Chapter 159

Their first attempt at removing the rune from Clary and Jonathan hadn't worked. The formula Izzy made had been too weak. But before Serena could help her create a more potent formula, or better yet use the nanoparticles of Glorious in the serum to make a new sword, ops had discovered that there were multiple Drevak demons out and about, and they needed to kill the Queen to kill her offspring. And they needed to do it quickly with all the mundanes out for Halloween.

After briefing everyone and sending them out, Serena had opted to stay behind, get a head start on the formula and keep an eye on Jonathan, as well as keep everyone updated with the hunt for the Queen.

Serena was all alone when the alarms started going off, a breach in the wards.

And she ran for the basement.

******************************************************************

She'd gotten there just in time to block the spear that a Seelie had been about to impale into Jonathan.

But as she duelled with her, green blood sprayed everywhere as Clary appeared through a portal and sliced her head off.

"I won't let anyone hurt you, big brother," she said to Jonathan and he had a look of utter delight on his face.

"You came for me."

"Clary," Serena called uncertainly. "What are you doing?"

"Saving my family."

"Clary, we're your family. Me and Jace and Alec and Izzy."

The girl shook her head defiantly.

"No. You're not."

And she struck at Serena.

The duo fought, Serena playing defensive because she didn't want to hurt Clary, but she didn't see the stele that she'd already slipped Jonathan.

And when she saw him taking off his chains, Clary blocked her from getting to him, putting more and more strength into her attacks. Then Serena switched to offence.

Clary and Jonathan both bled from the wound's she'd inflicted on Clary's arms, leg and one to her ribs before Jonathan was completely free of his straight jacket and pinned the blonde to the stone wall by her throat, his eyes demonically black as her swords fell.

"You have been a thorn in my side for far too long Sweet Little Serena. And until now, I couldn't bear to part with you, but I no longer need a substitute for my sister. Time to say goodbye," he growled.

"Wait!" Clary said but before she could explain why she stopped him, the elevator doors sprang open.

"SERENA!" Izzy yelled and Clary drew up a portal.

"We have to go!" she yelled to Jonathan as Izzy and Simon ran for her.

Jonathan angled his head at the blonde. "Until next time, sweet little Serena."

And darkness consumed her as he knocked her out.