need a love potion. It's just true, pure love. Nothing else.You'll understand once you find it-", he stops suddenly.
Cedric flashes in front of my eyes.
"Shit, i'm so sorry. That was so-".
"Blaise it's fine. You don't need to apologise. I'm happy for you two. She's a lovely girl", I smile, though i feel my voice breaking.
"What i meant was...you'll find that kind of love again. I promise", He says squeezing my hand lightly.
"I know". I say forcing a happy smile.
But i don't want it.
I don't want anyone but him.
I will never fall in love in again.

Dracos POV:
She looks as beautiful as ever.
She always falls asleep on the train rides, it's like a ritual.
Blaise watches me, watching her, knowingly.
"Draco", He says quietly.
"Don't", I say.
I know he'll say the same thing he always does. "Move on". "Find someone else".
But i can't. I only see her. She is my light and my dark and my day and night.
"Be gentle with her this year.", He says.
I avert my gaze to him.
"Meaning?".
"She's been through a lot. The last thing she needs is your feelings in the mix", He says sternly.
It stings but i know he's right.
"I know", I nod.
Once again i must restrain myself for another painful year, and watch longingly from a distance.