Part 36- night shift

It was 10pm and all of the doctors except link and Henry and Zola where on call. "Grey, Montgomery, Shepard." I need you. Owen hunt said. He was still the trauma chief. "I've got a pregnant woman, 31, says she fell of a ladder and landed on her face." The women walked into the trauma room where they where greated with a pregnant woman who's face was hardly recognisable.

"I'm worried about brain damage because she landed on her head." Owen said. Amelia walked towards the woman's head and did an exam. "Montgomery her baby may be in distress a fall this major could mean bad things." Owen said as he helped Addie attach a baby monitor to the woman's belly. "Grey it's possible she has internal injuries from the fall, I'll need to to take a look at that." Owen said. He left the room and left the women to work alone.

"Why would a heavily pregnant woman climb a ladder." Amelia said. "I mean I'm irresponsible, but I'd never do that." Mer and Addie both nodded and went back to what they where doing.

It was 3am and the surgery on the woman was over. They had had to take her into surgery because she had some brain damage and a ruptured spleen from the fall. Addie had to monitor the baby the whole time in case it became distressed.

The woman sat in the cafeteria. They each had a coffee. Maggie had joined them. She had also had emergency surgery on an old woman who had had a heart attack. Maggie didn't manage to save her.

"Ya know for a moment there I thought that woman was not gonna make it." Addison said. "Yep but we did it, we saved her." Mer replied.
"We are kick ass surgeons." Amelia said and she put her hand in the middle of the table and gestured for the others to do the same. Addie and Mer both did it but Maggie just looked sad and didn't put her hand in. "You ok mags." Mer said.
"I lost her. I could have saved her. I should have saved her. But it was too late. She came to me too late." Maggie said. "Ya know if women knew that their heart attack symptoms where different there would be so much less deaths from female heart attacks." Maggie said. The other woman just looked at her. "Well I think it is important for women to know the symptoms. I mean take Bailey she knew the symptoms and she survived a heart attack." Amelia said.
"Wait Bailey had a heart attack." Addison said. "Yeah a few years ago. Actually it was before COVID so a while ago." Mer said. The women sat in silence for some more time until Maggie and Meredith where paged. Only Amelia and Addie sat in the cafeteria. "Is Maggie ok she seemed to take that loss very hard." Addison said.
"Yeah she does that. It's one of the worst things about her but also one of the best. She cares a lot. About everyone and everything."  Amelia replied before she left to go see a patient. Addie left at the same time, and the cafeteria was empty again.

It was 6am and the women piled into Meredith's car to get home from the night shift. "Who wants tequila." Mer said as she drove home. "Me" Addie and Maggie replied in unison. "Not me." Amelia said after.
" oh no wait. Do you think I'm being a bad mother if I drink and then drop my kid off at school. While I'm drunk." Maggie said. "Yes definitely." Addison said. But at the same time Meredith and Amelia both said no. Addison glared at Mer and then at Amelia until they said yes. The women then got dropped home and Meredith and Addison went home as well. They went to bed and slept.