Chapter 136

Evelyn's POV

"You ready?" Mal asks and I sigh.

"I won't ever be." I whisper.

"Well you have me and everyone out there who's there for you." Mal says and I take a deep breath. "Come on."

Mal intertwines our hands as we get out the car. I grab my sunglasses even though it's cloudy for some reason and put them on.

We get out the car and immediately I'm met with the Portland Thorns team and all my family and friends in two lines to make a path. Family including the team, they are my family. Even some other players from other teams are here.

"Told you, you have everyone here for you." Mal whispers as she squeezes my hand.

I walk over to the Hearse where I'm met with some of his friends and soldiers. I go up to the front as I hold onto one side. They count to three as we walk over to set down the coffin.

Once that's done, there's a couple of chairs for his wife and kid. Oh and I guess me and J.

"Marcos Rodriguez, a loved son, dad, brother, uncle, nephew, husband, cousin." The dude says.

"I got you." Mal whispers as she places her hand on my shoulder. "I got you."

"And now before we say goodbye to our beloved Marcos, the United States national anthem and the United States of Mexico ."

I stand up as they play the U.S national anthem as I place my hands in front of me.

"Now the Mexico national anthem."

The anthem starts and I place my hand on my heart and start to sing the anthem.

Once it's finished I lower my hand and grab onto Mal's.

Marco's wife goes and puts a flower on his casket then I go, then the rest of my family? Nah. They're not my family.

After everyone leaves a flower the dudes start to lower the coffin.

"I'm so sorry for your loss." Vanessa says as she gives me a hug.

"Thank you for being here." I say and she gives me a smile.

"You were there when my husband and my babygirl passed. We'll always be here." She says and I nod.

My "family" walks over to Andrea and Adan. Hugging them as they all cry. Me? Don't know what crying is.

"Evelyn." I lift my head up and turn around.

"Meghan? Harry? I-what are you guys doing here?"

"Your moms called us, we wanted to be here for you."

"I- uh well thank you. It means a lot to me, really." I say and they both give me soft smiles.

"We're here for you, anything you need." Harry says putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you."

Mal's POV

"You okay? No need to let out anything?"

"Nope, I'm fine." She says as we walk to a table.

Ev's family apparently has a custom to eat after a funeral, new to me. Clearly. I guess others do the same. But we're now eating. It's supposed to be a celebration that he's in a better place.