Chapter 138

Evelyn's POV

"Evelyn the world is looking at you, will you break Michelle Akers record of 10 goals in one tournament?" A reporter asks and I take a deep breath.

"Well I'm no Michelle Akers, but you know if I happen to break that record then I do. But I guess we'll just have to see." I say with a nod.

"Evelyn, will you lead this team to become the first ever to win back to back TO BACK World Cup winner?"

"I mean, I'm only 22, I still think I'm starting to learn which I am. Coach Cheney, who is also my aunt, which is isn't biased by the way, but Lauren has faith in my abilities and I sincerely put my playing time in her hands. She knows what she's doing. I trust her."

"You're only 22, your first World Cup was when you were 18 is that correct?"

"Yeah that's correct." I say and the reporter nods.

"Would you play up until 2039? That would be six world cups, making you 38." The reporter says and I chuckle as I rub my neck.

"Whatever happens happens. If I'm still fit, and if I think I'm able to play then sure why not, but I also don't want to take a spot a rookie then can have and help this team succeed." I say and he nods. "But if I'm being honest, I don't know if I would, maybe five world cups, but six? I'd be 38 a grandma. I think by then my wife and I would settle down. Have a family and enjoy life. Who knows."

"All eyes are on you, your first World Cup you were just a rookie an 18 year old that was called up by Jill Ellis, she gave you that shot."

"She did and I'm still thankful for that opportunity. I understand the criticism for her, but she did give me that big opportunity. I'm forever grateful."

"Can we now ask about your issues with former USWNT coach Vlatko Andonovski."

"No." I say sternly.

"Evelyn, you and your family are making a record for first time that a family plays together at a World Cup. How does that feel?"

"Well I didn't know that was a thing, but I love playing with my moms and my wife. My family-"

"Go get em Evelyn! Get that World Cup! I'll always be there with you."

I grab onto the dog tags and I look back to the reporters.

"My family is my entire world." I say clearing my throat.

"It's not a question, but my condolences to you and your family."

"Thank you." I say with a soft smile.

"Evelyn, you wear the number 20. You've worn that number for many years now. That is the same number Abby Wambach wore for many years and is now the coach for the Thorns which you own how does that feel? Is there any significance to the number?"

"Yeah of course. During high school I had actually worn the number seventeen for football, for soccer it was just a random number I decided to get. As I got called up I had a moment to think and realize that number twenty is my number. I always looked up to Abby I mean she's the best of the best. But also when I was adopted I think that twenty also had an impact on me that I never knew would happen. Which is that 20 is 3 from 17 and 3 from 23. Both my moms number, so I think it was all meant to be. Now having Abby as the coach of the team I own, is an honor. Did I hire her? Yes. But she's such a good leader and it's an honor to wear her number. I'll never be her but I'll be the best me I can be."

"That's all for today. Thank you."

"Thank you." I say as I get up from the chair.

I walk away from the table as I stumble over my feet and grab onto the chair.

"Hey, you okay?" Sam asks me as she places her hands on my shoulders. Concern written on her face.

"Huh? Yeah. Where's Mal?"

"She's at the hotel. Why? Is everything okay?" She asks and I give her a smile.

"Yeah no reason. Just miss my wife you know." I say and she nods.

"Right."

Mal's POV

"Wilma or Simba and Nala."

"Wilma." Rose says and I roll my eyes.

"You make me sick Rosemary Kathleen Lavelle. My babies are cute." I say and she hits me with a pillow.

"Don't disrespect Wilma." She says and I hit her back.

"My babies are cu-"

"Can I talk to you?"

I look up and my eyes widen, Ev standing into the distance and I nod. Her hands fidgety as she plays with the dog tags around her neck.

"That's my cue. I'll see you later." Rose says as she heads out.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I pat the spot next to me.

She looks at me and she smiles, her eyes watery.

"Everything." She says as she lays on top of me. "Everything."

I wrap my arms tightly around her as she starts sobbing. Her head buried against my chest.

There it is.

"Baby." I coo.

"It hurts so much. I've been trying to keep it to myself, but I can't. I really can't. It's so overwhelming."

"It's okay babe, I'm right here. Let it all out." I coo as I rub her back.

"Don't leave me." She sobs out.

"Never."