Chapter 111

Daisy's POV

"Come on Daisy, we have to go." Evelyn whispers.

"Remind me why I'm the person you told this classified information to." I say.

I rub my eyes and grab my sweater as we're about to leave.

"Because you're the only one I could have involved in this with me?"

"Right. Okay. Let's go."

"Where are you guys going? Can I come with?" Mal asks.

Evelyn's eyes are about to jump out of her eye sockets. As I just open my mouth and absolutely nothing comes out.

"Uhh doctors appointment!" I blurt out.

"Doctors appointment? Is everything okay? Neither of you told me about any doctors appointment." Mal says and I smile.

"Just a check up." I say.

"So then why is Ev going with you?"

"Umm support?"

"Okay, that's a first from either of you. Well I'll be here, there's a press conference at twelve. They'll be reveling who the new owner is and hopefully the new coach." Mal says.

"I don't think we'll be back by then but you go ahead and watch it. I'll watch it from where we'll be at." Evelyn says.

This isn't going to go well. I just know it.

Evelyn's POV

"Daisy slap me." I say.

Daisy shrugs and slaps me right across the face.

"Daisy what the fuck!"

"You said to slap you! What do you mean 'what the fuck' you said to do it so I did it."

"Shit. Remind me to never piss you off. God damn my cheek."

Mal's POV

"Welcome everyone, as you have heard the Portland Thorns FC has a new owner. In a couple minutes we will be revealing the new owner."

I turn around to my computer, where I'm on a Zoom call with some of the girls.

"I'm betting on another dude." Kelley says.

"No doubt about that." Andi says.

"I'm also betting on another guy. There's not many women owners." Rose says.

"I mean we never know." Abby says.

"Right because some rich woman would invest in women's soccer."

"Not with that attitude." Sam says and I sigh.

Evelyn's POV

"And now may I introduce to you the new owner of the Portland Thorns..."

"Oh this is going to be great." Daisy says.

Mal's POV

"And now may I introduce to you the new owner of the Portland Thorns, Evelyn Press."

"WHAT!" Everyone yells.

I spit out my water and swallow on my gum. As I choke on my gum all at once.

"MAL!" Midge yells.

"Excuse me what?!" I yell.

"You didn't know?" They all ask.

"Does it look like I knew?" I say.

Tobin's POV

"Uhh Chris?" I say.

"Mommy! Look it's sissy!" Julieta yells.

"What's going o- is that Evelyn? Did she just buy the Thorns?" Chris asks.

I nod and pat the couch so she can sit next to us.

"Let's listen." I say.

Evelyn's POV

"Ms. Press why did you buy the Thorns when there was no word out that it was for sale?"

"Merritt Paulson and I had been talking for some time."

False.

"We talked about the club and he was close to selling it, but I offered to buy it. We need more women." I say.

I offered? No. I demanded? Um no?

"You are one of the few women to actually invest in women's soccer."

"Well I am a woman." I say chuckling.

"Ms. Press why did you fire Mark Parsons?"

"Uhh well I disliked a lot of his decisions, he didn't like the idea that I was buying the club so I fired him. He's not the right person to be the head coach of such a good team and no I'm not being biased because I play for this club." I say nodding.

"Going off what you just said, you play for this club. Will that change in any way how you will determine decisions with this club?"

"Absolutely not. Being the owner and being a player of this club is two completely different things. They will not interfere with my decisions on either side."

"Did you buy the club for your own benefit?" A guy asks.

Uhhh.

"No."

Wait a minute they don't know about my moms. I really do forget things.

"Was the list of the protected and unprotected players made before or after?"

"After." I say.

"Then why wouldn't you protect yourself?"

"The only person that was changed was me, I was protected but I decided to not be protected. Next question." I say motioning with my hand.

"Who is the new head coach?"

I'm glad you asked.

I grin as I look at the reporters and some of the girls.

"The announcement of the new head coach will be in a couple of days."

"Anything you can tell us?"

"Be prepared." I say smiling.

"Thank you everyone, that will be all for today." Matt announces.

I walk out and head over to Daisy who's holding up my phone.

My eyes widen as I unlock it and see the many missed calls of a girl named Mallory Diane Pugh.

Oh boy.

"You're going to have a lot of explaining to not only your fiancée, but also your mothers." Daisy says making me wince.

"I'm dead aren't I?" I ask.

"No doubt about that."

Fuck.