Chapter 15

"Magnus? What's happening?!" Serena asked worriedly, as she made her way to his living room. 

She'd woken in one of Magnus's rooms, groggy as memories came flooding back. She remembered the wolves and fighting them after she'd broken free of her handcuffs, but she couldn't remember how it ended.

 She also couldn't remember how she got to Magnus' house, but she could take a guess when she reached for her neck and couldn't find her Portal Pendant, a jewel the Downworld had collectively trusted her and her alone with when she'd fought relentlessly with the Council to become the Clave Envoy to Downworlders. The necklace was warlock made, a portal and a few enchantments held within the jewel, but the decision to make it was made by the Downworld. How honoured she'd felt when the Magnus, leader of the warlocks, Meliorn, representing the Seelies, Raphael, representing the vampires and a werewolf named Russell representing the wolves, had presented her with it. 

Majority of the Downworld leaders rarely left the locations from which they ruled, choosing to use proxies rather than attend their weekly meetings in person, something Serena hoped to change, as well as change the way Downworlders interacted with Shadowhunters. 

She never really knew why she felt so strongly about it. But ever since she came to live with the Lightwood's and started interacting with Downworlders, she became determined to fight for them, to give them a voice with the Clave. And they, in turn, fought for her.

"Angel, help Clary!" Magnus pleaded as his blue magic surrounded the body of Lucien Greymark, who looked in bad shape.

Serena knew full well what he was doing.

"Sparkles, take what you need," she said as she knelt next to him and held out a hand.

"Angel -"

"You'll die otherwise! It was not a request." 

And she took his hand, relief flowing through him as the burden of holding onto Luke's life force became a little easier and her strength powered him.

But the building still shook as Alec came running in, Jace and Simon on his heels as Serena groaned in pain and her eyes closed.

He wasted no time in taking Serena's hand, holding her body up as both their strength was funnelled into Magnus.

All were concerned with trying to breathe through the pain of having their strength sapped as Jace and Simon handed Clary the last ingredients for the potion, the girl then feeding the liquid to Luke and Magnus collapsed onto the couple.

"Are you ok?" Serena asked Magnus as Jace helped the exhausted warlock into a chair after he had nodded yes.

Alec then held his wife in his arms.

"I thought you promised to stop scaring me like that?" he said as he brushed the hair from her face.

She gave him a teasing smile. "In my defence, I never said I promise, I said I'll try not to."

He just rolled his eyes at her before pressing her lips to his.